EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart Tires/Wheels/Brakes/Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-95/)
-   -   looking for tires for my 05 RA (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/400099-looking-tires-my-05-ra.html)

omgivec Feb 14, 2009 08:22 AM

looking for tires for my 05 RA

I want to get new tires for my RA OEM wheel. wich ones are the best in the market

Thomar Feb 14, 2009 08:29 AM

go to http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html and have a look. They also have some reviews on some tires regarding wet and dry braking performance, etc.

omgivec Feb 14, 2009 08:34 AM

im looking for grip and endurance any sugestions?

omgivec Feb 15, 2009 12:57 PM

anybody who knows here

omgivec Feb 17, 2009 12:32 PM

help!!!!!!!!! :helpme:

slc-ralliart Feb 17, 2009 12:38 PM

Grip and endurance are two different things. For grip you want a softer tire or lower tread wear. If you go with softer tires they will wear out quicker. Handling comes at the expense of tire life.

omgivec Feb 17, 2009 05:58 PM

ok if anyone have a sugestion of a tire you have use let me know, i dont kow anything about tires thanks

slc-ralliart Feb 17, 2009 08:19 PM

The best thing to do is decide what you want in a tire. Is it for racing ie autocross, track days, or just for a good performance tire for your daily driver? Will you have any snow of bad weather to deal with? I run Kuhmo ASX on my car. They are a Z rated all season tire so they kind of give me the best of both worlds. They are grippy but also okay in light snow and heavy rain. I figure I will get between 15-20K miles out of the tires. I would just decide what company you will buy tires from and then read reviews on the different tires. Don't worry about asking a lot of questions. You will want to check the treadwear. speed rating, temperature rating, along with a couple other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

gjgfrombigd Feb 18, 2009 07:00 AM

Kuhmo ASX's are crap! If you're gonna go more low end (eg. Discount Tire), Yokohama is the way to go.
I've been through sets of Kuhmos.
Ecsta711http://www.paslar.com/Product-img/ty..._711_ci2_l.jpg
EcstaSPThttp://aktireswheels.com/osc/images/..._spt_ci2_l.jpg
The SPT's performance was pretty good, but they wear out too fast. When I bought my car it had Nitto Neo Gens and they were ok.
I have since moved on to what I believe to be the last tire I will ever buy, as long as they keep making it and as long as I'm not autoxing.
R.I.P. - Yokohama ES100http://www.groupawheels.com/images/P...pand-THUMB.jpg
&A520http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ccgrant/yoko.jpg
Yokohama SDrive FTW!http://autofiends.com/images/ReviewI...ain2SDrive.jpg

omgivec Feb 18, 2009 11:44 AM

Im from PR so theres no problem with snow, i want a tire for daily driving and some grip for the streets :D and that they last more that 12,000 miles

gjgfrombigd Feb 18, 2009 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by omgivec (Post 6708967)
Im from PR so theres no problem with snow, i want a tire for daily driving and some grip for the streets :D and that they last more that 12,000 miles

None of these are snow tires, my friend. All are Z rated except for the 711's, I think they're H rated.

omgivec Feb 19, 2009 07:48 AM

what about bridgestone poteza are this any good? or falken ziex?

Raikiri Feb 19, 2009 08:26 AM

Does anyone know about the BFGoodrich g-force sports?

otter Feb 21, 2009 07:04 AM

There actually is a decent tire out there if you want both long tread life and decent grip. The BFG KDW-2 tires have a 300 treadwear rating, but have very stiff sidewalls and very good dry grip for a tire with such a high tread rating. I will be going back to these tires when my current summer tires wear out.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx are currently on clearance at Tire Rack. I have these tires now (as summer tires), decent treadwear rating (240) and grip, but they suffer from a weak sidewall. Not great for autocrossing, however, they did fantastically at a wet track day last year.

Finally, I've heard good things from Evo owners about the Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires. 280 treadwear rating but still great performance.

joeyj Feb 22, 2009 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd (Post 6707773)

over the weekend I blew out two of my tires in one trip, (still a little sore over that), but to be a good guy my dad decided to take my car to discount tire and get new ones for me, but still have me pay for them. He got good year eagle gt bsw 215/45 17's

but with the side wall extending out further than my last tires, the rears clip the chassis if I go over any bump faster than 5 mph.

