EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   Magnaflow Axle back exhaust leak (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/596525-magnaflow-axle-back-exhaust-leak.html)

mikemike396 Feb 4, 2012 12:51 PM

Magnaflow Axle back exhaust leak

Well guys I have a hole in my exhaust :( I am debating weather I should just cut the box off and run a pipe straight out or try and patch the hole. I will be posting a video of the hole in a little bit. Thanks guys for any feed back.

Link -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hueAzxvfyM

CrAnSwIcK Feb 4, 2012 01:34 PM

don't remove the muffler

NorCal Lancer Feb 4, 2012 06:32 PM

patch it

keithislegit Feb 5, 2012 12:05 AM

I blew my stock muffler in half. Like literally in half. The box part and it melted my fender liner, lip, and bumper. ): But then I got it replaced at a muffler shop with a magnaflow axle back with new pipes that wont rust or rot out. Probably the best thing to do is get new pipes. Patching it is only a temp. fix.

CrAnSwIcK Feb 5, 2012 05:35 AM

i would also patch it...sure it's a temp fix...but it could potentially last quite some time, and you can worry about it when you have a few bills laying around to pay an exhaust shop to replace your pipe...

Smike Feb 5, 2012 07:23 AM

My Magnaflow axle back just decided to die as well. Do not go straight pipe; that has half-assed. Patch for now and replace. I will be cutting this muffler out and welding in a new one.

keithislegit Feb 5, 2012 09:32 AM

2 3/4" stainless steel piping all day! lol.

deathsythe99 Feb 5, 2012 12:55 PM

thats from rrm?? makes me debate on buying their exhaust now.

CrAnSwIcK Feb 5, 2012 01:08 PM

yeah, actually, how long have you had it, and is there harsh winters/salty roads where you live?

mikemike396 Feb 5, 2012 05:05 PM

I believe this is the RRM one. Its deffenetly a Magnaflow exhaust. But anyways i bought the car 2 years ago with this exhaust on it. I am guessing it has been on there for about 5 or 6 years. And yes I live in Ohio we get super heavy salted winters. The weird thing is the rest of the exhaust pipe up to the cat is in great shape. Isn't peeling or anything. Makes me wonder if Magnaflow used cheap steal or somthing...

Raikiri Feb 5, 2012 08:37 PM

I have the magnaflow exhaust from RRM as well and one of the hangers decided to rust off letting my exhaust hang solely off the rubber hanger closest to the bumper. I had to get it rewelded last year

deathsythe99 Feb 5, 2012 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri (Post 9943693)
I have the magnaflow exhaust from RRM as well and one of the hangers decided to rust off letting my exhaust hang solely off the rubber hanger closest to the bumper. I had to get it rewelded last year

so is the rrm exhaust really worth buying?

Raikiri Feb 5, 2012 09:48 PM

i would say all you probably need is the axleback and get custom piping done in the right size. would be cheaper in my opinion

$MIVEC$ Feb 6, 2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by deathsythe99 (Post 9943783)
so is the rrm exhaust really worth buying?

RRM is/was just a reseller of a universal muffler. Your question should be if the Magnaflow muffler is worth it.

My RA has had it for 6years but i bought it cheap(real cheap) from another RA owner. IIRC RRM is only selling now the catback for 530 and their price for the axleback was like $400+.

If you want nice deep tone get a magnaflow or borla but if you just want to open up a bit try getting a Dynomax one its cheap and many people here(PR) have gotten noticeable dyno gains with a proper exhaust done, talking about just 1-4hp.

deathsythe99 Feb 6, 2012 08:42 PM

well the reason im buying an exhaust is because my current piping is horrible so i want to know if their catback exhaust is any good.