Notices

Best spray paint for rims?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best spray paint for rims?

What is the best spray paint for rims? Going to get new rotors figured might as well paint the calipers and rims while I got the wheels off. I'm getting caliper paint for the calipers but what is the best and most long lasting black spray paint for rims? My dad told me anything flat black will beat anything glossy if it's made for rims or not. Just wondering your opinions on the best.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Plastidip. Mess up itll come off. Ive had mine on for 2 months and its not peeled any.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
Plastidip. Mess up itll come off. Ive had mine on for 2 months and its not peeled any.
Plastidip is good stuff. My friend used it to paint the grill on his 08 GTS. I used Rustoleum Enamel before on one rim and it seemed to turn out good. I put a bunch of thin coats. Not sure how well that stuff holds but, because I ended up spraying them all with a big gun and enamel car paint.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:31 AM

I used pylox enamel based on my stock rims before just for kicks. Surprisingly lasted for a year before it started peeling or chipping away but i think it was more of the high speed debris that did the damage
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Plasti-Dip
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

if u prep it good and do it right anything will last...but plasti dip is most likely ur best choice...if it messes up, peel it off and start over...and if u dont like it anymore, peel it off and you can repaint it from there...it comes in several colors, you can make it glossy or even w/ metal flake...and theres even a kit you can make custom colors with...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

plasti-dip is highly flammable though for rims no?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

unless your brakes are flaming i dont think u'r going to have an issue...theres thousands of people that dip their rims and i've never heard or seen of spontaneous combustion on their wheels..
if u'r spraying the can into open flame im sure it'll catch fire, or if you actually set your wheels on fire...but i highly doubt by just getting hot from braking, it wont just catch fire...it doesn't get nowhere near hot enough and if it does you have major issues...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i've had smoking brake pads and boiling brake fluid

the OEM chrome coating on my wheel has bubbled and flaked off for the most part
Old Aug 9, 2012, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

chrome bubbles up and flakes off on its own...
and smoking pads and boiling fluid is still im sure not near the ignition point...
and im sure u were on the track...the driving around also cools the wheels a bit more so than the brakes, im sure...

the question here tho, is will plastidip survive normal daily driving...(the OP didn't mention track, or racing)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:35 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think if it was that bad for painting rims it would be widely known by now.i mean it can't be any more flammable than a regular rattle can paint.
The plasti dip thing seems to be taking people by storm. I recently found out that the plasti dip headquarters is like 30 minutes away. They have a gloss uglier now to make your rims shiny instead of matte.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used white plastidip on my rims. It's been almost two months now, they're holding up great. I haven't had any issues at all.

Here are a couple of pictures.. I forgot to put the center cap on when I took these.. I painted them last and they were still drying.

Picture One
Picture Two
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

^i think they look sweet...my car is thunder gray, and i think that combo of colors(dk grey and white) would look great...ive thought about it for a while...

ps they not only have gloss now...they also have metallizer...(basically gloss clear mixed w/ silver or gold colored metal flakes)

rt now i cant afford to do it tho....(yea, i know its not that expensive...about a can per wheel or so ive heard)...i just spent almost $1000 on my car last week...and still soon may need to overhaul the trans...(or @ least get a input shaft bearing, throwout bearing and clutch kit..)

and get some minor exhaust work...(the flex pipe has the most ridiculously annoying rattle...)

Last edited by nekkidlad; Aug 10, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
flex pipes don't last long, as soon as they rust out, they fall apart, and you can't see it cause it's only the steal braid, lol...then you have pieces of rusty steel clogging the cat...

back on topic, i recently purchased duplicolor wheel coating in bronze, problem is i have to strip the old flakey chrome off...i may be able to media blast them for free but i would have to take the tires off...maybe over the winter i'll do that...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks!

I waited like 3 weeks before I had the $ to do it, rough times here too.

One can per wheel is right, $8 per can for white (black is like $6 per can), came out to $35. I did 5 coats on each wheel.

If you do go this route, make sure you're leaving a smooth surface. There is one patch that came out rough one one wheel (my fault) and when that patch gets dirty, I have to take a little extra time to thoroughly clean it. On the smoother parts, the dirt scrubs right off.

Quick Reply: Best spray paint for rims?