So I'm taking it down to discount tire first thing in the morning and getting the yokohoma s drives.

they goodyear's have exactly 50 miles on the odometer since they installed it (im bringing my receipt lol) so they better not give me too much trouble since they put a tire on that doesnt really fit.

Thomar Feb 23, 2009 10:09 AM

Erg, the stock ralliart tire is a Good Year Eagle. They are shhhhugary as heck. Get my drift? (Heh, see how I put a pun in there too? I'm on a roll today. (Heh.. roll...))

joeyj Feb 23, 2009 11:38 AM

lol, well i got there, and the only had the s drive in 215/45 17" which didnt fit, so I had to go with the yokohoma parada spec-2 215/40 17".

Liking them so far, I want to see how the handle wet roads though

gjgfrombigd Feb 25, 2009 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by joeyj (Post 6727231)
over the weekend I blew out two of my tires in one trip, (still a little sore over that), but to be a good guy my dad decided to take my car to discount tire and get new ones for me, but still have me pay for them. He got good year eagle gt bsw 215/45 17's

but with the side wall extending out further than my last tires, the rears clip the chassis if I go over any bump faster than 5 mph.

So I'm taking it down to discount tire first thing in the morning and getting the yokohoma s drives.

they goodyear's have exactly 50 miles on the odometer since they installed it (im bringing my receipt lol) so they better not give me too much trouble since they put a tire on that doesnt really fit.

I can't believe Discount would mount that size tire on the RA. They should know better! I mean, all they do is tires and wheels all day...{pcfreak}

joeyj Feb 25, 2009 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd (Post 6739428)
I can't believe Discount would mount that size tire on the RA. They should know better! I mean, all they do is tires and wheels all day...{pcfreak}

they should but, they didnt.

one they had my car as an es/ls on the work order, I blame my dad for that for taking my car in when I wasnt there to tell them, "It's a ralliart"

and stock rims on the RA are 16", mine are 17" so they probably would've blamed that.

rdc Feb 26, 2009 07:53 AM

If the rears were rubbing a bit, all you had to do was roll the fenders a bit, but for the record, it has been proven that 215/45-17 should fit in a ralliart without problems. As a matter of fact, every weekday I walk around and see a Ralliart with Evo 8 wheels and the tire size it wears is the one i just mentioned.

OMGIVEC, go to tirerack and search, its very straight forward, and all you need to know once there is this:

treadwear -> numerically states aprox. how much it should last (higher number = lasts longer, lower number = lasts less (this can mean more grip but isnt always true))

traction -> its done in a wet track (i dont remember how much water but its controlled) and its like school grades, the closer to A the better, only in here you can get a double A (AA)

temperature -> its ability to resist extreme heat (again, the closer to A, the better) example, going autocrossing with a C rated tire will convert your car in an automatic cone eater:lol:

Once you make your selection of tires to see, read the reviews. Trust me, they will enlighten you on anything there is to know about each tire.

superalf574 Feb 28, 2009 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd (Post 6739428)

i doubt that happend at a discount store but hey I seen some weird stuff from a discount store in AZ . im a manager at a americas tire and im sure they know the difference . parada spec 2?s are a so so yokohama .I run s drives or dunlop star specs they hold up pretty nice in the rain and some ice :lol:

mr.ralliart Mar 3, 2009 07:03 PM

Hey, I'm on the same dilemma as you are OMG, I asked some of my friends about a tire with good grip and durability, I also told them that my plan is to go to one track day per year, to race the 1/4 twice a month and that needs to be comfortable enough to be my daily driven and the pointed towards the Ventus RS-2, the Toyo T1R and the BG Goodrich G-force sport (of course in the middle price range). According to them, the RS-2 has the better grip but has the lower treadware, the T1R and the G-force sport are similar in grip and in durability, in Mexico the G-force sport is cheaper so I'm gonna decide between these three ones.

Any experience with these tires?

