Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any smog legal cat back exhaust for Cali?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
quoted from their site from the Ti-C section ".... for suitable sound levels when used with the included tuned Tri-mounted Silencer*. *Most applications below 92db, with all under 94db"

http://www.greddy.com/disclaimer/
"Some products listed are legal for sale or use in CA only on vehicles which may never be driven on a public highway. Parts with a CARB EO# are legal in all 50 states, California included, and are designed for pollution controlled vehicles. Check your state and local laws regarding the use of any performance products."

think what it comes down to is the sound issue.. as long as you have the silencer installed and nothing else is done b4 the cat ie ported headers/tb, etc you should be fine.... like i said b4 most likely you may get a ref ticket if cop pulls u over.. but if they pop ur hood your crap underneath better be legal or else ur screwed

Last edited by OZR_Lancer; Mar 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PCToolsWiki
Anyone know if the HKS is loud?
No. You can tell a difference in tone (stock vs. HKS), but not loud by any means.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

What about UR Exhuast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UR-20...#ht_2831wt_942
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

??
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:19 AM

try the ultimate racing catback...only prob is its loud as hell lol
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jllaqui
try the ultimate racing catback...only prob is its loud as hell lol
From the videos I watched it doesn't sound loud.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

ok this is what i found out today when i was at the state ref. is that if your exhaust did not come with a carb number you can actually take it to your local ref station the will measure your decibel level and see if you car passes the sniffer. If your car pass the sniffer and the decibel is under or at the 95db level for cars that way under 6000 lb they give you a cert. that your car meets all the requirements and that your exhaust is street legal. They did it to my car with the factory exhaust (86db if you where wondering) and they gave me a cert that says my exhaust is legal lol.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:42 AM

California is looking for anything to site you for...They're strapped for cash. Or so they say.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo ippo
ok this is what i found out today when i was at the state ref. is that if your exhaust did not come with a carb number you can actually take it to your local ref station the will measure your decibel level and see if you car passes the sniffer. If your car pass the sniffer and the decibel is under or at the 95db level for cars that way under 6000 lb they give you a cert. that your car meets all the requirements and that your exhaust is street legal. They did it to my car with the factory exhaust (86db if you where wondering) and they gave me a cert that says my exhaust is legal lol.

you can only do this if you got a ticket for mod exhaust or loud exhaust or anything that has to do with a exhaust... if you just go in they might check it but dont mean it will be attached to your DMV records... also they will photograph the exhaust as well so the next time you get pull over for the same ticket you show them the cert. and they will look it up in the DMV records and they can see the look of how the exhaust looked like when you got ref.ed so you cant cheat the system....

ps i know i got many loud exhaust tickets with my AMS catback haha
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing is legal in ca and to tell you the truth i stop caring a long time ago. It really dont matter. I have always modifyed all my cars. I have always boosted all my cars and have always ran test pipe and full 3" eahaust. In my 10 years of driving i goten a few tint tickets and maybe 1 exhaust ticket. For the most part if you drive like a normal person the cops will leave you alone. As for smog just get an illegal one like everyone else does here.

As for exhaust i always recomend to run a large straight through oval muffler. Its free flowing and pretty quiet. I have a magnaflow 5x8x18 with no cat or resanators and its not too loud.

i have a magnaflow 5x11x22 on my turbo integra and its almost silent

Last edited by riceball777; Apr 12, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
nothing is legal in ca and to tell you the truth i stop caring a long time ago. It really dont matter. I have always modifyed all my cars. I have always boosted all my cars and have always ran test pipe and full 3" eahaust. In my 10 years of driving i goten a few tint tickets and maybe 1 exhaust ticket. For the most part if you drive like a normal person the cops will leave you alone. As for smog just get an illegal one like everyone else does here.

As for exhaust i always recomend to run a large straight through oval muffler. Its free flowing and pretty quiet. I have a magnaflow 5x8x18 with no cat or resanators and its not too loud.

i thought in cali they canceled the smog test for cars made passed 98 anyways who cares about smog test anyways.

i have not smog a car since 2000 or so.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wasurumo
i thought in cali they canceled the smog test for cars made passed 98 anyways who cares about smog test anyways.

i have not smog a car since 2000 or so.

never heard that one before ??
Old May 24, 2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by riceball777

okay then help me...I cant find a shop in the oc that'll do it. i passed the WHOLE f'ing test in 03 rally and then they did the visual and told me to get it off the rack...wtf? now i have a week to get the smog b4 my tags are up and no place to get a smog....btw, its the rrm header doing it.