Notices

Camber Plates for Tein Street Basis Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Camber Plates for Tein Street Basis Coilovers

These coilovers use your stock strut bearing and top hat.

I've been using the eccentric camber bolts. Work fine, but I want to learn about camber plates. btw, Evo 9 items fit the humble Lancer.

Tein does not make camber plates for Street Basis. They also say do not use them with camber plates or try to stack spacers and such to try to make camber plates fit. (credit to Rallysportdirect, part way down the page: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...unts/questions).

Well, I bought SilverProject front camber plates from the Polish company's website before I knew all this. (Arrived in 3 days. Yay!) Trying to assemble them onto the coilovers I could see why the Tein factory says no. There is nothing to locate and hold the spring on-center, and nothing to connect the original strut bearing plate to the strut shaft. Sloppy fit:

What is needed is a way to center the spring and join it to the strut shaft. Also, this design must make that assembly "as one" with the spherical bearing (pillowball) while allowing angular adjustment with respect to the camber plate the bearing is screwed to. This will be clear later.

Here we go. Make a thin aluminum hat that slips over the existing plastic strut bearing. It's center hole does not locate the strut shaft - it has diametral clearance.

Now make a steel centering adaptor. It fits into the aluminum hat. Then I removed the original little steel insert that came with the pillowball so the new adaptor will push into the bottom of the pillowball as the original did, and take it's place.

Now screw the top nut onto the strut threads at the top of the shaft. This is side view of assembly. 5 millimetres of clearance is all that is necessary to allow the strut to pivot to the maximum angle while the camber plate you've bolted to the fender stays still. I'm close enough (later installation and checking confirms it's fine).

Looks okay.

I have installed them, very easy to do. The new pieces were calculated to raise stock Tein ride height by 0.35 inches, and measuring after installation shows this is spot on. Darn, it's been raining for a couple days straight and still is so I won't get out to adjust ride height and final camber. I will do that later this week in the dry and post some pics and report about steering effort and noises and such.

If anyone wants my sketches to make their own adaptors, I will post them.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re

hi How much would you charge to make these adaptors for me ?QUOTE=RalliartN;11781260]These coilovers use your stock strut bearing and top hat.

I've been using the eccentric camber bolts. Work fine, but I want to learn about camber plates. btw, Evo 9 items fit the humble Lancer.

Tein does not make camber plates for Street Basis. They also say do not use them with camber plates or try to stack spacers and such to try to make camber plates fit. (credit to Rallysportdirect, part way down the page: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...unts/questions).

Well, I bought SilverProject front camber plates from the Polish company's website before I knew all this. (Arrived in 3 days. Yay!) Trying to assemble them onto the coilovers I could see why the Tein factory says no. There is nothing to locate and hold the spring on-center, and nothing to connect the original strut bearing plate to the strut shaft. Sloppy fit:

What is needed is a way to center the spring and join it to the strut shaft. Also, this design must make that assembly "as one" with the spherical bearing (pillowball) while allowing angular adjustment with respect to the camber plate the bearing is screwed to. This will be clear later.

Here we go. Make a thin aluminum hat that slips over the existing plastic strut bearing. It's center hole does not locate the strut shaft - it has diametral clearance.

Now make a steel centering adaptor. It fits into the aluminum hat. Then I removed the original little steel insert that came with the pillowball so the new adaptor will push into the bottom of the pillowball as the original did, and take it's place.

Now screw the top nut onto the strut threads at the top of the shaft. This is side view of assembly. 5 millimetres of clearance is all that is necessary to allow the strut to pivot to the maximum angle while the camber plate you've bolted to the fender stays still. I'm close enough (later installation and checking confirms it's fine).

Looks okay.

I have installed them, very easy to do. The new pieces were calculated to raise stock Tein ride height by 0.35 inches, and measuring after installation shows this is spot on. Darn, it's been raining for a couple days straight and still is so I won't get out to adjust ride height and final camber. I will do that later this week in the dry and post some pics and report about steering effort and noises and such.

If anyone wants my sketches to make their own adaptors, I will post them.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 11, 2019, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Nice work. I was looking at these coilovers to replace my worn out F2s but may go a different route now after seeing this.