Notices

Gauge Clusters Swap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Gauge Clusters Swap

Does anyone know if the gauge cluster from a 2004 Lancer Ralliart can be swapped with the same year Ralliart Evolution spirit of competition cluster? Don't want to spend the extra money if it doesn't work.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im pretty sure it should...but I'm not 100%..

I know some people on here have swapped to evo clusters....but I don't know if there's anything else you have to do aside from plugging it in...

my guess is no...but I also don't want to steer ya wrong
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Any evo cluster VII-IX cluster will work. Not sure about the ones with the Gravel/Tarmac lights on them though. I had to move around a few bulbs in mine to get some things to light up properly but it works.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Any evo cluster VII-IX cluster will work. Not sure about the ones with the Gravel/Tarmac lights on them though. I had to move around a few bulbs in mine to get some things to light up properly but it works.
Awesome can the counter be switched as well to reflect the actual mileage of the vehicle?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
im pretty sure it should...but I'm not 100%..

I know some people on here have swapped to evo clusters....but I don't know if there's anything else you have to do aside from plugging it in...

my guess is no...but I also don't want to steer ya wrong
They are plug and play, but my concern is with things like lighting the cluster, showing the actual mileage, an proper readouts.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

it shouldn't show actual mileage unless you somehow reprogram it...it should whatever mileage the evo had when you took it out of it

honestly I think if you tried to swap the module thing inside etc it'd be WAY more trouble than it's worth and likely you'd end up destroying both clusters

I'd just make sure to make a note somewhere(of both mileages) so you can do some math and figure out your actual mileage if you ever need it
Old Feb 19, 2015, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

There is no way to change the mileage in the clusters. it is internally programmed. Whatever miles were on the cluster when it was removed will be what it will show when you install it in your car.

As for lighting. Like I said I had to move a few of the LEDs around but its not difficult at all. Twist to loosen, remove, insert in proper location, twist to tighten, done.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
There is no way to change the mileage in the clusters. it is internally programmed. Whatever miles were on the cluster when it was removed will be what it will show when you install it in your car.

As for lighting. Like I said I had to move a few of the LEDs around but its not difficult at all. Twist to loosen, remove, insert in proper location, twist to tighten, done.
As far as the mileage goes, I was talking switching the LCD Display "thingy". Such Technical. LOL
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

LOL That would involve desoldering the one from its circuitboard and them removing it. Which unless your really good at that sort of thing, would be quite difficult. Plus I highly doubt the LCD display stores that info. Its probably in an onboard chip and the display is just that, a display.

I looked into this a while back and as long as mitsubishi has been using these clusters (at least since 2001 maybe longer) Ive not seen anyone who was able to, or spent enough time trying to hack them to alter the mileage.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

I might be able to make it work if it is stored in the chip underneath the LCD. We will see in the future
Old Feb 19, 2015, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Aren't there shops out there that can program it to match the current mileage?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Aren't there shops out there that can program it to match the current mileage?
I have not a clue, but it would be interesting to find out.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

I know some shops can do it for certain cars(mostly salvage yards)...
but like bakuro said...probably nobody has done it or cares about doing it for a lancer

if u have a ls/es that needs a cluster you probably don't care about the car and just get a used one slapped in...(and if you're smart note down the mileage so you can calculate actual mileage later)
if u have a RA and need a cluster u probably get an evo one and are satisfied u have a evo one...(and if you're smart note down the mileage so you can calculate actual mileage later)
if u have an evo and need a cluster...you don't care because it's probably your racecar and don't care about mileage...

if you're swapping it out for the heck of it to make your dash look better...
well...again....
you get a evo one and are satisfied with the evo one and note the mileage and be happy...
swap your bulbs as needed and you're done...

(ps if you need a cluster removal how-to...I made one years ago in the how to section...it's not too hard)

Last edited by nekkidlad; Feb 20, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thing is I care and I will find a way.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

then find a way and post it here for others that do...

personally I'd care too...
but if takes me too long I'd just loose interest and just keep the oe one instead of dealing with minor issues with an evo one...

Quick Reply: Gauge Clusters Swap