Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2009 Ralli Art Featured in Sport Compact Car Magazine

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chance for some magazine scans? I checked 4 stores here for the magazine with no luck
Old May 23, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruboPower
If 315bhp is the limit then the MR is ****ed lol. I highly doubt thats the limit

The exact quote from the magazine reads as follows:

"We hear as-yet uncomfirmed rumors that the Ralliart's TC-SST can handle over 315bhp before becoming undrivable. Our advice? Wait for the five-speed manual version to surface before breaking out the turboback exhaust."

Another quote about the two different variants:

"The engine is matted to a Twin Clutch SST (TC-SST) gearbox that allows paddle-actuated shifts or programmed full-auto modes. There are two selectable modes: Normal and Sport. Unfortunately, Ralliart's version will not come with the third Super Sport mode available on the new Evo MR. But secret sources tell us that a manual (as in stick and pedal) is just around the corner, which would facilitate big power modifications."

They give no exact release date of either the auto or manual.

Last edited by HudsonFalcon; May 23, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by madfast
i hope the RA can match the IX's lateral grip, but handling... well that's gonna be a hard one.
I think lateral grip would be close to the IX. Yes, saying equal to close handling/directional response is harder to be sure of. Increased chassis stiffness might compensate somewhat for it's heaviness. But who knows how Mitsubishi will tune the rest of the suspension components. They will be likely to add more understeer from the factory so it won't get too close to the X's handling.

But car manufacturers have made mistakes before when it comes to how their cars' performance for the amount of money paid is not proportional. Take the Porsche Cayman S for example. It out handles and out grips their much more expensive Carrera GT super car. But that situation will not happen with the RA when you compare it to the X, because the price discrepancy is too close and the target markets are not too different, which would take away sales from the X.

Comparing to the older Evos seems reasonable, though. They have no reason to make the RA inferior handling/grip wise to the Evo IX, because the IX is now irrelevant, because they are not selling them anymore. Making it better than the previous Evos or just as good in terms of handling can only be a good thing to Mitsubishi in my opinion.

all indications are that the RA is just gonna use the GTS suspension. while the GTS is nice handling in it's own right, it ain't no evo. the chassis is stiffer than the IX, but that doesn't even tell half the story. spring rates, damping, CG, etc. all have a lot of impact. steering? the RA will NEVER match the feel of the IX. brakes? not unless you go aftermarket.
Yes, we are not sure of anything about everything else about it's handling/grip components to be completely certain of the RA until it has been tested. I know I can be totally wrong and I don't care. I'm just having fun here. If the RA is lacking in something I'll make it better or just deal with it. Whatever.

the list goes on. that's why i believe they gave it some super sticky tires. they're making up for all the little things that makes an evo an evo.

Last edited by VincentX; May 24, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

i'm waitting 5 speed on the sports back hopefully that will happen
Old May 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

scan this people !!!
Old May 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
The exact quote from the magazine reads as follows:

"We hear as-yet uncomfirmed rumors that the Ralliart's TC-SST can handle over 315bhp before becoming undrivable. Our advice? Wait for the five-speed manual version to surface before breaking out the turboback exhaust."
why are they talking about max hp and not max tq? this leads me to believe they don't really know what they're talking about. remember this same magazine said the RA was gonna be FWD turbo so don't always believe their "intel"

next this is all moot considering that AMS already "tested" a production ready MR with all their bolt ons. that car HAD to have made more than 315 bhp.

the only thing you can talk about is the off chance that the RA uses a different SST than the MR. BUT there is NO evidence that suggests this. the lack of S-Sport in the RA is a software issue not a hardware issue. this DOESN'T mean the RA has a different tranny...
Old May 23, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

im not sure anymore about buying a new lancer ralliart, cause I smell something fishy, mitsubishi probabli do something to the Ralliart , something to make it very very weak against a Evo X, something like 12,000 Dollars weak!

I dont know, i will wait , a lot, I want to see it in action, what if they screw us like the did with the current Ralliart , that no body can reflash or program it , that will stuck the RA .

If this Car release as great as its supposed to be, even if theres not a 5-speed manual tranny option, the one that buy a EVO should be a complete A**HOLE, cause it make ALMOST no sense to buy an EVO, when you can buy the RA for (something like) 12K less, use a fek K of those and you got a EVO killer.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egk-69
im not sure anymore about buying a new lancer ralliart, cause I smell something fishy, mitsubishi probabli do something to the Ralliart , something to make it very very weak against a Evo X, something like 12,000 Dollars weak!

