Notices

05 Ralliart snapped timing belt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Ralliart snapped timing belt

I just bought a 2005 Ralliart as a result of my 2002 Lancer ES being totaled. The timing belt broke a couple weeks ago (the reason I only paid $500) and it’s the first work needed to get back running. I work at a car shop but I’ve never done timing belts before. I’ve watched some YouTube videos and done research but I want to see if I can get more personal input from someone with mitsu experience. Any assistance on tools, procedure or anything useful is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance 😁
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
That's an interference engine, if your timing belt snapped your valves are probably bent. You're gonna want to pull the head to inspect it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
That's an interference engine, if your timing belt snapped your valves are probably bent. You're gonna want to pull the head to inspect it.
😬 I’ve heard rumors of that being the case. Definitely gonna open it up and check when I get to the shop. I really hope they’re not damaged 😭
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Moore
😬 I’ve heard rumors of that being the case. Definitely gonna open it up and check when I get to the shop. I really hope they’re not damaged 😭
Be sure to check the pistons for damage from valve contact as well. It'd be wise to get ahold of the factory workshop manual for your car as it'll give you all the steps and specs you need for the job.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Be sure to check the pistons for damage from valve contact as well. It'd be wise to get ahold of the factory workshop manual for your car as it'll give you all the steps and specs you need for the job.
is there any way to obtain the physical copy? The shop has the info on allDATA and other computer programs but that doesn’t help when I’m at home 😅
Old Apr 8, 2019, 05:48 PM

This is the manual I used to do my timing belt replacement (same year as yours)… Just follow the instructions in the first post and you'll have a pdf copy..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...able-here.html.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 09:37 AM

Do I have to put the car on a lift or can it be done on the ground?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Moore
Do I have to put the car on a lift or can it be done on the ground?
Id recommend putting the front end on jack stands and taking the front right tire off so you can have easy access to the serp system and the lower timing cover/system.. However it can still can be done without being jacked up but its tight and a PITA...
Old May 3, 2023, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
You won't need a lift. But getting it up on jack stands and taking the tire off will help tremendously.