Notices

Best spray paint for rims?

Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
flex pipes don't last long, as soon as they rust out, they fall apart, and you can't see it cause it's only the steal braid, lol...then you have pieces of rusty steel clogging the cat..
all thats left of mine is the actual flex pipe, luckily no holes or leaks yet tho, just a loud rattle...the braid is gone and the end rings are gone...also the downpipe and cat heatshields are rotted off, the header heat shield rotted off 2 of the 3 bolt holes so i removed it...i do have the starter heat shield still on but i had to rig it to keep it on....(found several of the largest possible washers i could find and some longer bolts, and sandwiched the shield between 2 washers, but the bolts were too long so i have like 2 nuts as "spacers" between the bolt head and the washers...lol...could'nt find washers big enough for the header shield tho)

(ps dont mean to jack the thread...lol)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want a good, long lasting finish you should either sand down the wheels (or media blast them if you can). Use some self etching primer to adhere to the bare metal, and then use a paint that is designed for use on wheels. Then use a clear coat layer to help give it some gloss (or matte if you want), and to help seal & protect the paint.

I have used the Rust-Oleum (both self etching primer & wheels paint), and when prepped properly, they comes out looking fantastic.

It can easily be done for under $50, and takes a day or two when done properly.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:03 AM

I actually had a similar question so I'm gonna post here... Have a set of black/red Katana rims and one of them got curbed. It has a black matte finish and some of the color was damaged by an orange curb. The person driving didn't realize the curb was so close to the wheel. So I want to avoid buying another rim and would like to fix it. Any recommendations for that?? (How to prep, where to go to get the paint, etc.) First time having to do a repair like this and not sure where to start. Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vht has a line of rim paint that iv used gloss no gloss and colors from black to purple. It is excellent paint and iv painted Evo wheels that haven't chipped in over 2 years
Old Sep 27, 2018, 05:16 AM

I have a experience of many years in this paint industry. I've suggested some spray paint for your car rims which have good quality and more customer reviews.

1. Dupli-Color ESHD10007 Shadow Chrome Black-out Coating Kit
2. Performance Corvettes DYC Plasti Dip Aerosol Spray Can
3. Rust-Oleum 248929 Automotive Wheel Spray Paint