Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Modifications possibility

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modifications possibility

So, we have all heard about the locked down nature of teh TC SST tranny equipped cars and how they will not repsond to mods without a tranny tune. A recent thread by AMS shows that they were able to lightly modify a pre production MR without problems which gives great hope for the ralliart. As we know, the ralliart has essentially the same engine and transmission. With an evo turbo, cams, and some minor bolt ons, the car should be able to get in modded evo power territory and should be tad lighter. Very interesting stuff for the ralliart crowd
Old May 1, 2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
So, we have all heard about the locked down nature of teh TC SST tranny equipped cars and how they will not repsond to mods without a tranny tune. A recent thread by AMS shows that they were able to lightly modify a pre production MR without problems which gives great hope for the ralliart. As we know, the ralliart has essentially the same engine and transmission. With an evo turbo, cams, and some minor bolt ons, the car should be able to get in modded evo power territory and should be tad lighter. Very interesting stuff for the ralliart crowd
I think this will be a great tuning car for Mitsu. The reason why I say this, (OLD Muscle car history. Cheap light car with a potent motor). I have been modding cars for 20 years now. You have to love the under dog. In the mid 90's Mustangs would get handed by the Camaro Z28 all day long. With simple mods and light car and oh yes those early 90's stangs weighed in at 2900 LBS for the notch back. You can easily beat the Camaro's with the after market help. I'm looking forward to getting the Ralli Art and do some mods and not only it will be in the Evo X territory with some good mods. I think it will be able to beat it do to the weight differences. I personally will be hunting down STI's . Just think of the possibilities with the Ralli Art and if some parts do carry over from the Evo X. This will be an excellent Tuner car for Mitsu and for the money. The old muscle car recipe is what I see with this car and thats a good thing. Yeah I can get the MR but I always trick out my cars and for the money I think for what I want to do to the car the Ralliart is my ticket. Not because it's what I can afford but what type of mods I can do. Spending 40k ++ on a car and then trying to mod the heck out of the MR it's not to wise for my case. SOrry for the long post guys.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I swear I saw some post before with some credible link stating that the RA will be around 3,450 lbs which is no lightweight. If that's correct that's not really a big weight savings over the EVO.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dklau33
I swear I saw some post before with some credible link stating that the RA will be around 3,450 lbs which is no lightweight. If that's correct that's not really a big weight savings over the EVO.
It is possible it will be equal or heavier because it will not have as much aluminum body panels or aluminum suspension. But it has smaller suspension parts, smaller brakes, smaller wheels, no AYC, less reinforcement, etc. So equal chance for it to be lighter than a comparably equiped MR. Probably no mroe than 100 lbs at most. The point was simply that in a straight line with some basic mods, ad evo would have nothing on it. Unlike the differences between a WRX and STI where the engine is substantial better with more than just cams and a turbo

The real deficit in performance will be in handling as the suspension is quite different and it lacks the extra width
Old May 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

So the RA is going to have a smaller turbo than the EvoX?...excuse my ignorance I haven't been following the RA up until a few days ago but it's nice to see an offering like this. Mistu has missed the mark in this arena for so long!
Old May 1, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
It is possible it will be equal or heavier because it will not have as much aluminum body panels or aluminum suspension. But it has smaller suspension parts, smaller brakes, smaller wheels, no AYC, less reinforcement, etc. So equal chance for it to be lighter than a comparably equiped MR. Probably no mroe than 100 lbs at most. The point was simply that in a straight line with some basic mods, ad evo would have nothing on it. Unlike the differences between a WRX and STI where the engine is substantial better with more than just cams and a turbo

The real deficit in performance will be in handling as the suspension is quite different and it lacks the extra width
No need to speculate on the weight. Mitsubishi themselves have indicated the RA is lighter. You'll find the source in the tech specs pdf that was leaked.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:19 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the transmission issue will be overcome. Not that the car will ever make massive Evo power, but 300hp probably won't be unreasonable. Hopefully, the car will have the same forged internals as the Evo, otherwise that could be the first stumbling block to any serious modding.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:35 PM

I'm going to get a Ralliart. It's not that I can't afford an Evo, it's just, what's the point to spend nearly $12-13K more? I've had an STi for a while then sold it and got an Evo 9 MR. I sold the Evo and got a 1996 Talon TSi AWD for $4800. Threw in $8000 (suspension, turbo, IC, electronics, cosmetics and lots of other supporting mods) into it and not only it looks sick, handles great but it's fast as hell powered by an FP3065. Right now it's got nearly 400 HP and I'm only boosting 18 psi which is hardly anything for that turbo. I'll be at 500 WHP when I build the motor up a bit then boost more. Still with all that, it costs 1/3 of what my stock STi and Evo 9 MR cost.

The point is, you can get a Ralliart, throw in $5000 and shop wisely and build a 400 WHP car easily. The new Ralliart platform is awesome. Evo 9 drivetrain and Evo 10 engine and tranny, in a lighter package. With just wider/lighter wheels, coilovers, bigger turbo and IC, intake, DP, exhaust, injectors and a tune, you will have a monster that'll take on cars costing 2 to 3 times as much. If you shop wisely you can do it for $5000-$6000. Which is still much cheaper than an Evo 10 MR.

Ralliart for the win!
Old May 2, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Warharan
I'm going to get a Ralliart. It's not that I can't afford an Evo, it's just, what's the point to spend nearly $12-13K more? I've had an STi for a while then sold it and got an Evo 9 MR. I sold the Evo and got a 1996 Talon TSi AWD for $4800. Threw in $8000 (suspension, turbo, IC, electronics, cosmetics and lots of other supporting mods) into it and not only it looks sick, handles great but it's fast as hell powered by an FP3065. Right now it's got nearly 400 HP and I'm only boosting 18 psi which is hardly anything for that turbo. I'll be at 500 WHP when I build the motor up a bit then boost more. Still with all that, it costs 1/3 of what my stock STi and Evo 9 MR cost.

