Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lancer RA as first car?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lancer RA as first car?

What do you guys think i have been driving my dads STI for a while with my learners permit. I will be getting my full Lic in July and i have the choice of takin my brothers car or buyin my own. (Brothers car= GLI). Do you guys think the RA will be a suitable first car?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ive looked at the WRX and the MS3 and im not a fan of there styling so i have turned to the RA.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoX326
What do you guys think i have been driving my dads STI for a while with my learners permit. I will be getting my full Lic in July and i have the choice of takin my brothers car or buyin my own. (Brothers car= GLI). Do you guys think the RA will be a suitable first car?
Sure, why not -- but why not go with something cheaper and have more fun modding it with the money you save? The Lancer RA is much more geared to people who want most of the basics factory installed -- perhaps mostly people who have been through a few cars already, though not necessarily just the over-30 crowd. Not to say there isn't a lot you can do to a Lancer RA, if you have the money.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if you've handled your dad's STi properly & haven't hit anything w/it, sure go w/the RA. The AWD will be helpful in the winter, as you well know. But, how long is this "while" that you've been driving the STi? Are you 15, 16, or 17?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can handle your dads sti then you should be fine with a new RA, just dont be like all the other young kids with turbo and wreck a brand new car after 1 week lol.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 09:54 AM

EvoX: you should be fine with the RA as your first car, since you said you've driven the STi before. Your only concern would be the price and insurance, obviously. If money isn't a problem, go for it. If it is, there's plenty of other cars in the sub-compact class to use as a first car. Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

I am 16 right now and am getting my license in like a month or two. I am really liking the ralliart right now except for the fact that it's not coming in a MT. I would have a better chance talking my parents into this rather than a used EVO which is why I am leaning towards the ralliart even though I like the styling on the EVO VIII and IX better. My parents really like the idea of AWD because of the snow here in Mass as well.

Anyways anything I get is better than nothing so I can only hope for the best and I hope you get a nice car too.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Lucky bastard! I had to work all through High School and sell plazma to get my 04 Ralliart.
I'd go for it, i mean if you're parents will get it for you milk the parental tit while you can!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

you sure you want to drive automatic for your first car?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

why not... Learning to work paddle shifters will be key since alot of sports cars are going this route

If my daughter was old enough right now I'd start her with a Civic Si or something a bit easier... But the awd in the ralliart is pretty key so that's a good choice.... Just don't be stupid in it!!! It still has alot of tourque
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sicnevol
Lucky bastard! I had to work all through High School and sell DRUGS to get my first honda civic
I'd go for it, i mean if you're parents will get it for you milk the parental tit while you can!
(better story)

I agree. times were hard.
Get the RA, push your dads STI til then.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:03 AM

I don't see a problem with the R/A as a first car. A lot of people are saying, "don't be stupid with it" but, that goes with any car and any level of driving experience. Keep the racing on the track.

My first car was a 1997 Eclipse RS Auto... I worked my butt off for it but, I loved it, despite the problems that particular vehicle was having. I love my Civic now but, I want to keep that as my gas sipper and get the R/A as the funmobile.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

My first car is the stick RA I have right now and it's like the second best thing in the world after falling in love with Jesus!

the infiniti G20 might be a good beginner car too! Go SR20! I would have chosen the G20 cause my cousin had it and it drives beautifully and it gives you a luxury and sporty feel but I couldn't find a stick G20.

Btw, Jesus loves you all! That's why we have cars..
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

i say go for it! if its what you want and you can afford it do it! but you have to be responsible... my first car was a brand new evo ix..... and it ended up totaled 7 days later... i learned the hard way...dont make my mistake dude... i now drive the x and its awesome! the ralliart should be just as cool.

P.s. insurance is probly cheeper for the ralliart so you should see more kids like us with turbo awds!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by uprockmankey
Btw, Jesus loves you all! That's why we have cars..
Please keep religion out of it dude. I respect your right to believe in anything magical... just respect my right not to. Thanks.

Back to the topic at hand: Why not the RA (if you or your parents can afford it). Stupid people will wreck any car they drive... intelligent people will take care of any car they have. So if you trust yourself with it, I say go for it. You will have a blast I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Lancer RA as first car?