Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any smog legal cat back exhaust for Cali?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any smog legal cat back exhaust for Cali?

As we all know CA has real tuff street legal/smog laws (CARB) and I was wondering if there is a street legal catback exhaust for a 2010 RA? Preferably not over $1k
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
California Air Resource Board (CARB) does not regulate cat back exhausts for the most part. You are more at the mercy of your local PD and the juristrictions that you drive through and even more to the individual officer and his mood that moment. I got an exhaust ticket once for the stock EVO exhaust because he thought it was aftermarket. He was sure that a little four door import car couldnt come with a 4" tip stock and he lectured me on how a tip alone can change the sound :-/

In general you can get away with a louder exhaust if it looks stocker than stock. If you get a phat tip JDM bling exhaust, it had better be super quiet. The older you are and the whiter you are helps you get away with more. If you live in an area where the cops have more important things to worry about, you can also get away with more. In cities with street racing problems and redneck import hating cops, you are screwed.

Mike W
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check out the apexi nior.. supposed to be smog legal and its a great sleeper exhaust
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I looked at the Apexi Noir and I can't find it for a 2010 RA. Also it looks like theirs are single exhaust.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know if this HKS on is CA legal

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/hks-...3-p-11574.html
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PCToolsWiki
I don't know if this HKS on is CA legal

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/hks-...3-p-11574.html
I have the same exhaust, albeit for a X. With a down-pipe, HFC, the car sounds good, not too loud or obnoxious. I'm happy with it.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

My response "Right now we don’t carry anything that’s CARB legal for your car. Maybe you can look into Magnaflow, we don’t carry them though."
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

you live in CA nothing is legal!!!!!!! either just do it or dont at all... CARB legal dont mean anything... they will still write you up and tell you to go prove it in court.... simple as that....

thats my 2 pennies lol
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:10 PM

look for a perrin exhaust perrinperformance.com
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
Account Disabled

changing a catback doesnt change the emissions of a car by anything measurable (provided it has a muffler(s). The cat is still in place and the control is still running.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rome-Evo
look for a perrin exhaust perrinperformance.com
Perin doesn't make Ralliart exhaust
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike W
California Air Resource Board (CARB) does not regulate cat back exhausts for the most part. You are more at the mercy of your local PD and the juristrictions that you drive through and even more to the individual officer and his mood that moment. I got an exhaust ticket once for the stock EVO exhaust because he thought it was aftermarket. He was sure that a little four door import car couldnt come with a 4" tip stock and he lectured me on how a tip alone can change the sound :-/

In general you can get away with a louder exhaust if it looks stocker than stock. If you get a phat tip JDM bling exhaust, it had better be super quiet. The older you are and the whiter you are helps you get away with more. If you live in an area where the cops have more important things to worry about, you can also get away with more. In cities with street racing problems and redneck import hating cops, you are screwed.

Mike W
+1 you don't need a carb number for catbacks. completely an officer descretion thing. I got hit for the airbox on my car and evo's don't need carb numbers on them either, straight from the cali ref station
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone know if the HKS is loud?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have a custom catback for my oz and iv been tailed by cops and they dont bother.. besides if u dont drive like a idiot they wont bother you.. and theirs no emmision equip after the cat anyways.. all it is really is pipingto a resoator and the muffler.. like what my oz has but my muffler has a silencer so sounds is not a problem... if u keep the rpms low while driving in streets while in the right gear the db is below the limit...

but like the other one said if the cop is in a peed off mood then he most likely give u a ref ticket
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil03
you live in CA nothing is legal!!!!!!! either just do it or dont at all... CARB legal dont mean anything... they will still write you up and tell you to go prove it in court.... simple as that....

thats my 2 pennies lol
*sigh* That sounds about right.

By the by, doesn't Greddy claim that most of their parts are CARB legal?

Quick Reply: Any smog legal cat back exhaust for Cali?