Notices

Winter tire and wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Winter tire and wheel questions

Few questions - winter is coming and I know that the stock Eagle RS-As suck just as badly in snow as they do on dry pavement, so I'm thinking about winter tires. However, I'll never buy true "summer" tires as long as I'm in Michigan, too much rain, so I'll also be in the market for an Ultra-performance all season tire come spring. Would it be worth it to still run 2 sets, or should I just stick with a really good set of all seasons now and forget about dedicated winter tires?

Next, how well should our painted wheels hold up during the winter? They salt roads here. During the winter I try to wash my cars weekly to keep the salt off them.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In Michigan? Run two sets. One dedicated snow, one all-season performance.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Really depends on what level of performance you want. Nothing will beat the snow traction of a dedicated winter tire. But for some people its not pratical to run two sets of tires. I used all seasons for the longest time until I tried dedicated snows. Now three of my cars run snows in the winter and either all seasons or summers during the warmer seasons.

Theres really not a great winter performer in the all season tires that are available in your sizes. For whats available, I'd use a dedicated winter tire.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That's what I figured. When I lived in Idaho I ran dedicated winter tires because I did tons of snowboarding and needed a set of studs. Out here in MI studs are illegal, so I wasn't sure how big of a benefit studless winters would give me. Thanks for the advice. As soon as I have the $$$$ to cough up for tires/wheels, I will.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Artic Alpins on 15 inch steelies. I found that to be a good set up for winter, gives you good control in the snow and decent ride/handling in the dry weather too.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Will 15" steelies fit on an RA? I was hoping so, but thought the brakes might not fit in anything smaller than 16".

And is it already snowing in Newfoundland? I haven't had any here, yet, but it's coming soon.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using the Kumho KW17 high performance winter tire. It's just starting to freeze here and the tires are great, I have them on my stock rims. The side wall are much softer that the RS-A's and the ride quality has improved dramatically. Dry handleling is marginal, as the adhesion limits of snow tires are quite low in the dry. But, none the less, I do like them thus far and they are quite stable at high speeds 130 mph. Very nice compromise for a dedicated tire. and a good cost compared to others.