I dont know, i will wait , a lot, I want to see it in action, what if they screw us like the did with the current Ralliart , that no body can reflash or program it , that will stuck the RA .

If this Car release as great as its supposed to be, even if theres not a 5-speed manual tranny option, the one that buy a EVO should be a complete A**HOLE, cause it make ALMOST no sense to buy an EVO, when you can buy the RA for (something like) 12K less, use a fek K of those and you got a EVO killer.
the RA will never out handle an evo...NEVER!!! that's why there's a 12k "premium" on the evo. you can't buy S-AWC from the aftermarket, you can't buy quicker steering, increased track, etc.

just want an awesome street car with awesome straight line speed? the RA would be perfect (tuned of course). THAT'S what mitsu is banking on.

wanna go a lil further and want an all around awesome sports car that can pull .99 lateral g stock? evo.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'm thinking this car will be perfect for me. I want a dependable, fast daily driver that can handle decent in bad weather too. Where I live it is mostly flat and straight roads, but I'm sure it will handle better than my spec-v around the occasional corner. btw, I just read that article and it said someone has gained almost 90hp on the new evo with only bolt-ons and no ecu programming. I'd be happy with maybe 60hp bump on the RA to make it at least as fast as a stock evo.
But yeah, the way it sounds in the mag, if you want to eventually get much over 300hp safely and without spending tons of money and headaches in the process, just wait until the manual comes out. I was kind of looking forward to having the SST-auto so I could take a break from shifting once in awhile and maybe get an automatic starter for the winter. But if the 5-speed is going to be cheaper and lighter with better tune ability, I may just wait. Too bad they could'nt have given us a 6-speed though...
Old May 24, 2008, 08:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by madfast
the RA will never out handle an evo...NEVER!!! that's why there's a 12k "premium" on the evo. you can't buy S-AWC from the aftermarket, you can't buy quicker steering, increased track, etc.
Damn, I thought you were not a fanboy. I'm so disappointed. Tsk Tsk.

You can make it out handle a stock Evo IX and equal or better a stock X handling wise for not that much money. Better tires, better suspension/alignment, and weight reduction. Something the factory could have done without increasing the price of the RA significantly or even at all, but of course they won't do that. Those modifications can also improve steering feel.

If you have enough money you can go to the junkyard and rip out S-AWC from a X and fit it onto a Evo VIII or IX, because a CT9A Evo test mule from Mitsu had S-AWC. That would be extremely stupid for an average/not rich person even if you try to do that on the RA. I wish I was rich. Damn it. I'm pretty sure as time goes by when more and more people wreck their Xs someone will try to install S-AWC into a RA.

As for a quicker steering ratio why not just rob it from a wrecked Evo X and put it on the RA? Tuners have done this type of conversion for the longest ****ing time. Like ever since people figured out they can swap things between two similar cars. Especially cars that have the same chassis.

Wider track = Wide body kit, but expensive. That one is so easy to answer. Common sense, buddy.

just want an awesome street car with awesome straight line speed? the RA would be perfect (tuned of course). THAT'S what mitsu is banking on.
Are you assuming that it will be just a straight line wonder? That's dumb. If it is, why would they give it the same drivertrain as the Evo IX? Why not something more basic and cheaper? It's meant to be a lesser Evo.

wanna go a lil further and want an all around awesome sports car that can pull .99 lateral g stock? evo.
.99 lateral g stock? The Evo X, yes. The Evo IX can't do that stock. The Evo IX is around .90. Maybe a bit better, though.

Last edited by VincentX; May 24, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
But yeah, the way it sounds in the mag, if you want to eventually get much over 300hp safely and without spending tons of money and headaches in the process, just wait until the manual comes out. I was kind of looking forward to having the SST-auto so I could take a break from shifting once in awhile and maybe get an automatic starter for the winter. But if the 5-speed is going to be cheaper and lighter with better tune ability, I may just wait. Too bad they could'nt have given us a 6-speed though...

My thoughts exactly. I was looking forward to the Auto but performance wise the 5-speed seems to be the way to go. I'm still on the fence though and we have ample time before the RA comes out to see how the TC-SST performs.
Old May 24, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 speeds are a great performance package but someone who knows what they are doing with the Auto can out run a 5/6 speed any day. I have built autos for hot rods that blow the doors off any 5/6 speed on the market. Plus an auto can shift percisely in less then 1 sec. Can you shift that fast? Never underestimate the automatics. I bet no one will do anything with the auto so ya'll will run away from them with the manual gearbox.
Old May 25, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
Damn, I thought you were not a fanboy. I'm so disappointed. Tsk Tsk.

