EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   Anyone ever completed an AWD swap? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/754559-anyone-ever-completed-awd-swap.html)

Fourdoor May 25, 2019 10:42 PM

Anyone ever completed an AWD swap?

I have read a few threads where someone started this project, but I have not found any where the person who started the project ever followed through to completion. Am I missing a thread somewhere? The one that caught my eye for "something unique" was the 2004 sportback Lancer.

Granted, anyone doing an AWD conversion of a regular lancer will be smashed with the "just buy a used EVO" hammer... but you can't get an EVO wagon in this country so the sportback lancer AWD conversion is slightly more understandable.

Keith

PS: I have owned several EVO's, don't have any desire to hear the "just buy and EVO" commentary. Not even saying that I would do this myself... just wondering if anyone followed through on the idea.

bakuro117 May 29, 2019 07:45 AM

Doncarbone started an AWD conversion on his base model Lancer. Looked as if he had it done, but he ended up selling it off to a guy I recently met via Facebook. This guy is in the process of "fixing things" he says and getting the motor completed and back together. There was also a guy in Hawaii who is converting his Sportback to Evo Wagon specs. He's completed the body stuff so it looks the part, but its still fwd for the time being. This guy has also completed a Mirage to Evo 5 conversion so I have no doubt he'll get it done eventually.

From what I understand it takes quite a few Evo parts to make it happen. If you're serious about doing it, I won't hit you with the "just buy a used Evo" thing. I'll instead hit you with, I'd look into buying a wrecked Evo for the parts. LOL

Just off the top of my head, you'll need the Evo's floor pan from the trunk unless you're ok with chopping up the floor. You'll need the whole rear end setup (hubs, subframe, axles, diff, etc.) you'll need the front subframe, steering rack, and rear motor mount so that the transfer case you need will fit. You'll need to add some sort of support in the tunnel for a carrier bearing or two depending on the driveshaft you use. And you'll need to modify or remake the exhaust to clear the driveshaft. And of course, you'll need the transmission, axles, and a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate meaning that you'll have to convert the Sportback to be a manual since they with only autos... Which adds a shifter assembly, cables, brake pedal, clutch pedal, brake, master, and slave cylinders and the associated lines to the mix. And I'm sure that I'm missing a dozen little things here and there.

Needless to say, it'll be a very extensive project. And having a donor car to pull all of this stuff from would be the simplest way to go about it in my opinion vs trying to piece everything together and guess at the mounting points.

If you go for it, PLEASE post about it. I would love to see the progress.

rong. May 30, 2019 01:15 PM

Awd lancer wagon

I'm still in process of finishing mine. Easiest way woul definitely use Evo as base vehicle . Front frame rails are different, by a little. Especially passenger side. Rear bumper was shipped from Japan with plastic side pieces 2000$
lots of spot weld drilling and cutting! I'm am not much further with mine due to kids, wife, rentals, job, and regular Evo. Trying to get ready for shootout !
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...8613e2904.jpeg

CrAnSwIcK Jun 5, 2019 10:17 AM

Dude if that thing's ready for shootout, I'm going...lol...I'm assuming you meant the already Evo...

One day my 06 Ralliart will go back to the shootout...

Fourdoor Jun 6, 2019 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bakuro117 (Post 11874114)
Doncarbone started an AWD conversion on his base model Lancer. Looked as if he had it done, but he ended up selling it off to a guy I recently met via Facebook. This guy is in the process of "fixing things" he says and getting the motor completed and back together. There was also a guy in Hawaii who is converting his Sportback to Evo Wagon specs. He's completed the body stuff so it looks the part, but its still fwd for the time being. This guy has also completed a Mirage to Evo 5 conversion so I have no doubt he'll get it done eventually.

From what I understand it takes quite a few Evo parts to make it happen. If you're serious about doing it, I won't hit you with the "just buy a used Evo" thing. I'll instead hit you with, I'd look into buying a wrecked Evo for the parts. LOL

Just off the top of my head, you'll need the Evo's floor pan from the trunk unless you're ok with chopping up the floor. You'll need the whole rear end setup (hubs, subframe, axles, diff, etc.) you'll need the front subframe, steering rack, and rear motor mount so that the transfer case you need will fit. You'll need to add some sort of support in the tunnel for a carrier bearing or two depending on the driveshaft you use. And you'll need to modify or remake the exhaust to clear the driveshaft. And of course, you'll need the transmission, axles, and a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate meaning that you'll have to convert the Sportback to be a manual since they with only autos... Which adds a shifter assembly, cables, brake pedal, clutch pedal, brake, master, and slave cylinders and the associated lines to the mix. And I'm sure that I'm missing a dozen little things here and there.

Needless to say, it'll be a very extensive project. And having a donor car to pull all of this stuff from would be the simplest way to go about it in my opinion vs trying to piece everything together and guess at the mounting points.

If you go for it, PLEASE post about it. I would love to see the progress.

