EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   car just started veering right (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/167511-car-just-started-veering-right.html)

NonEvo Nov 2, 2005 06:26 PM

car just started veering right

The other day my car started to veer to the right anytime i accelerate hard from a dead stop and sometimes when im driving down the road. I would blame the veering while im driving on my new rims/tires not being balanced properly, but that would not explain the pull to the right when I accelerate from a dead stop. And usually when it is caused by unbalanced wheels, the veering occurs all the time. Anyone have this problem or any ideas. Could it just be the new tires, i got the Nitto NeoGen's.

EvosLilBro Nov 2, 2005 06:49 PM

pressure is fine and everything? the only time i've ever had any car pull on me is when the front right tire was getting low due to a leak, but i'm not sure why that would be happening to you.

05ES Nov 2, 2005 06:56 PM

From a dead stop does it kind of jump tothe right?
I don't know why it does it but my car does something like that from a dead stop and it's totally stock.
It's wierd...

NonEvo Nov 2, 2005 07:03 PM

i thought the tires looked a little low, but i figured it was normal cause my stock tires always looked low. They set all four at 35 psi, so i will try bumping it up to 40 tomorrow and see if that helps.

ya, it feels like it jumps to the right, but it does not peel out or anything. With the stock tires it only did it when i launched really hard, but now it seems to do it alot more. Maybe it is just the tire pressure. that would explain why it just started when i put the new wheels on and why is does not happen all the time.

superflyevo Nov 2, 2005 07:11 PM

my car does the same thing

ddcha Nov 2, 2005 07:33 PM

Mine veers to the left. Just launched pretty hard after a toll booth and it veered left.

Myszkewicz Nov 2, 2005 09:03 PM

FWD cars will often pull one way or the other during a hard acceleration. It's called torque steer. The RA isn't as bad as a lot of cars I've driven, but it does have some torque steer.

If it's doing it randomly as you drive down the road, check your tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, lug nuts, and alignment.

Ralliartist Nov 2, 2005 09:23 PM

Sounds like the tires. Make sure they're balanced correctly.

NonEvo Nov 2, 2005 09:27 PM

i am going to air up the tires tomorrow to 40psi and see if that does anything.

I knew FWD cars had torque steer(didnt know it was called that) but I dont get why it got so much worse with my new rims and tires. Does not make much since. And if the tires are out of balance or the cars out of alignment it should be pulling all the time. I doubt its the alignment thought because this just started when the rims were put on.

AdamRA Nov 2, 2005 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
FWD cars will often pull one way or the other during a hard acceleration. It's called torque steer. The RA isn't as bad as a lot of cars I've driven, but it does have some torque steer.

If it's doing it randomly as you drive down the road, check your tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, lug nuts, and alignment.

Listen to what he says. You really should check over everything, especially if a shop did this for you. Shops are notoriously known for making simple mistakes because they hire idiots to install tires.

NonEvo Nov 2, 2005 11:18 PM

I used a flash light to look into the second set of lug holes on the rims to see if they were sitting flush on the hub, and they appear to be. I also measured the distance between lugs to make sure they put the correct bolt pattern on the car. I was told the second pattern (5x4.25) will kinda fit on our bolts but will not bolt correctly. And checked all lug nuts for tightness. I do not feel the need to check any suspension parts since the problem did not exist before i got the rims & tires put on. I will air up the tires and see if that helps. If not then i will go back to discount on friday and have the wheels looked over.

thanks for the help.

Ralliartist Nov 3, 2005 12:36 AM

Badly balanced tires will make torque steer much more pronounced.

Myszkewicz Nov 3, 2005 12:53 AM

I didn't notice the part about the new wheels. If they're wider than the stockers or stick out further (different offset), it can make the car wander a little more. Not so much on flat surfaces, but if the roads have sunken tire tracks worn into them, it's pretty bad. Makes you wonder how those guys that put the skateboard wheels on their cars keep them in one lane. :lol:

Biggiesacks Nov 3, 2005 01:09 AM

I hate it when my care does that too. jus playin. check tire pressure, alignment, or crooked road that would be my guess.

bertune Nov 3, 2005 02:54 AM

Try this! put the right wheel on the left side and the left wheel on the right side and see if it still happens, there is a possibility that it might pull the other way or go straight.