EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   06 Key Issue (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/750207-06-key-issue.html)

06mivec Aug 2, 2018 01:35 PM

06 Key Issue

Hey guys. Finally got my $440 06 ralliart with 168,000 kms on the road after a timing belt, water pump and oil pan install. I still have a few lingering issues i'm working out but the most annoying one is the key.

So, when i go to start the car, turn the key to the on position everything goes on as it should. When i turn it to crank, sometimes it will start and sometimes nothing happens. But if i turn the key back off or leave it "on" and jiggle it, then try to crank, it will crank and run as it should. It seems to be getting worse as i am now driving the car more often.

Is this the ignition switch or lock cylinder? If i do have to change anything, do i have to get the new keys programmed? Are 06 RA keys chipped?

Thanks

Darewood Aug 5, 2018 09:20 AM

I've had this issue for two years now haha. I believe our keys are chipped. As for the lithe question not sure either what it would be exactly.

06mivec Aug 5, 2018 09:26 AM

Thanks for replying! Yesterday i figured out if i push inwards on the key, it starts every time. So far thats been working for me.

Darewood Aug 5, 2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 06mivec (Post 11833928)
Thanks for replying! Yesterday i figured out if i push inwards on the key, it starts every time. So far thats been working for me.

Haha that's exactly what i have to do! Guess i should have mentioned that part.

Darewood Aug 18, 2018 07:26 PM

I just ended up with a possible new scenario. Unsure if it's related to the switch or not. But when you can't get your car to start. Does everything just shut off? I'm starting to experience an odd situation where I turn the key to run and literally everything shuts off. If i hold the key in and go to start. The engine fires up with 3-5 seconds. Its odd

YourNameHere Aug 20, 2018 12:44 PM

This reply may be a little late, but I had similar issues and found that the ignition switch was bad. First I pulled it and cleaned all the contacts and checked the springs, but it didn't do any good. In the end I just put a new switch in and it's been fine since.

Darewood Aug 21, 2018 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by YourNameHere (Post 11835757)
This reply may be a little late, but I had similar issues and found that the ignition switch was bad. First I pulled it and cleaned all the contacts and checked the springs, but it didn't do any good. In the end I just put a new switch in and it's been fine since.

actually for me...it was my negative battery terminal lead (Forgive me if it's not the right term). The outside of the metal was perfectly fine, but the inside of it was coated in rust. I attempted to get the inside clean, but ended up just buying a new lead and installing. Haven't had an issue with it in a couple days now.

I even went out and bought a new alternator thinking that was the culprit for the dead battery. Not a huge loss as it was 200K+ on the original alternator.

CrAnSwIcK Aug 23, 2018 05:39 PM

If you turn your key to the start position, and press hard or jiggle and it starts, it's for sure the ignition switch...very common in these cars, happened to my 03 ES, and is starting to happen on my ralliart.

Loose terminal can act like an ignition switch, but usually with the Lancers you still get accessory power, and it's the start switch that is buggered. With the loose terminal, aside from corrosion building up eventually filling the gap completely, usually both accessory AND start will be intermittent.

06mivec Aug 24, 2018 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 11836231)
If you turn your key to the start position, and press hard or jiggle and it starts, it's for sure the ignition switch...very common in these cars, happened to my 03 ES, and is starting to happen on my ralliart.

Loose terminal can act like an ignition switch, but usually with the Lancers you still get accessory power, and it's the start switch that is buggered. With the loose terminal, aside from corrosion building up eventually filling the gap completely, usually both accessory AND start will be intermittent.

Yup this is the issue with mine. I have to either press hard inwards or jiggle it to get it to start. I may go ahead and just replace it, seems like a fairly simple task. Hopefully i can find one.

Darewood Sep 15, 2018 10:02 AM

Cranswick to the rescue! Thanks! I'll have to replace that here shortly as well. Same symptoms. Looks like Rockauto has one for $35 , not bad.

Darewood Oct 10, 2018 08:19 AM

In case anyone else has this issue. Before you buy a new ignition switch, take it apart and clean the connectors. Followed some advice over in the evo forum to do just that. Car fires right up now, no having to push the key in.

I'll see how long this actually lasts though. The hole didn't look too bad, so i feel like it could just be a connection issue.

CrAnSwIcK Oct 13, 2018 04:53 AM

Good to know...I just replaced the switch on my 03, without a second thought...but now if the ralliart starts to get worse I will look into this ....

Darewood Oct 14, 2018 04:27 AM

Yea the only reason I even tried the suggestion was because the switch I recieved had 6 pins instead of 5. So figured since it's all apart, I might as well give that a shot.

06mivec Dec 27, 2018 09:43 AM

Well, i finally stopped being lazy and ordered a new standard motor products ignition switch for $60 CAD. Swapped it out and my issue is solved. Now the only problem left is to break the habit of pushing the key inwards lol.