Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forester STi?
Old May 8, 2011, 05:46 PM

I get 28-30 on the Highway. On the other hand if you want to drive it hard, its a fun drive (although you won't get that gas mileage).
Old May 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the way of looking at the Ralliart. It is essentially the same thing as an Evo 8 with a MIVEC motor. Sure, the brakes are smaller and a few other things need to be tweaked, but there really is no advantage, in my mind to an Evo X over a Ralliart. The older guys say that they like the RA better than the X.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
Here is the way of looking at the Ralliart. It is essentially the same thing as an Evo 8 with a MIVEC motor. Sure, the brakes are smaller and a few other things need to be tweaked, but there really is no advantage, in my mind to an Evo X over a Ralliart. The older guys say that they like the RA better than the X.
It is for sure *not* the same thing as a Evo 8 with a 4b11.

I own both. I've owned both 100% stock. The Evo 8 would run circles around the Ralliart.

The weight advantage alone is a huge difference and very noticeable going from RA to Evo 8.

That said, the RA is *not* a bad handling car at all, it's just the Evo 8 is a great handling car. The Evo 8 has a superior suspension setup compared to the RA.

The RA has one advantage with the SST trans compared to the Evo 8 manual as far as much faster shifting and no boost drop between shifts.

The other advantage, at least for me, is that I can fit a whole heck of alot more things in the back of my RA Sportback then I can with the Evo.

Last edited by razorlab; May 8, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
Yeah, I was gonna say.... sounds more like you (the OP) need a hybrid suv rather than an awd sports car.
Yeah I might have overstated my concerns over MPG... The city I'll be moving to hasn't embraced the idea of parking lots just yet so most cars just park on the (rather narrow) streets anywhere they can. A bulky SUV wouldn't really do it over there. On the other side, the public transportation is pretty good so I'll mostly be using this car on weekends when I visit relatives and stuff, or picking up lots of groceries. I just really want performance and reliability in adverse weather, in addition to having an enjoyable ride. AWD sport sedans are the future

ipnurpol - that's some pretty good highway mileage dude, even the official estimate of 25 is pretty good for an AWD vehicle in my opinion.

Do you all think Mitsubishi will still provide maintenance support if it discontinues the Evo soon? I know that's just a rumor, but still..

I'm trying to go to a Mitsubishi dealership in the next two weeks to try out the RA, Sportback RA, and Evo just to get a feel of them, and I'm also curious about any differences in cabin size/leg room up front. I'll post an update as soon as I get the chance.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tomatochucker
Yeah I might have overstated my concerns over MPG... The city I'll be moving to hasn't embraced the idea of parking lots just yet so most cars just park on the (rather narrow) streets anywhere they can. A bulky SUV wouldn't really do it over there. On the other side, the public transportation is pretty good so I'll mostly be using this car on weekends when I visit relatives and stuff, or picking up lots of groceries. I just really want performance and reliability in adverse weather, in addition to having an enjoyable ride. AWD sport sedans are the future

ipnurpol - that's some pretty good highway mileage dude, even the official estimate of 25 is pretty good for an AWD vehicle in my opinion.

Do you all think Mitsubishi will still provide maintenance support if it discontinues the Evo soon? I know that's just a rumor, but still..

I'm trying to go to a Mitsubishi dealership in the next two weeks to try out the RA, Sportback RA, and Evo just to get a feel of them, and I'm also curious about any differences in cabin size/leg room up front. I'll post an update as soon as I get the chance.
discontinued or not. if you bought your car with a warranty, by law they are required to service it and maintain it for the remainder of the warranty. whats the point of signing a contract if theyre just going to shaft you in the end?
Old May 9, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
1. Drove an 09 RA and ehh. 09 RA is nothing Like an VIII in any way, shape, or form. As Bryan said stock for stock the VIII will do figure 8's around the RA. Add mods and the performance gap just widens from there

2. No advantage to a X over a RA?? . The X handles better, brakes better, and makes more power. Don't know where you were going here other than to talk up your RA or justify your purchase
Old May 25, 2011, 06:33 AM

You won't be able to take your car overseas unless is paid in full. Check ur contract. My 2 Cents.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:33 AM

Here in Oz the RA is 30k cheaper than the EVO, so far for around $2000 in mods my RA will eat a standard EVO X in a straight line. For an extra $8000 i can have better brakes and suspension than the stock EVO. The biggest difference is the Active Yaw Control.

For me it's Ralliart all the way.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

The way I see it the two cars are built for two different people. If you are looking for a sporty car with a good daily driver feel then look at the RA. Also if you are the weekend warrior that is looking to do a some small track events on occasion then the RA will cover that as well.

Yes you can get a RA to beat an Evo in a straight line with a simple flash but this is not what the Evo is all about. Evos are built to perform as well as many cars more expensive and do a very good job of it. Keep in mind the Mitsubishi is looking at every aspect
when builing Evos. They are not focusing on the 0-60 sprint.

If you are going to get more serious with track events or looking for performance levels equal to upper level sports cars with some mods then you need to buy an evo. Modding an RA (or any car) is fun and rewarding but getting huge gains out of a RA for the purpose of running with the big guys is going to get very costly and a big up hill battle to do so.

Yes you can mod. and RA to beat Evos but it takes very little modding to one up the RA again. The suspension system, (geometry/and all aluminium) body rigidity (many extra welds and bracing), S-AWC and many other things make up an Evo. These things will be hard to over come.

If you are looking for only straight line speed then go out and get and RA and do some bolt ons. If you want the whole performance package and can afford it. (including insurance) Get the EVO and **** off the big dogs.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:11 PM

Ummm, excuse me???? Whos dead horse is this in my parking spot. LOL
Kidding.....

Just a little side note. If you are going to drive this on mostly short trips or short commutes with little highway driving forget 17 mpg. Forget 15 mpg even. I average 15.5 for the last 2000 miles all short trips almost no highway, and I have to drive like I am 92 years old and living in FL. lol Just saying.......
Other then that really great car. lots of fun.........
Old May 26, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stig013
I average 15.5 for the last 2000 miles all short trips almost no highway, and I have to drive like I am 92 years old and living in FL.
We've been down this road before Stig.....For the vast majority of people, the car gets the mileage that's advertised on the sticker(18/25 or more) as long as you're not constantly going WOT. So, unfortunately you are the exception rather than the rule here.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:52 AM

Your right we have, been down this road before. The pros and cons thread that is.
However, you would be wrong about the advertised mpg dealy. Most people on here are modded or tuned, so there mpg does not apply. Also I pre-faced my comments with the facts that I do all local driving, almost no highway. So I believe my statement to be accurate. If I were to do more highway I am sure it would change. Fact is low mpg est. is at 17. Depending on method used by manufacturer to come up with that number I believe it is very misleading. His original post stated that mpg is very important to him. Just trying to give fair info. Inflated numbers after mods or tuning and a 40 mile commute on the highway to work is only one side of the story.
As much as it pisses me off to put $50 of fuel in my car every week I still love the hell out of it. It really is a great car. Its sad there wont be anymore soon......
Old May 30, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

IIRC the manufactures MPG estimates are based on lower average speed, not significantly more 'start and stops'. What eats gas is getting going and WOT. If you have the MMCS turn on the Trip screen to view 'Instant Fuel Economy", it has been VERY helpful in teaching me how to drive the RA so as to conserve gas (if and when I want to ;p )
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:43 PM

evooo ftw but im slightly biased. for all reasons posted ra

Quick Reply: What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?