BTW omg, have you already bought your set?

omgivec Mar 3, 2009 07:53 PM

no i havent bought them i plan to get them by the end of march, and this is the first time i change tires for my car

mr.ralliart Mar 3, 2009 08:37 PM

Ok, a couple of days after I install the tires I will post a review so you can have another opinion, what are your current options?

RalliartN Mar 4, 2009 08:45 AM

I have Toyo T1R's. Grippy of course. They also slide very predictably - more throttle more slide, less throttle less slide, they do what you ask with no surprises. Decent enough in wet, not scary like the stock Goodyears. Amazingly enough they are as quiet as Falken 452's I had - very little tire noise but not quite as quiet as the stockers. A key reason I bought Toyo T1R is it weighs 2 pounds less than stock tire or most aftermarket rubber. This makes a noticable difference in reducing wheel hop and in suspension reaction over bumps. Expensive and I'm very happy with them - will buy again.

omgivec Mar 4, 2009 01:18 PM

right now im looking at brigestone potenza

Raikiri Mar 6, 2009 12:31 PM

Can anyone provide opinions on the bfgoodrich g-force sports vs the yokohama s-drives?

Ralli///Art Mar 7, 2009 09:26 AM

remember to look for the tire size of our cars which is: 205/50R16

most of those tires are pretty expensive here in P.R. I think the Falken ones are around $118-$144 if I recall correctly.

but anyways, for grip I'll say go ahead and try the BFGood Rich which are around $90-$95 at best.

omgivec Apr 6, 2009 07:14 AM

well i ended up with some Toyo Proxes 4 205/50/16. They seem to work pretty good, thay have a good grip for a 300 thread wear. Have anyone have these's before?

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by omgivec (Post 6903420)
well i ended up with some Toyo Proxes 4 205/50/16. They seem to work pretty good, thay have a good grip for a 300 thread wear. Have anyone have these's before?

I have these on my 17's... 225/45/17 and besides the sidewall roll I don't mind them. Personally I try to go for more extreme performance style tires. In fact I just picked up some 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle f1 GS-d3's for the galant and have 225/40/16 in the same tire for my ralliart's stock rims. I stopped using the 17's on the lancer because its a daily driver and opted to stop modifying it.

Right now I have used the following tires:

Federal summer performance tires ( I forget the exact style) - 225/45/17 - They did alright, performed really well for wet conditions and never hydroplaned especially with my driving style and speed I was shocked. Cheap tire price, but they wore out in 10K miles under aggressive driving

Falken Ziex 512 - 225/45/17 - only 225/45/17 tire I could fit in the rear on the stock suspension with 17x7 with a +42 offset rim after rolling the lips as well. Great performing tire and they lasted a long time. My valve stem blew before i could go through these tires

Goodyear Eagle f1 GS-d3's - 225/40/17 and 225/45/17 - REALLY tight side wall, in fact my tire guy hates these tires because of the stiffness to mount them. Otherwise they do great in the rain, dry and have lasted me 6K miles and barely show any wear.

Toyo Proxie 4's - 225/45/17 - I guess maybe because I'm used to stiffer sidewalls the roll on these tires sorta caught me off gaurd. I drive a lot of windy roads so I love having a stiff sidewall. The only benefit about these tires was that they were the only tire that actually got my car to move in the snow... haha

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 - 205/55/16 - Great snow tire, never had ANY problems with getting stuck and they lasted about 3 seasons without needing replacement

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 - 205/55/16 - Also a great performing tire, I wound up selling these after 1 season because I needed the cash but I did do push them a bit harder than I did the WS-50's and they seemed to stay on track a bit better. Also I found the LM-22's were a bit more predictable when the back end would kick out.

I would switch from Summers to winter tires around early January, also I switch from winters to summers around the first or second week of april.
Hope that works...

BlackRaven Apr 6, 2009 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by RalliartN (Post 6767376)
A key reason I bought Toyo T1R is it weighs 2 pounds less than stock tire or most aftermarket rubber. This makes a noticable difference in reducing wheel hop and in suspension reaction over bumps.

