Notices

Need advice concerning my first brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice concerning my first brake upgrade

I want to upgrade my brakes on my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.

I have been searching on the web and I have found only a few companies that make big brake kits for my ride including rotora, ksport and AEM. The AEM is not really a big brake kit, it just expands the existing OEM callipers somehow and I have not heard of the other two companies before.

Considering I am a spirited day to day driver in search of a nice ride, I may just use the OEM callipers and upgrade the rotors, pads, and SS brake lines. EBC rotors and EBC Redstuff ceramic pads are one option. The other is a combination of Powerslot Cryo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Could someone please offer advice? Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:54 AM

Another option would be to get the dual piston calipers off a 2g DSM, which are a direct bolt on. You can do a quick search to find all of the info on this.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Search, there is a really good thread. Anyway, here is supplier of upgraded brake calipers + brackets that bolt right in and use stock disc size:

www.rtmracing.com

Look under Mitsubishi>DSM Turbo>brakes>brake upgrades>DSM brake upgrade>DSM dual piston front brake calipers for 2G

FYI, and I apologize if you are experienced and know this stuff, but a complete $1500 big brake kit might offer you nothing if you can already lock your wheels under hardest braking. They are all heavier than stock and require larger diameter wheels than stock. If you are new to this, I'd say get the calipers upgrade first (it's relatively inexpensive and easy to fit) loaded with a set of aggressive street pads (RTM will include those too if you ask).

RTM is in Hamilton, Ontario and the owner is very knowledgable about Mitsu's so no expensive cross-border screw-ups!

Last edited by RalliartN; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Search, there is a really good thread. Anyway, here is supplier of upgraded brake calipers + brackets that bolt right in and use stock disc size:

www.rtmracing.com

Look under Mitsubishi>DSM Turbo>brakes>brake upgrades>DSM brake upgrade>DSM dual piston front brake calipers for 2G

FYI, and I apologize if you are experienced and know this stuff, but a complete $1500 big brake kit might offer you nothing if you can already lock your wheels under hardest braking. They are all heavier than stock and require larger diameter wheels than stock. If you are new to this, I'd say get the calipers upgrade first (it's relatively inexpensive and easy to fit) loaded with a set of aggressive street pads (RTM will include those too if you ask).

RTM is in Hamilton, Ontario and the owner is very knowledgable about Mitsu's so no expensive cross-border screw-ups!
Ziggy's the man, he helped me find some stuff that he doesn't even carry in stock!! Don't ask him to do it for you, i have a friend that knows him, and he asked! lol

but yeah, mitsubishi doesn't reinvent the wheel everytime they make a car, there is quite a bit of cross-compatibility between mitsu vehicles...i would also say that big brakes are kind of over kill for this vehicle unless you're making mad power, and pushing it hard...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RalliartN

www.rtmracing.com

Wow, that a good deal for the calipers. Fully rebuilt and clean for a couple of hundred dollars, and painted for $40 more. Just the calipers from the scrap yard are about $120 in southern Ontario.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:01 PM

Your information was incredibly helpful, thank you very much. I am deciding whether or not to purchase the callipers you recommend or the 2g DSM Big Brake Kit from RTM Racing. If I purchase the callipers can I still go ahead with my own rotors and pads. If so, do I just use stock size for my rotors. Thank you once again. I will be putting up some pics very soon.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

honestly for basic driving I wouldnt recommend upgrading the calipers to units that cost a few grand. Get new pads/rotors/fluid/lines and call it a day.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
if you upgrade to 2g calipers you will need to get new pads that fit the caliper. stock rotors will fit just fine
Old May 4, 2011, 12:20 PM

Stainless Steel Brake Lines Confusion

So I have ordered the 2g DSM calliper upgrade from RTM and I am getting Hawk HPS Pads and Power Slot Rotors. I was taliking to Ziggy from RTM about the SS Brake Lines. The SS lines sold with the 2g DSM Calliper upgrade from RTM have 4 lines for all four wheel fitments. The SS Brake Lines for the Ralliart from Techna-Fit have 6 lines for all 4 wheel fitments. I am out of town and away from my car, but I want to order now so the brake lines will be ready when I return. Can anyone please advise whether I need 4 or 6 brake lines? Thank you.
Old May 4, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

i believe it's 6...from the factory, if i remember correctly the rear brake hoses are in two sections mated through a clamp...

from memory, i can't see why one longer flexible SS line wouldn't go the distance, you may have to run it through a clamp at some point so it doesn't get caught on anything...

i'm not at home where my car is can anyone verify this?

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; May 4, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 4, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
6 lines. 4 in the front and 2 in the rear
Old May 4, 2011, 05:34 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So the 2g brakes aren't a bolt on then? I've replaced my stock ralliart lines with SS and I only used one per side up front , can someone elaborate?
Old May 4, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
6 lines. 4 in the front and 2 in the rear
thanks, couldn't remember...car is 270km away :S

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
So the 2g brakes aren't a bolt on then? I've replaced my stock ralliart lines with SS and I only used one per side up front , can someone elaborate?
i dunno, i thought the rear were two sections, but somewhere on the car (raikiri says it's the front), there is 2 seperate sections of flexible brake line going from the hard line to the caliper...either way, if the SS line is long enough to make it from the rigid line to the caliper piston, all is well...as far as we know the DSM caliper is a go...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; May 4, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 in front, 4 in the back.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yep, 6. Just check the Techna-Fit website. I have their kit, perfect fitment. Got it from Touge Tuning in Toronto (check his website, phone him).

Quick Reply: Need advice concerning my first brake upgrade