The point is, you can get a Ralliart, throw in $5000 and shop wisely and build a 400 WHP car easily. The new Ralliart platform is awesome. Evo 9 drivetrain and Evo 10 engine and tranny, in a lighter package. With just wider/lighter wheels, coilovers, bigger turbo and IC, intake, DP, exhaust, injectors and a tune, you will have a monster that'll take on cars costing 2 to 3 times as much. If you shop wisely you can do it for $5000-$6000. Which is still much cheaper than an Evo 10 MR.

Ralliart for the win!
I don't think the ralliart will handle 400 hp with the Transmission. I think more of the stock HP on the Evo X MR that this ralliart could handle. If anything for me thats what I will do. (Side note: I want 09 Dodge challenger but gas is the issue). and work on suspension and cosmetics of the car. So I dont look like every other Ralliart driving on the streets as I feel this might be the case.
Old May 2, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JDMLUDE35
I don't think the ralliart will handle 400 hp with the Transmission. I think more of the stock HP on the Evo X MR that this ralliart could handle. If anything for me thats what I will do. (Side note: I want 09 Dodge challenger but gas is the issue). and work on suspension and cosmetics of the car. So I dont look like every other Ralliart driving on the streets as I feel this might be the case.
I don't why not if the MR tranny can handle more HP as they are the same tranny. When the 5-speed comes out later then 400 whp should be an easy possibility with just a clutch and flywheel upgrade. Assuming the 4B11 turns out to be as good as the 4G63.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Warharan
I don't why not if the MR tranny can handle more HP as they are the same tranny. When the 5-speed comes out later then 400 whp should be an easy possibility with just a clutch and flywheel upgrade. Assuming the 4B11 turns out to be as good as the 4G63.
The reason why I say this is due to the fact (Correct me if I am wrong here but there are 2 versions of this transmission.) Mr gets the better one and of course the Ralliart gets the lesser one. Also from AMS test 350 hp is what they are looking at with the MR. It is possible that it could handle more but with this Dual clutch transmission I don't see 400 hp on the Ralliart. You said it maye 5 speed could do it but I doubt the SST will handle that much.
Old May 2, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMLUDE35
The reason why I say this is due to the fact (Correct me if I am wrong here but there are 2 versions of this transmission.) Mr gets the better one and of course the Ralliart gets the lesser one. Also from AMS test 350 hp is what they are looking at with the MR. It is possible that it could handle more but with this Dual clutch transmission I don't see 400 hp on the Ralliart. You said it maye 5 speed could do it but I doubt the SST will handle that much.
mitsu has never said there were 2 versions of the SST. that's a "rumor" based on the getrag site that lists 2 DCT's that could possibly be the SST. FAR from fact...

either way i agree 400 whp is optimistic at this point, but a 300-350 whp RA is no slouch... you guys got crazy high standards
Old May 2, 2008, 11:11 PM

Well we cant say what the trans might or might not handle, that is still to be seen. I hope both trans and engine are built strong tho. Reason im saying this is becuase if anyone remember the Evo 4-6 they had a variant called the Lancer GSR which was turbo awd but didnt sport the same motor and stuff. It was cheaper but the engine wasnt strong at all, many stories on people blowing up the blocks becuase they didnt make strong iternals for it.
But hopefully them using the same engine to work off of, it should be stronger and able to handle evo power but will the trans do so since i hear it doesnt have super sport mode or something like that.
Maybe a 5-speed will follow soon after the release but possible 5-speed swaps might be in affect.
Old May 3, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whodizking
Well we cant say what the trans might or might not handle, that is still to be seen. I hope both trans and engine are built strong tho. Reason im saying this is becuase if anyone remember the Evo 4-6 they had a variant called the Lancer GSR which was turbo awd but didnt sport the same motor and stuff. It was cheaper but the engine wasnt strong at all, many stories on people blowing up the blocks becuase they didnt make strong iternals for it.
But hopefully them using the same engine to work off of, it should be stronger and able to handle evo power
but will the trans do so since i hear it doesnt have super sport mode or something like that.
Maybe a 5-speed will follow soon after the release but possible 5-speed swaps might be in affect.
According to the interview with a Mitsu exec done at the Detroit Auto Show, they're not just working off the same engine, it is identical ... except for milder cams and single vs. twin scroll turbo.

As for the tranny, Automobile apparently says its the same tranny as the MR. So, if the rumours are correct, I imagine it'll probably handle 350-360 bhp just like the MR. Maybe it'll be able to take more power, but at the cost of service life. Ie., it won't snap due to the torque-triggered limp/protection mode, but it wear out prematurely and be very expensive to replace.
Old May 3, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by desperado-c
According to the interview with a Mitsu exec done at the Detroit Auto Show, they're not just working off the same engine, it is identical ... except for milder cams and single vs. twin scroll turbo.

As for the tranny, Automobile apparently says its the same tranny as the MR. So, if the rumours are correct, I imagine it'll probably handle 350-360 bhp just like the MR. Maybe it'll be able to take more power, but at the cost of service life. Ie., it won't snap due to the torque-triggered limp/protection mode, but it wear out prematurely and be very expensive to replace.
Thats a good way to put it. I really think 300 HP and the weight on the Ralliart would be fast feeling car. Of course you do some weight reduction lets say shave about 200 lbs and get the car to 300 hp. Thats nice formula for quick car.

Quick Reply: Modifications possibility