Notices

Performance brakes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance brakes

I need to replace my brakes within the next month and I want to get good performance brakes. Im going to autocross my RA so brakes are going to be a huge part. I dont want the best of the best meant for rocket cars I just want good performance brakes so any suggestions on what I should do?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Id look into drilled/slotted rotors if your going to stick with the stock caliper. However you can get the twin piston brakes off a 95 eclipse gsx and they fit the front setup, that'd give you a bit more stopping power. I was going to do it a while back but fell short on funds. Im pretty sure someone on here still has a set for sale.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:58 AM

I have two places to go. RRM's slotted rotors and pads for 279 front 269 rear or rock auto which I have a hard time understanding lol but rock auto does not have drilled and/or slotted. I want the best set of performance brakes at the cheapest price I can find. I dont mind paying a high price I just dont want to be over paying. If I bought from RRM they would ship from cali to VA and shipping would be high and take for ever to come in but are they the best deal for new rotors and pads?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
if you're going to auto-x do NOT go for drilled/slotted rotors. go for blanks instead as the slotted/drilled will have a tendency to crack.

FAFRalliart before making threads please search as this topic has been widely discussed. even look into the review thread for suggestions as there have been plenty on brake components.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Hawk HP Plus pads all around with stock rotors should be more than enough...they are hard on the rotors though, but they should have the stopping power you need for autocross, but i would look into a performance brake fluid...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Hawk HP Plus pads all around with stock rotors should be more than enough...they are hard on the rotors though, but they should have the stopping power you need for autocross, but i would look into a performance brake fluid...
okay sounds good right now the only thing that needs changed is the rotors. Im pretty sure nothing else needs changed but should I get anything else other then rotors and pads?

yeah and sorry for not looking for the post thats probably already been talked about..

EDIT: actually on a second thought I still think I need slotted and drilled rotors because I would be practicing autocross all day at times and I need the brakes to cool down fast or they would warp. Ill look into it more and try to find some autocross racers to give me a better understanding of what I should do.

Last edited by FAFRalliart; Mar 26, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

slotted should be fine, drilled have a tendancy to crack...the fronts which do most the work are internally vented...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
slotted should be fine, drilled have a tendancy to crack...the fronts which do most the work are internally vented...
Bought the slotted rotors and high performance pads from RRM along with the pully I cant wait to install them
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

Let me know how you like them! and Are the rotors the same size?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

they would have to be, or you would need bigger calipers and pads, cause our calipers on a larger rotor would make no difference...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FAFRalliart
Bought the slotted rotors and high performance pads from RRM along with the pully I cant wait to install them
aside from the pulley... i honestly feel like you paid way more than necessary -_-
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

doesn't RRM just sell stoptech/powerslot...you can get those anywhere...the only difference is that RRM actually stocks them, but any stop tech retailer should be able to get them...maybe even for a better price...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'm rockin M-sport drilled/slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads... I great combo I may add.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:30 AM

Yeah I might have paid alittle to much but Im not going to be disappointed. They look clean and Im sure there going to feel amazing. They gave me a deal anyway since I bought alot from them and have orderd in the past.
Im probably going to end up buying there LSD soon too.. and maybe those tein coilovers. I looked everywhere for another LSD to maybe save some money but I think Im going to get what I paid for with that mod. The coilovers I might be able to find cheaper but they arnt that expensive compaired to other places and I can also afford the quality/brand. If anyone knows a place to find cheaper and same quality coilovers please let me know. Ill continue to look around the site.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

uhm, dude...really? RRM barely makes any of the products they sell...they just keep a stock of parts for our car, and advertise as such...for example go to Tein's wesbite and look up the part number, and google it, which i happened to have already done for you...DSR66-LUSS2 with an MSRP of $960 USD, and are available around the net for less than that, now why would RRM be selling them for almost $1,400? when you know they most likely paid a fair bit less than MSRP for them...for the LSD, it's a Quaife QDH7BR for a 3g eclipse GS (4G64)...average price from other etailers around $1,071, and not to mention the Wavetrac LSD is basically the same thing and has an MSRP below $1,000...

just because you have the money to waste on RRM, doesn't make it smart, and any deal they gave you was probably still a rip off...

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1167/23/
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Tein...99_p-84128.htm
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/DSR66-LUSS2

there's a lot more than that...they are listed on Amazon for $909

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 28, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Performance brakes