Notices

How-To: Disassemble/Assemble F5M42 Manual Transmission

Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
How-To: Disassemble/Assemble F5M42 Manual Transmission

If you have any more questions feel free to post up here or on my channel, I will reply as soon as I can...thanks for watching.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 22, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Qshiplvr (Feb 22, 2020)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

reserved for assembly
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

reserved for FAQ

Q.
Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Hi Cranswick,

I am changing both input shat bearings. In ASA and on your disassembly video, they seem to be at the end of the shaft on their respective ends just after the C clip.
If that is the case, do I need a press to change them, also, when putting the shafts back into the case, is there more than reversing the process you demonstrate in the video ?

For the end cap that you punch out with the screwdriver, MD746157, do you normally get it at the dealer ?
A. Yes, both the input and output shaft bearings need the be pressed on and off...there is a C clip, which is easy enough to remove, and will be covered in a future video. Reassembly is the exact reverse, unless replacing the differential or differential bearings, then you would need to do a differential preload adjustment. it should be verified regardless, but it's not critical if for example, replacing a shift fork, in a recently overhauled transmission, like I did about a week ago. What I was planning on covering in the reassembly is, just make sure the shift forks are properly engaged with the synchro sleeves, when you put the case back on, the far output shaft bearing will not seat close to the snap ring unless the shift rails are aligned with the case. what I found easiest is to use a pry bar or large common screwdriver to lift the output shaft through the reverse idler cover plate, while spreading the snap ring, once the ring is around the bearing, but not in the groove, I finger-tight install a couple case bolts, flip it over, and drop it softly on the case end until the snap ring engages the groove on the bearing race. I buy parts from my local dealer, RTM Racing, or jnztuning.com...depends on how bad I need it, and who can get it there faster...if I need random stuff, and it's no hurry, like vacuum hose, tranny oil, brake fluid as well as OEM parts, I just get them all in one order from RTM Racing...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jul 14, 2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Reserved! LOL

Excellent video. I actually feel like I could do this myself now. Thank you! Cant wait for the assembly video. Nice work!!!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

i already put my transmission back together to reduce my down time, but i will use my original VIN transmission that got destroyed by the old clutch to demonstrate the key assembly points, but the rest of it is simply the reverse of the disassembly.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
True, assembly is fast and easy. I have another tranny that Crans and I will take apart, we can do an assembly video then (I will hold the camera )
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great video Cranswick, working and filming while still making it look easy. Plus it looked cold too.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is amazing! I will watch this video over and over again until I get used to all the parts and little things involved. Then when it gets warmer, I will drive over and I'll for sure be able to finally go through with my transmission overhaul.

Great job bro! Can't wait for the assembly video!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Hi Cranswick,

I am changing both input shat bearings. In ASA and on your disassembly video, they seem to be at the end of the shaft on their respective ends just after the C clip.
If that is the case, do I need a press to change them, also, when putting the shafts back into the case, is there more than reversing the process you demonstrate in the video ?

For the end cap that you punch out with the screwdriver, MD746157, do you normally get it at the dealer ?

Thanks.
P.S. I sent a pm about this but the forum is a better place since others may be interested.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Hi Cranswick,

Thanks.
P.S. I sent a pm about this but the forum is a better place since others may be interested.

replied in PM and in this thread's FAQ...FAQ reply is more detailed, good luck with the overhaul, hope you don't find anything too scary...I have a few spare parts, but they are all used **** I have some new OEM as well, like the input shaft seal for example, I keep in stock
Old Jul 22, 2015, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

For anyone changing the input shaft bearings see how the dealer does it:

Cheers.

P.S. How's that cough differential carrier bearing preload cough video coming along ?

Last edited by 2006_RA; Jul 23, 2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

I have said in the past it can be done by hand...

also, they didn't actually show how they got that inner race off the input shaft
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

^^ not a shot at you by any means, just wanted to show that it need not be too daunting.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Jul 24, 2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Alternate output shaft bearing from SKF, this is the one with the groove for the circlip :

Old Oct 16, 2015, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down

the inner race seems like it has some more meat to it...is that from a kit George, or ordered as an individual?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Disassemble/Assemble F5M42 Manual Transmission