Notices

Trunk Hole Plugs

Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Hole Plugs

hey guys, i totally forgot i was going to post this up for a few guys here on the forums (my apologies). this is for when you go wingless and done want those ugly holes in your trunk. also looks a whole lot better then using tape or some other ghetto crap like that. lol

you can get all this stuff at your local lowes/home depo

heres what you need:
1 x 1/2 inch nylon hole plug.
6 x plastic fir-trees
clear silicon sealant
sandpaper
paint to match your car and clear coat

First take off your wing. easy enough.

now after you do that you will see the 4 holes from the bolts, 1 bigger hole where the rubber grommet and the wire(s) for the brake light in the wing goes, and two other holes that have black plugs in them.

take out the black plastic plugs, do be careful though you could mess up the paint around the edges of the trunk hole.

after thats done, clean up the area where your wing was bolted down to the trunk. it may be dirty or discolored from water getting under the wing and sitting there forever. using a clay bar, some wax and a quick buff should do the trick.

now its time to prep the plugs.

take the 1 larger nylon plug and the 6 fir-tree plugs and use the sandpaper to rough up the tops.

stick them either in a box or folded piece of paper...something you can use to stick the plugs straight into so that you can spray the tops with the paint that matches your car color. i just took a oil filter box, punch some holes in it and pushed the plugs into the box.

then spray the tops of the plugs with your matching car paint. do a few coats. then after wards use the clear coat for a few coats.

after the plugs are all nice and coated/clear coated. take the clear silicon sealant and put some on your finger, rub it to the underside of the plugs (thats the underside of where you painted) and try not to use too much, just enough to when you place it in the trunk hole it will seal all the way around, and not too much where it comes out from under the plug when you press it down.

for the one bigger plug for the bigger trunk hole, just put a litter around the sides. this 1/2inch plug is the perfect size for that trunk hole, but it dosnt really have a edge like the fir-trees plugs.

after everything is done, your trunk holes will be sealed, no water or crap will get into your trunk, and it will look like some nice painted rivets in the trunk. not the crappy colored tape look
ill post some pics tomorrow morning, its too dark to take pics.

also if you ever have to take out the plugs to either re-paint them or you want to install your wing again, use a plastic scrapper or you will def mess up your paint.

let me know if you have any questions.
-Flip
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Hole Plugs-prep-paint.jpg   Trunk Hole Plugs-ugly-holes.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by Flip; Jan 9, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
good writeup

you just had to call out my ghetto tape didnt ya? dickk! lmao jk but i will definitely look into this. where did you get the paint? i've been looking for touchup paint for the car but all the pens they sell at autozone none are for mitsus =/ is dealer the only place to go?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
good writeup

you just had to call out my ghetto tape didnt ya? dickk! lmao jk but i will definitely look into this. where did you get the paint? i've been looking for touchup paint for the car but all the pens they sell at autozone none are for mitsus =/ is dealer the only place to go?
lol! i didnt say any names now did I!!!!...cough....Raikiri....cough....
for the paint, i had the same problem, i just got to the closest color to the white as i could get, but turns out those paint pens suck...big time. after a few tries, the paint with those pens would just break off and just suck. so i said F*** it and got some actual spray can paint and went to town. its held up though many car washes and the rain. still looking good.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
pics!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

here are a few pics, sorry it took a while. enjoi!!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Hole Plugs-2011-01-23_16-01-19_383.jpg   Trunk Hole Plugs-2011-01-23_16-01-30_567.jpg  
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
how'd you get the black plugs off your trunk? I've been trying to figure out how to do that for a while
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
how'd you get the black plugs off your trunk? I've been trying to figure out how to do that for a while
very carefully! i used a flat head screwdriver, put it inside of the plastic piece, moved it back and foth a little bit, just till i got some of the edge to pop up, then used a pair of pliers to yank them straight out. you could prob use a plastic scraper to lift up the edge a bit and use the pliers too. that actually might be easier.
-Flip

Last edited by Flip; Jan 23, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:05 PM

hey flip im getting ready to do this too i think getting kind of tired of the wing
is there a specific size to the "fir-tree" plugs? or is there pretty much only 1 standard size that you saw? might try to find something that will actually fit flush inside the whole to keep the trunk as smooth as possible without too much work. hopefully get it done in the next week or so and get some pics up
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrimzka
hey flip im getting ready to do this too i think getting kind of tired of the wing
is there a specific size to the "fir-tree" plugs? or is there pretty much only 1 standard size that you saw? might try to find something that will actually fit flush inside the whole to keep the trunk as smooth as possible without too much work. hopefully get it done in the next week or so and get some pics up
usually they are all one size, you could sand them down to make them more flush/smooth with the trunk. as long as you make them all the same. i kind of like how mine look like rivets.

you dont want them to fit exactly the hole size, you want the cap to extend over the hole a little bit so you can apply some clear silicon sealant, so it seals the trunk and no water gets inside.
-Flip

Last edited by Flip; Feb 4, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:31 AM

thanks for the write up OP. i wouldn't have ever thought of this if it wasn't for me finding this thread via Google. i was originally going to use electrical tape and color matching it to my car, but this by far is the best solution i've found. car is definitely nothing compared to an evo, but i hated my wing and i decided to take it off yesterday. here are some pics of the results:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

hey no problem bro, nice job btw on your trunk hole plugs, they turned out nice. yea the electrical tape method is hella ghetto. and if you want your spoiler back on, you dont have to have someone re-drill the holes.
-Flip
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Sticky Please!!!