If I do something like this, nobody will know I am seriously considering it until I have a completed car and a fully documented build thread :) I will not be one of a dozen guys to start the project, get people interested, and then disappear into thin air. I have considered sourcing the 5 speed auto used in the Japan spec EVO VII instead of doing a manual swap (just to be different) and getting the rest of the parts from a wrecked EVO. I would prefer to purchase a wrecked EVO from a board member who purchases the wreck back from their insurance company rather than an auction car. If I were to do this I would want to use an 05 or 06 donor car to go with the ACD rather than a VC limited slip center differential even though it is more complicated. The one thing I would want to keep from the 04 Ralliart wagon would be the drive by wire setup, with (if possible) a larger bore drive by wire throttle body. The question of engine to go with will have to be resolved... Will an EVO VII auto transmission bolt up to the 4G69? Will a twin cam EVO IX head bolt onto the 4G69 block? Things like that.

Later,

Keith

bakuro117 Jun 6, 2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdoor (Post 11875196)
The one thing I would want to keep from the 04 Ralliart wagon would be the drive by wire setup, with (if possible) a larger bore drive by wire throttle body. The question of engine to go with will have to be resolved... Will an EVO VII auto transmission bolt up to the 4G69? Will a twin cam EVO IX head bolt onto the 4G69 block? Things like that.

If you wanna keep DBW then I'd suggest looking into an aftermarket ECU like the Haltech Elite 1500 or 2500. Because you'll have a hard time getting such a crazy engine, trans, DBW setup working happily on a factory ECU. I actually just converted my Evo IX to DBW using a 4g Eclipse Pedal, and a 4g Eclipse GT Throttle Body (which, as you asked about is bigger than the stock on the 4g69).

As for the Auto trans question. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Every Evo 7/8/9 4g63, 4g69, and 3G Eclipse 4g64 (models where the engine is on the left side of the engine bay) I've ever seen has the same bell housing pattern and the back side of the crank is identical other than the Auto models having a bearing pressed into the end of it.

And an Evo IX head will bolt onto a 4G69 block. I've done it. You just have to use all the Evo timing components. I'd also recommend swapping the rods and pistons while you're in there. The stock ones won't hold up to the power that a stock Evo IX turbo is capable of making.

bakuro117 Jun 6, 2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 11875086)
Dude if that thing's ready for shootout, I'm going...lol...I'm assuming you meant the already Evo...

One day my 06 Ralliart will go back to the shootout...

You need to come on down anyway man. You can hang out with me and the other Haltech guys! We always have a good time. Im trying to convince one of my Techs to bring up his RB26 swapped S13 to race in the RB class. I'll be bringing my car to cruise around in. And my brother is hoping to bring his RA. Its gunna be a blast man!

Fourdoor Jun 6, 2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117 (Post 11875254)
If you wanna keep DBW then I'd suggest looking into an aftermarket ECU like the Haltech Elite 1500 or 2500. Because you'll have a hard time getting such a crazy engine, trans, DBW setup working happily on a factory ECU. I actually just converted my Evo IX to DBW using a 4g Eclipse Pedal, and a 4g Eclipse GT Throttle Body (which, as you asked about is bigger than the stock on the 4g69).

As for the Auto trans question. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Every Evo 7/8/9 4g63, 4g69, and 3G Eclipse 4g64 (models where the engine is on the left side of the engine bay) I've ever seen has the same bell housing pattern and the back side of the crank is identical other than the Auto models having a bearing pressed into the end of it.

And an Evo IX head will bolt onto a 4G69 block. I've done it. You just have to use all the Evo timing components. I'd also recommend swapping the rods and pistons while you're in there. The stock ones won't hold up to the power that a stock Evo IX turbo is capable of making.

Thanks for the info! I have used stand alone ECU's in the past ( AEM EMS on EVO VIII, and megasquirt on a Miata) so that sounds like a sensible solution. Do you have a build thread on your car with the twin cam head swap detailed?

Keith.

bakuro117 Jun 7, 2019 07:45 AM

It's not very detailed but you can see some of the stuff I used in this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...-ralliart.html

If you want something more detailed Mitsuorder did a very in-depth build here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...xperiment.html

Fourdoor May 24, 2020 12:29 AM

Well, I lost interest in doing an AWD conversion on my 2004 Lancer Ralliart Sportback... lucky for the community (and my wallet), I didn't hack it up before loosing interest! For me it wasn't so much loosing interest as not having a good place to work on it and store / hack apart donor vehicles to get parts for the conversion. The only thing I accomplished was a nice vacation to go purchase the car and drive it cross country back to Arkansas, and putting new tires and wiper blades on it.

This is sort of a niche car, what would be best advice on how to sell it?

Thanks,

Keith

Blue_Lion Jul 14, 2020 09:31 PM

in the end you saved yourself the headache and money. as far as selling, you can try your luck with craigslist or if you know someone with a teen that needs their first car. i remember starting out with an 04 Ralliart and loved the go kart feel of it. good luck!