Notices

2004 Ralliart Front End Clunking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 Ralliart Front End Clunking

So I have been having issues with my '04 Ralliart recently and was hoping for some help.Recently, I have been hearing a low-end clunking or thumping coming from the front passenger side strut (assuming it is the strut). No matter what speed, it sounds like something is loose or rattling in the suspension, generally more so when going over bumps, but also when driving on anything that isn't completely smooth pavement. It isn't super loud either but damn is it ever annoying. I originally thought it was the strut boot moving around because it was torn, and the sound is low-pitch, kind of like rubber and doesn't sound like metal. I got frustrated and cut the damn thing off because it wasn't doing anything while torn anyway. No matter, the sound continued.

I noticed that while the car was jacked up and tires off the ground, it was surprisingly easy to move the tire up and down (compressing the strut), which made a similar thumbing or clunking noise. I figured i would just replace the strut. I went to a used parts yard and found the same 2004 Ralliart (stiff) stock strut in good condition so i purchased it and installed. This strut also seemed fairly easy to compress compared to the driver side which was more stiff. The sound went away for about 20 minutes of driving and came back. Now, it is not as extreme but still very noticeable going over bumps. I am losing my mind and can't think of anything else.

Things I have checked:

Loose brake components, Sway-bar links, upper strut mount and bearing, upper strut mount nuts and centre nut, the strut itself, strut boot.

If it helps any, I also have Tein lowering springs which seem to be in good condition.

I apologize for the lengthy message but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Im not sure if the strut I bought could also be blown but it only seems to compress easy off the ground. On the ground, the bounce test seems to show the struts are doing their job at keeping the car stable and stiff.

Thanks,

Adam
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check the ball joint.

where in Ontario?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm clunking noise. Yes, please check your ball joint and also the nuts and bolts on your control control arm. That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!

And yes, as per Crans' question, where in Ontario are you from?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 08:34 AM

Front end noise

Please let me know if you fix this. My Ralliart is suffering from a similar noise. I thought it was my motor mounts. But didn't fix it. I'm thinking it may be my front left end link or strut boot. I'm hoping it's not a blown strut.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 02:56 PM

Sounds (No Pun ) like a blown strut assy. I have replaced the stock struts under the 36 month warranty many times a week. Factory units very bad quality. Notice that they cant handle below freezing conditions.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 05:47 PM

Kinda makes sense. Im sure it didn't appreciate Alberta temperatures.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by aaronspeed
Sounds (No Pun ) like a blown strut assy. I have replaced the stock struts under the 36 month warranty many times a week. Factory units very bad quality. Notice that they cant handle below freezing conditions.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Since we're bumping old threads, i'll tell you that I currently have a blown front strut pissing oil, and it doesn't clunk, if a strut was blown to the point of knocking or clunking, which would be quite violent and successive, I would imagine you would feel the car bouncing on the springs as well...if you hear clunking, usually something is loose or broken. But the OP never replied so we'll never know...plus the OP replaced the strut...so even though it was a used part, it's unlikely that someone would purchase a blown strut...blown struts, look blown.