EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart Tires/Wheels/Brakes/Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-95/)
-   -   lowered ra's (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/195526-lowered-ras.html)

jbizzle Apr 13, 2006 10:53 PM

lowered ra's

i was wondering if those of you with dropped cars would post pics i have tein basic coilovers and i am wondering how low people have dropped there cars...i'm gonna try and post some pics tomorrow

wrecked Apr 14, 2006 07:45 PM

Check my cardomain page below.

NeoZophar May 20, 2006 03:21 PM

Kool ride wrecked :D

ralliart329 May 20, 2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by wrecked
Check my cardomain page below.

did lowering make any difference on the straights? i know it would help cornering, and did it get alot rougher on bumps? ive been thinking of lowering for looks but if it can't handle a rough road im not sure its worth it.

EvoJutsu May 20, 2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ralliart329
did lowering make any difference on the straights? i know it would help cornering, and did it get alot rougher on bumps? ive been thinking of lowering for looks but if it can't handle a rough road im not sure its worth it.

WEll rough roads liek pot holes in NY will devastate a lower car unless u drive really well. But lowering a car will give it more aerodynamics or physics wise downforce. The car will perform a bit or alot better depending on the suspension setup and how low u set the car. A basic tein coilovers will have a good amount of effect on the performance in cornering and very lil on the straights( but hey a a few micro seconds here and there with weight reduction- the car becomes faster and faster) and the car will be dropped i think by 1.5 inches.

ralliart329 May 20, 2006 07:32 PM

yeah i think my budget is only calling for the progess springs from RRM. and i figured potholes would be hell for me. thanx for the info.

k3lv May 20, 2006 11:15 PM

are you gonna be running stock tires? The bumps will be more exagerrated, lowering springs will be a lot more stiff than the stock ones we have.

If you are going on a rough road(I'm not quite sure how rough, if minor bumps and holes) then I think you'll be alright, theres no need to rip it through that sorta road with any sort of 4dr/2dr car in the first place

ralliart329 May 21, 2006 12:06 AM

I ditched the stock tires over a year ago for potenza's. not sure how great they are, but they're alot better then stock and take the weather that NY dishes out in the winter alot better.

Long Island where i am has some ****ty roads. unless your on the highway your lookin at alot of small potholes and dips and all that fun stuff. I avoid what I can but you can only do so much.:dunno:

wrecked May 22, 2006 08:13 PM

Thanks for the compliments. NeoZophar, where are you from in Canada?
As far as straight roads, its alittle stiffer, but not bad at all. Just be aware of the rears on Progress springs. They have a tendency to raise the vehicle in the rear about 1/2 an inch. That is why I went back to the stock rear springs. I will stiffen the rear by other means (rear anti sway bar, etc). I would personally recommend the Tien's. They will usually lowerer the rear abit, or at worse, keep it the same. That way, you get the benefits of the stiffer rear in the corners.
Hope that helps.

Myszkewicz May 22, 2006 10:56 PM

I have the Progress springs in my car, and have just a little less than a finger width of wheel gap on all four corners.

I thought the ride on the sh*tty roads around here got a little rougher, but my carpool victim :lol: thought it was smoother than stock, so I guess it's a wash.

I also got the Progress rear sway bar and perches, and upper and lower rear strut bars. The biggest improvement, though, was when I replaced the stock tires.

It's been a year or so and probably 30k miles on the springs, and no problems with the struts blowing out or anything. The rear control arm bushings are another story. They're creaking again, but it has nothing to do with the springs.

MikeyD May 23, 2006 12:08 PM

I know wrecked mentioned that his car actually hired in the back. Did this happen to anyone else.

ralliart329 May 23, 2006 05:48 PM

in another thread about counterfit springs i think the higher back was a sign, may want to check it out.

chengstar May 23, 2006 06:56 PM

teins raise ur car just a tad in the rear, sorta gives the car a more slanted look
once it settles it should be fine tho

wrecked May 23, 2006 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
I have the Progress springs in my car, and have just a little less than a finger width of wheel gap on all four corners.

I thought the ride on the sh*tty roads around here got a little rougher, but my carpool victim :lol: thought it was smoother than stock, so I guess it's a wash.

I also got the Progress rear sway bar and perches, and upper and lower rear strut bars. The biggest improvement, though, was when I replaced the stock tires.

It's been a year or so and probably 30k miles on the springs, and no problems with the struts blowing out or anything. The rear control arm bushings are another story. They're creaking again, but it has nothing to do with the springs.

Do you have any extra weight in the back? Like a heavy sub box or dead bodies ;) ? I am just curious because I waited awhile for the rears to settle, with no changes. Could you post a side shot of the car please?
Here is a shot of the lowering with the progress up front and the stocks in the rear. This is way better then the look of the raised back end that I had.

Myszkewicz May 24, 2006 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wrecked
Do you have any extra weight in the back? Like a heavy sub box or dead bodies ;) ? I am just curious because I waited awhile for the rears to settle, with no changes. Could you post a side shot of the car please?

No, no extra weight in the trunk, all I have in there is a set of jumper cables, a box of rags and an empty 1-gallon gas can.

Hang on, I'll get a pic.

EDIT: Got the pic. I had to brighten it up a bit to be able to see the wheel gaps, but they're about even all the way around. Don't mind the dirt. ;)