Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Underhood Brass Shifter Bushings

Tools Required:

Phillips screw driver
Regular screw driver
Needle nose pliers

The bushings we are replacing are under the master cylender near the back of the transmission. I have a CAI installed, so I do not know if airbox removal is necissary or not. This is a fairly reasy mod, it took less than 20 minuits.

Step 1.

Buy bushings here.

Step 2.

Remove clips holding both end links. Pull both the end links off the pins. Pry out the rubber bushings with a phillips screw driver. What worked faily well was sliding the end of the screwdriver through the center of the end link bushing and prying sideways. Be careful not to bend your cable. You will not be re-installing the washers. I put all my parts in a bag, just in case I need them later.

Step 3.

Clean the posts with solvent. Apply anti-sieze to the posts and inside the brass bushing holes. Slide the large brass bushing with the grooved side towads the firewall in to the lower cable end link eye. Pull the shifter arm towards the driver side of the car so you have the maximum cable length to use, then slip the end link and brass bushing over the pin. Install the E clip on the bushing and reinstall the retaining clip.

Slide the small brass bushing in the cable end link for the top cable with the grooved end up. Slide the end link over the pin and install the E clip. Reinstall the retaining clip through the pin.

This is what it looks like all finished. The large bushing is difficult to see, and difficult to get to. If you install the top shifter cable first, it will make getting access to it very difficult. You can see the large bushing to the upper left of the visable bushing. It is in a vertical position.

This is a comparison picture of the two styles of bushings. Note the E clips on the brass bushings. Be sure to install that groove towards the end of the pins.

This made a big improvement in shifter feel. The shifts are very crisp and precise.

Enjoy!

Last edited by PDXRalliArt; Jun 25, 2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here