Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS Small battery Install Location

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Small battery Install Location

I picked up a factory RF sub to finally gain some trunk space back from my giant Kicker 12L7 that took up my entire trunk. This also meant it was time to get my AMS small battery mounted in a more permanent home. The styrofoam dividers couldn't work any better for this. The battery sticks up maybe 2mm higher than the inlay for the piece of cardboard but it still works fine and is unnoticeable once the carpet is in.

Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's pretty slick! Any pictures of the connection of the existing wires in the engine bay with the wires you ran to the trunk?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome job! I will hopefully relocating my battery to the trunk soon. Have you had the AMS battery through a winter yet?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I had it through this last winter. Couple days for below zero and I didn't have any problem starting. Initially I had an amp and sub in the trunk, so I already had a 4GA wire ran to the front so cranking is a bit slower than stock. My next step will be to run some thicker guage wire when I get around to it.

I just tapped the power into the nut on the side of the old battery terminal just as you would installing a amp. Taped the connection and ziptied the old battery terminals out of the way. That way if I ever decide to ditch the intake I can put the old battery tray in and no one would ever know I had the battery in the trunk.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

I was contemplating on just getting the ams bracket and going with a braille battery. Braille has a battery the same weight and almost the same size but 1067 crank amps instead of 680.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

How much would a rear mounted bat. run if you take it somewhere to get it done instead of trying it out yourself?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

You could take it to any car audio install shop. Basically it's the same as installing an amplifier in the trunk. I'd say you would have less than $100 in labor + wire + battery.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Finally got my 0GA wire installed. What a world of difference even in warm temperatures. After a bit of research 4GA is really only good for 75A which is far too little when starting in cold weather or even warm weather for that matter.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks great, but damn is that unsafe. i wouldnt bother trying to go racing and pass tech inspection any time soon
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Quick question. Isn't that dangerous because batteries emit some sort of harmful vapor? Or is the AMS battery self contained or something? Just wondering.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

thats why i said what i did. technically it should be vented out of the car some way and if he ever intends on competing in any type of sanctioned event he'll need some sort of external kill switch/cutoff as well
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, IASCA (one of the car stereo competition organizations) would definitely doc points for that, if not disqualify, if there's no venting to outside the car and the battery isn't the sealed type. However, since the battery ~is~ on its side and isn't leaking fluids, that would indicate that it is a sealed (non-venting) battery.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
looks great, but damn is that unsafe. i wouldnt bother trying to go racing and pass tech inspection any time soon
Originally Posted by nunyas
yeah, IASCA (one of the car stereo competition organizations) would definitely doc points for that, if not disqualify, if there's no venting to outside the car and the battery isn't the sealed type. However, since the battery ~is~ on its side and isn't leaking fluids, that would indicate that it is a sealed (non-venting) battery.

That battery you could mount on your dashboard and it would pass tech. It's a drycell battery.

However, in that photo above it doesn't actually look like it's *bolted* down so yes that wouldn't pass tech and is dangerous. It really needs to be mounted.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^true. In a collision it would be a fire hazard.

Gel cel is the only way to go and use the biggest gauge wires you can fit.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
That battery you could mount on your dashboard and it would pass tech. It's a drycell battery.
thanks for the clarification , i wasnt sure, though it makes sense that it is on its side without issue. i've only seen one in person and didnt have much time to actually check it out.

would still need to properly secure and kill switch . if only i felt better about drilling into my car...the front plate mount was bad enough

Quick Reply: AMS Small battery Install Location