Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see this as *really* simple.

I test drove the RA and the Evo in my search for my new daily driver. The Evo would have been very close to my NSX in terms of utility. IMO, it isnt a daily driver.

Now if you can *only* own one car, are single, and place massive value on ultimate performance, then sure, it is *possible* to DD an Evo. I drove a 911 C2 daily for a while as well, but the concessions are big.

The RA has a softer, less punishing, suspension, has an actually usable trunk, seats that fold down, and is less brutal all around. In exchange, it is not in the same performance category as the Evolution.

If you cant *afford* the Evo, but love it, its a non-issue - you have no choice anyway. If you *can* afford either one and either dont give a damn at *all* about utility, or its a second car, thats a no brainer as well - get the Evo.

If you want an "Evo-esque" experience and need some utility, then the RA is an almost unique car. There is the WRX, the BMW xi, Audi S4, LS350 AWD and G37xs. Everything else either doesnt perform as well as even the RA (much less the Evo) or isnt AWD.

"Quick AWD compact sedan with daily drivability and decent utility" is *not* a crowded field.

Last edited by mlambert890; Jul 13, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

ra all day
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pro:
Cheaper
Lower insurance (if you have 2 or more tickets, it'll matter)
Driving certain roads will not cause your back to break
60/40 fold down seats
Bigger trunk
Steel bends, aluminum shatters (chassis)

Con:
It's not an EVO...if you can afford it, get it.

While I could afford the initial cost of the EVO, I could not deal with the extra 8 grand a year my insurance would go up over the RA. So really, that is what sealed the deal to get the RA.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:14 AM

Evo are over priced.
I have taken on Evo 8 on 1/4mile & won, stock RA with Evo IX bov & just a Razorlab/Bryan@GST tune

I have beat Evo 8 on AutoX by a few seconds, basically stock RA with Evo X FMIC.
Wish I didnt have to associate my RA with Evo(Ego) parts but its the cheapest effective mod. I even came 1 sec faster than Shelby Cobra.

Evo 8 running circle around RA? only if it was in park.
Suspension on stock RA hanging with Evo 8 9 & x on Mt runs.
Evo 9 with 360whp on 275 KDWs vs 220whp RA on 225 stock Yoko,
I powerslide all the turns within 1ft from his bumper. Only time evo 9 pulls away is on straight-a-ways.

Yes, Brakes sucks, if you know how to transfer weight & downshift breaking is not that bad.
I try not to use much brakes. Brembo brakes makes evo better.
NFSLancer came along & made some custom brake works that will be in the same level as fq400.
So brembo shembo...

Any car can be made to beat any other car.
The point is how much are you willing to pay?

Lack of aftermarket support might make most ricer turn their back on RA.
What is the point of modding/tuning if you buy something of the box?
Or trying to compare higher model with higher price tag to underdog.

I root for the underdog, much more interesting to see underdog beat bigger dog.

AYC is an advantage but if you can drive you dont need it. Evo X also weighs 200lbs more.

In the end, its all matter of preference.

When you level the playing field, evo cost more because it comes with more features, power, performance etc.
if you take the cost difference & take half of the cost into RA performance, you will have one hell of a RA that is capable of whatever the driver is capable of.

Last edited by MTZL; Jul 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by MTZL

Evo 8 running circle around RA? only if it was in park.
Suspension on stock RA hanging with Evo 8 9 & x on Mt runs.
Evo 9 with 360whp on 275 KDWs vs 220whp RA on 225 stock Yoko,
I powerslide all the turns within 1ft from his bumper. Only time evo 9 pulls away is on straight-a-ways.
I guarantee you take the same driver in both cars, even 100% stock and the Evo 8/9/10 will run circles around the RA.

I own both, that gives me the right to say that.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:30 AM

hahaha, touche... Im not arguing with you.

I'd say your RA400 SB will do figure 8 around an stock evo 8.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MTZL
hahaha, touche... Im not arguing with you.

I'd say your RA400 SB will do figure 8 around an stock evo 8.
No, it still handles like crap compared.

The RA needs more rubber and negative camber to really handle anywhere close to the Evo chassis.

The RA SB is also carrying around approx 100lbs more then the RA sedan.

If they made a Evo 10 hatch, I'd have that instead with no thinking involved.

Don't get me wrong though, I do love my RA SB. It's a great car.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

At $10 a gallon I would not want a RA/EVO to Daily Drive. With $10/gal it would cost me $10,000 a year for gas for how much I drive (20k a year).

For my driving, I always averaged 22mpg in the RA stock and EVO stock. When I had the evo 8 and it had radical cams and 1k idle. I would only get 16-17mpg. The thing the eats the gas the most is the AWD & TURBO and now with the RA add weight as another factor of wasting gas.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
At $10 a gallon I would not want a RA/EVO to Daily Drive. With $10/gal it would cost me $10,000 a year for gas for how much I drive (20k a year).

For my driving, I always averaged 22mpg in the RA stock and EVO stock. When I had the evo 8 and it had radical cams and 1k idle. I would only get 16-17mpg. The thing the eats the gas the most is the AWD & TURBO and now with the RA add weight as another factor of wasting gas.
Where are you that you are paying $10/gallon for gas?

I use E85 at current $3.21/gallon in both my Evo 8 and my RA and get better MPG then 16-17mpg
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:11 PM

As an ex-ralliart owner...I can say there are very few pros to owning a ralliart over the Evo. Gas mileage sucks on both cars lol. S-AWC is worth the $5k difference alone. Yes, the Evo has a smaller trunk but that's because the battery is already located there. I will say this, the SST is more convenient for daily driving over a GSR (5-speed).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I guarantee you take the same driver in both cars, even 100% stock and the Evo 8/9/10 will run circles around the RA.

I own both, that gives me the right to say that.
Do you think the 8 handles better than the 10? It looks like it is about 400lbs lighter.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ralliartblitz
Do you think the 8 handles better than the 10? It looks like it is about 400lbs lighter.
8/9 have the weight and power advantage. 10 has the chassis and drivetrain advantage.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr1fter
As an ex-ralliart owner...I can say there are very few pros to owning a ralliart over the Evo. Gas mileage sucks on both cars lol. S-AWC is worth the $5k difference alone. Yes, the Evo has a smaller trunk but that's because the battery is already located there. I will say this, the SST is more convenient for daily driving over a GSR (5-speed).
Ah...if it was just the price difference of the car, I would agree with you. Insurance is a ***** on EVOs unless your over 30 and have a clean record...check on the first...oh so not on the second :P .

Playing around with progressive, RA is 3.2 grand to insure with 2 tickets and using me for personal info. EVO is 6 grand. And that's just two plain old mild speed limit violation tickets. Have one for over 100 MPH? Accident? More then two little violations? Yeah then the insurance cost will be excessive.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Holy crap at your insurance costs!!

Insuring both my Evo *and* my RA is less then what you where quoted to *just insure your RA*.

haha
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdNapalm

Playing around with progressive, RA is 3.2 grand to insure with 2 tickets and using me for personal info. EVO is 6 grand. And that's just two plain old mild speed limit violation tickets. Have one for over 100 MPH? Accident? More then two little violations? Yeah then the insurance cost will be excessive.
Insurance is not that expensive for me on the Evo 9, but then again I am on my parents plan (21 years old) so that most likely helps me out big time. I have one speeding ticket which was over 100mph but that has been over 3 years ago now and has come off my insurance.

I've been in the RA and man was is comfy, it still felt like a quick car but a few minutes later I hopped into my evo and it felt much stiffer but much funner to drive.

Quick Reply: What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?