You can make it out handle a stock Evo IX and equal or better a stock X handling wise for not that much money. Better tires, better suspension/alignment, and weight reduction. Something the factory could have done without increasing the price of the RA significantly or even at all, but of course they won't do that. Those modifications can also improve steering feel.

If you have enough money you can go to the junkyard and rip out S-AWC from a X and fit it onto a Evo VIII or IX, because a CT9A Evo test mule from Mitsu had S-AWC. That would be extremely stupid for an average/not rich person even if you try to do that on the RA. I wish I was rich. Damn it. I'm pretty sure as time goes by when more and more people wreck their Xs someone will try to install S-AWC into a RA.

As for a quicker steering ratio why not just rob it from a wrecked Evo X and put it on the RA? Tuners have done this type of conversion for the longest ****ing time. Like ever since people figured out they can swap things between two similar cars. Especially cars that have the same chassis.

Wider track = Wide body kit, but expensive. That one is so easy to answer. Common sense, buddy.
dude, that's a lotta mods. for the cost of parts and labor for all that, you could probably buy an evo X and then some. swapping steering racks and drivetrains, etc. ain't like changing wheels. weight reduction affects practicality and civility.

also the main difference between X and RA is S-AWC/AYC. that is VERY tough to simulate. the heroic handling that S-AWC/AYC gives you is something totally different than stiffer rear sway bars and crap like that.

as for the IX vs RA, the IX is still lighter than the RA and steers quicker. better stock suspension. a good used IX costs the same as the RA anyways so no value in the RA.

another aspect of "handling" is brakes. with the evos you don't necessarily need to upgrade anything until you get serious. the RA is gonna require expensive big brake kits to match the evo's stock brake set up.

face it, to make it better than an evo, might as well just have bought an evo... IF YOU CAN. if your whole intent is to make an evo killing RA then you'd be dumb, dumb, dumb.... if you just wanna pimp your RA then cool, just don't act like you tuned RA is better than an evo cuz with 1/4 of the money you spent to get there, the evo will convincingly surpass that mark.

Are you assuming that it will be just a straight line wonder? That's dumb. If it is, why would they give it the same drivertrain as the Evo IX? Why not something more basic and cheaper? It's meant to be a lesser Evo.
quite frankly... YES! if it was supposed to be some handling monster why give it GTS brakes and suspension (albeit probably with a bit stiffer suspension settings). i can see no brembos stock, but not an option either? no option of eibach springs or bilstein dampers, forged lightweight wheels, etc. the car has good handling stock but not evo-like handling. this is obviously for cost cutting and product planning/market placement reasons. so what you end up with is a good STREET machine where you don't need to pull lateral g's and stop on a dime. what you need is a good gearbox, which it has, and a punchy quick spooling engine, which it has.

the USDM IX handles great but it's not magic. sticky tires, good suspension, great steering, good brakes, etc. the JDM IX handles even better: less weight & AYC. but the RA will undoubtedly have merely adequate brakes and suspension stock and it weighs a ton, relatively. it's NOT destined for greatness as a race car but as a street car? HELL YES!

.99 lateral g stock? The Evo X, yes. The Evo IX can't do that stock. The Evo IX is around .90. Maybe a bit better, though.
i was talking about the X and like i said, even to match a IX you'd have to spend some considerable dough and at that point the cost of RA + suspension would give you a car that handles just as well but is still slower. if your intent was to beat it, guess what? you still lose.

Last edited by madfast; May 25, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

It's meant to be a lesser Evo alright. Much lesser. At that price point, you just can't expect it to be anything like an IX. They're going to be able to offer it at about $25K with the Evo drivetrain b/c everything else will be GTS. Still, it will be interesting to see how well it will track. The target is the WRX so it will have to handle at least that well.

On the brakes specifically, they're actually a little smaller than the GTS'. But I think I read somewhere that the GTS' are the same ones used on the 4000+ lbs. Endeavor. So, even if a little smaller they ought to be plenty of stopping power for the RA. Again, it's gotta run against the WRX in the mags, so stopping power has to be pretty good. Not like an Evo but still pretty good.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Eh, one of the first things I'm adding is phat *** brake kit and rims/tires

Quick Reply: 2009 Ralli Art Featured in Sport Compact Car Magazine