Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Replacing my catalytic converter void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing my catalytic converter void my warranty?

Will replacing JUST my catalytic converter with a hi flow CAT void my warranty? It will be CARB legal still.

Also if I just change my muffles will it void it as well?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Call local and dealers ask them. Will be the best answer you will get.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

A modification will "void" your warranty if you have a problem with a part that is related to what you have modified, and if the company then decides that the modification you made caused the failure on the part.

So could it void the warranty on something? Yes. Is just that part likely to, probably not, but that's a risk you take when you modify your car. =)

And as for asking a dealer, their word means nothing unless you can get it in writing. Try to remember that.

-Taranis
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
first thing our district rep looks for when he comes out to authorize a major warranty claim is factory cat, just keep that in mind

edit: and before everyone starts crying "magnusson/moss", depending on other mods, if any (and sometimes even more importantly the car and the driver's relationship with the dealer) a verification of "apparent abuse/neglect" by a dealer or rep. basically slaps the magnusson/moss act in the face and asks if it would like another

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Apr 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Replacing your light bulbs will void your stock light bulbs warranty dude...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
Replacing your light bulbs will void your stock light bulbs warranty dude...
Are you sure stock bulbs are covered by mitsu??
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to a dealership about this yesterday, I just did my exhaust. They told me, and it depends on the dealer, but they said since I got my exhaust done, if the exhaust screwed up or broke, then my emissions warranty would be voided. Same goes for each specific part of the warranty. For example, you put on fmic and turbo takes a dump for some reason, then your engine aspect of warranty is void. Like I said, dealerships are all different, some could really care less about mods, some will kick you to the curb.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOG RA
I talked to a dealership about this yesterday, I just did my exhaust. They told me, and it depends on the dealer, but they said since I got my exhaust done, if the exhaust screwed up or broke, then my emissions warranty would be voided. Same goes for each specific part of the warranty. For example, you put on fmic and turbo takes a dump for some reason, then your engine aspect of warranty is void. Like I said, dealerships are all different, some could really care less about mods, some will kick you to the curb.
So since it is a Hi Flow CAT if I say blow my transmission, I should be safe?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

mostly yes, if your reputation with the dealer is good, most likely you'll be fine, but the problem, especially when it comes to cat replacement, is that its usually the #1 sign of racing and aggressive driving habits which can be considered abuse and void warranty because it is considered "outside the limits of normal use"
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
mostly yes, if your reputation with the dealer is good, most likely you'll be fine, but the problem, especially when it comes to cat replacement, is that its usually the #1 sign of racing and aggressive driving habits which can be considered abuse and void warranty because it is considered "outside the limits of normal use"
So do you recommend just changing the muffler?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Just out of curiosity...why put in JUST a high flow cat? I dont think you would see any benefits at all. Plus, the RA cat is the same as the Evo, which runs more power to begin with, so in a way, it is already hi-flow for our application.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PCToolsWiki
So do you recommend just changing the muffler?
if you're looking for sound, then cat-back is the way to go (muffler & midpipe) and should in no-way void your warranty, its nothing more than a noisemaker, maybe a slight power increase but probably nothing noticable.

if you're looking for more power, the cat is still the most restrictive section of the exhaust and should be the primary concern. a high-flow cat is definitely a better choice if you are trying to retain warranty as much as possible, and will still yield decent gains almost as good as a test pipe.

Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
Just out of curiosity...why put in JUST a high flow cat? I dont think you would see any benefits at all. Plus, the RA cat is the same as the Evo, which runs more power to begin with, so in a way, it is already hi-flow for our application.
as said above, cat is the most restrictive section of the exhaust, no matter whether ralliart or evo. the evo just sees greater power increase from removal because of the already higher output engine configuration. if you think about it, its probably more restrictive to our ralliarts because it has to be efficient enough to control emissions on a car that puts out even more pollution than ours. the main reason to replace only the cat is to see the best possible exhaust mod related power increase without increasing the sound hardly any and keeping a somewhat "stealth" effect to the car and deterring unwanted attention and such

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Apr 16, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can talk to your dealership but if you are really concerned about keeping the warranty then don't take your chances and keep the car stock. I actually just went through this with my third party warranty company who basically told me that they weren't going to cover my exhaust manifold because I didn't have a cat . When I argued with them that not having a cat could in no way affect the manifold all they told me was that they basically weren't going to cover anything because the car had been modified. I ended up cancelling the warranty and getting my money back after that conversation. I know this is a little different because you're probably talking about a factory warranty but like I said, if you really want to keep the warranty then save the mods until after it expires.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, in summary:

YES! Removing your stock Catalytic Converter will MORE THAN LIKELY void your warranty. Your biggest issue, in my mind, is that $10,000 transmission taking a dump. Trust me, for that kind of money, Mitsubishi is going to look for ANYTHING to hold against you. Does that mean don't do it? No. Unless you drive like an *******, replacing the cat isn't going to do anything. I doubt that you will see any increase in power.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

we only have 1 CAT right? I know the WRX has a few

Quick Reply: Replacing my catalytic converter void my warranty?