EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   power steering fluid (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/611558-power-steering-fluid.html)

Black Rally May 12, 2012 08:36 PM

power steering fluid

yes!!!! I did search about this before do this thread.

My power steering fluid is in the minimum line. Can I just add any other brand or I need to flush it and use the new one?

$MIVEC$ May 12, 2012 09:02 PM

Has it ever been flushed?

I flushed mine once and put in OEM fluid from mitsu but anything with OEM specifications will do. I would flush it depending on the mileage if its never been done but just refilling would do.

Black Rally May 12, 2012 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by $MIVEC$ (Post 10159778)
Has it ever been flushed?

I flushed mine once and put in OEM fluid from mitsu but anything with OEM specifications will do. I would flush it depending on the mileage if its never been done but just refilling would do.

i have to flush it :lol:

But get the OEM Fluid here is a PITA, I will call Monday morning to my nearest dealership and see how much they want for the bottle. :crap:

$MIVEC$ May 13, 2012 09:02 AM

You could just get the brand you trust with the correct fluid specification and it will do...I just go to my nearest dealership parts store since their fluids are not expensive....meh im just a freak with maintenance schedule and fluids :lol:

CrAnSwIcK May 13, 2012 02:18 PM

in the manual it specifies OEM fluid only, or it could cause damage to the system, and i did read somewhere that regular power steering fluid, like prestone or whatever eats your seals...our OEM fluid looks a lot like automatic transmission fluid and lots of cars actually use it in the system...but better safe than sorry, i used OEM when i replace my pump...

$MIVEC$ May 13, 2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 10160669)
in the manual it specifies OEM fluid only, or it could cause damage to the system, and i did read somewhere that regular power steering fluid, like prestone or whatever eats your seals...our OEM fluid looks a lot like automatic transmission fluid and lots of cars actually use it in the system...but better safe than sorry, i used OEM when i replace my pump...

Actually aftet looking this up, you are correct some posts here say to add ATF fluid for the Power Steering in lancers :confused:

Well scratch the Auto Parts stuff. Just go get OEM fluid....its better to be safe than sorry

xmaster19 May 13, 2012 07:08 PM

I used ATF in all my cars power steering system with no problem ever. All the manuals said to use OEM fluids only, what else could they say? Please use fluids that come from anywhere else?? :P

:lol::lol::lol:

CrAnSwIcK May 14, 2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by xmaster19 (Post 10161099)
I used ATF in all my cars power steering system with no problem ever. All the manuals said to use OEM fluids only, what else could they say? Please use fluids that come from anywhere else?? :P

:lol::lol::lol:

mitsubishi actually specifies when a non-OEM fluid is safe to use, and they provide the specification...for power steering the say OEM only, but ATF will work...

$MIVEC$ May 14, 2012 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 10162207)
mitsubishi actually specifies when a non-OEM fluid is safe to use, and they provide the specification...for power steering the say OEM only, but ATF will work...

His post made me look in the manual and yeah you are correct :updown:

As we all thought you can use what ever we want. The words the manual uses are Recomended OEM fluid or "Equivalent".

Of course they will vouch for their products but DOT and SAE specifications are for something aren't they....

What is true is that Brake Fluid, Oil, Coolant, Gear oil and ATF fluids all have recommended OEM fluids and equivalent suggestions but Power Steering fluid they only recommend OEM fluid.

Ralliart367 Jan 31, 2013 06:01 PM

Gonna revive this for a second
Just checked my fluid and its brown and below minimum. Gonna do the flush but the question is how much fluid does the power steering pump hold in total? Ima do a full flush and refill.

CrAnSwIcK Feb 1, 2013 12:21 PM

not sure, when i serviced mine i remember using at least a quart...

arturo77 Dec 24, 2017 11:20 AM

What kind of fluid (specification) may i use to replace power steering fluid ?