On a related note, I was shocked at how noticable the stock wheel/tire combo weight is...when I got my summer set (17" MB Weapons w/ Nitto Neo Gens in 215/40-17) they are a lot lighter. I always thought going with a bigger wheel typically means heavier overall...

Originally Posted by bruce988jl (Post 6767376)
Goodyear Eagle f1 GS-d3's - 225/40/17 and 225/45/17 - REALLY tight side wall, in fact my tire guy hates these tires because of the stiffness to mount them. Otherwise they do great in the rain, dry and have lasted me 6K miles and barely show any wear.

bruce, with either size, did you have significant rubbing/have to roll your fenders/use wheel spacers/etc.?

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRaven (Post 6904295)
bruce, with either size, did you have significant rubbing/have to roll your fenders/use wheel spacers/etc.?

With 225/45/17 paired with 17x7 +42 inch rims you will have to roll your fenders in the rear and hammer a part of the fender liner in on the front. Event still if you don't use a tire with a curved sidewall-to-contact surface transition you will rub a bit. The reason is that there is that mounting tab between the bumper and the 1/4 panel that rubs on the tire and can cut into it if its sharp enough. There isn't a way to go around it unless you hack it off and rivet your rear bumper on. Now mind you maybe with a +45 tire you'll have better luck but that's just my experience. I didn't use any spacers because it was rubbing due to it sticking out too much.

With a 225/45/16 you won't have problems. I plan on running a 225/45/17 up front and a 215/50/17 in back when I get my summer setup repainted.

omgivec Apr 6, 2009 03:30 PM

Bruce do you have a pic of the stock rims with the 25/40/16 tires i would like to see how it looks cuz i wanted the tire to be 40 but couldnt fin one.

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 04:13 PM

Sorry dude,
I didn't take ANY photos of my car all of last year.. It spent most of it in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt... twice haha

Give me a week or two and I'll have the goodyears remounted for summer and I can take some shots...
All I can say was that there was a large amount of wheel gap... no thanks to the 40's sidewall.. haha looked hideous, but I don't have a choice right now.

omgivec Apr 6, 2009 08:05 PM

ok bro, just wanted to see how the car looks, do you have springs? cuz i have teins. i want the tires a little lower cuz right now they rub a little when i turn the wheel completelly.

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 09:39 PM

I have that problem with my 225/45/17 and my 205/55/16's... Its inevitable in my opinion.

I am on stock suspension.

bruce988jl Apr 14, 2009 08:31 AM

I'll take photos of it soon, I just got the 225/40/16's mounted on the stock rims. Might I suggest never to combine these two sizes with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-d3's.... the side wall is SO stiff that we had 2-3 people on the tire pushing it down as we mounted them...

Also I have the worse case of wheel gap now its hideous. At least I handle really well... I don't care too much about looks anymore as the car's all beat up and dirty.

TheGreek Apr 16, 2009 10:47 AM

BFG G force sport have comparable performance numbers to the KDW-2, are less noisy, and cost about $28 less per tire ($80 vs. $108).

G Force Sport:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6GFSP&i1_Qty=4

KDW-2:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....AKDW2&i1_Qty=4

The G Force Sport's just aren't as pretty.

I like BFG's. I had some comp t/a's and later some euro t/a's on an sport truck I used to have, and thought they were great for the price.

blackhawkRA May 4, 2009 07:51 PM

I would recommend KDW2's, F1 GS-D3, and Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec. I've had all of these, and all have great grip, first two have amazing wet traction as well (I've heard the star specs do as well in this category, but I just got them). The KDW2's withstood two long and hot track days, a couple auto-x's and provided really good handling, stiff widewalls, super responsive and communicative, very smooth break-away at the limit. Pretty much same thing goes for the GS-D3's. No track days but lots of auto-x and provided great handling all the way 'til the end. In fact I miss my almost-dead F1's because very little no tread block = great turn-in and quick steering response.

New star specs have probably even better grip than my last two sets so far. At auto-x yesterday they held up surprisingly well and provided the most grip I've ever felt I think.

Go to tirerack.com for full user reviews and professional tests and write-ups.

avisame si quieres mas info de ellos tres.