Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Deciding on mods for my '10 RA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding on mods for my '10 RA

Now that my RA is broken in and I've gotten used to its handling and acceleration, I've been searching through different manufacturers for mods. Here's a list of what I'm thinking of doing and what I expect from the car.

I'm happy with the bottom end torque, but the top end is lacking (especially coming from my turbo'd civic which had no bottom end but tons of top end). My civic had 255whp but that came in around 8000 rpm. I'd like to at least match that hp number, so here's what I'm thinking of doing.
AMS intercooler + UICP
AMS transmission cooler
AMS downpipe
AMS high flow cat
UR LICP (since the AMS LICP requires the AMS intake, which won't work where I live due to the fact that I need the full size battery to get me through those ridiculous Canadian winter mornings)
AMS boost pill
Cobb AP with pro tune
Stock exhaust (don't want the noise)
Stock intake with K&N drop in

To improve handling and reduce body roll,
RRM drop springs
18x8 TSW Nurburgring rims with Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires (235/40R18)
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php

With this setup, I may be able to avoid a rear fender roll, what do you guys think?
Any suggestions as far as different manufacturers or different mods other than those listed?

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

If your not going to change the rest of the exhaust, it seems kind of silly to swap out the downpipe and the cat.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe. I've been following Brian from GST motorsports who kept his stock cat-back but changed out the downpipe and cat. His idea was to keep noise down, which I like, but if the cat-back is restrictive than I will change it out. I'm not sure if it is or not, that's why I ask
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

The only reason he switched out his downpipe and cat is because he swapped his RA turbo for an evox one.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Our downpipe will not work with the stock Ralliart turbo. If you want top end power, you should be switching the turbo out for an Evo X one anyways.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I thought it's been proven just installing a 3" test pipe will net you more power.

I have an hks dp and catback with a hfc. I didnt notice much butt dyno performance gain. It may rev smoother, but its mainly just louder.

I think if i went with the ams single tip exhaust, there'd be a much more noticeable performance gain. So keeping stockish sound wont net you much power, but on the other hand you have to go full out to receive the most benefit from a turbo back exhaust.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
Our downpipe will not work with the stock Ralliart turbo. If you want top end power, you should be switching the turbo out for an Evo X one anyways.
That's been an idea of mine, but I worry about getting too close to the tranmission's torque limit. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm not against upgrading the exhaust, I just don't need the extra attention. Anyone have any 3" exhaust system suggestions that keep the noise down? The Borla, AMS dual exit and UR exhaust come to mind.

It would help me if I'd heard one of these systems personally, but nobody in my area has attempted this project before. Sooo many fart-can Civics and Cavaliers and Neons around here, makes me sick.

Being the only person within 50kms to attempt any kind of tune on a newer Mitsu, I have nobody to bounce ideas off. So I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by SudzRA; Nov 12, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Borla and UR are very loud! AMS twin tip would be my choice! There is only one performance shop I would let touch my car and it is Magnus motorsports in Toronto.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

AMS seems to be the most quiet out of all 3in cat backs.. but personally i would still go for HKS... im pretty sure 255whp is do-able without a cat back ... maybe just a DP + HFC...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that you will need a transmission cooler with just those modifications. I would definitely replace the LICP and UICP. An Evo X IC might be more affordable, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the AMS version. The UR LICP is the way to go, because it works perfectly with the stock BOV location/piping. It made that part of the install that much easier. Beyond that, I went with the UR SRI. I feel like that works a little bit better than a drop-in, for whatever reason. The power with it on coupled with the boost pill, IC, and piping is great. I wish that I could give you some numbers, but I don't have any yet.

I am looking at the exhaust side of things, as well. As far as I can tell, the midpipe is 2.5"? If you were to replace the DP and HFC with 3" pieces, you will probably want to replace the midpipe and muffler as well. I think that I will end up replacing all of the pieces at once, because I don't enjoy continuously putting my car in the air. Either way, good luck. The modification list sounds okay. Expensive...but okay.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

AMS is the way I've been leaning as far as exhaust. I considered the HKS, but it's only a 2.5 inch and I figure if I'm going to do the exhaust, I should go 3". I wonder what the power gain difference is between the two sizes, because if it's not large, I'll go HKS. I've heard that the sound isn't too bad with it, and I do like the burnt titanium tips

As far as tuning, has anyone heard anything about Neetronics in Mississauga? They're a Cobb protuner, but I can't find much feedback from customers they've had.

Finally, about the transmission cooler, I agree that I might not need it, so it's the last mod I want to do, and only because I want to prevent problems before they happen. I learned this lesson the hard way with the Civic.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

I was also curious to know the HP diff between the HKS 2.5" and any other 3" options available. Quite and power doesn't seem to go together though.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueRalliart
Replacing the cutback would be best. You could always get a silencer if it gets too loud for you.
Ggcruz bought a silencer and said it doesn't silence ****! He has the ams single catback. So do I and my fiance can here me a mile away. I like it! As far as a tranny cooler, not entirely necessary as someone above said unless you are tracking your RA. Its beneficial but not a necessity. A oil cooler would be something to look into. I also recommend not to change the dp unless you upgrade the turbo. Its a labor intensive mod and the net gains are worthless unless you get a bigger turbo.

Just my opinion
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:44 PM
Account Disabled

I still have the stock catback on my RA and it's making 160 whp more then stock.

It's as quiet as stock as well.

- Bryan
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Bryan! I had read you were still running the stock catback. That's why I thought of leaving it in the first place. I figure I can probably get away with just running a hi-flow cat based on what I'm reading here.

I have a new question. My reason for wanting to change the downpipe is because TurboXS says that the Ralliart has 2 cats, one in the dp and one in the midpipe. I was thinking I could get rid of the first one and then run a high-flow cat for the second one.
Does the RA actually have 2 cats? TurboXS says it does, nobody else talks about it.

Check their website under frontpipe (downpipe)

http://turboxs.com/shop_car2.php?car=27