Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Claire22cia
The RA does a wide range of things quite well.
Go away spammer.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well in my case the ralliart is wife approved because of the trunk space and the Auto Trans.

I tried to make her change her mind but she hates the lack of space in the trunk in the EVO.

I hope that they fix that for the next generation if it comes out.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had a car that was "track ready" ( Lotus Elise ) prior to purchasing, I opted for the cheaper and less "damaging" ride of the RA, since I would hopefully be putting a 100,000 miles on it, and maybe 200 on a track.

I'm at 92,000 now and I've not even autocrossed it, so I think I made the right decision.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:49 PM

Ill say the same thing which is obvious among all threads similar to this one..

EVO - Performance machine, awesome power and all round performance
RA - More of a daily driver, more comfort, more than enough performance to enjoy however not as much as the evo

If you want an evo get one, dont waste your time jumping coz you know in your head it will never be an evo.

Ive had an RA for a few months now and love it, evo was never an option for me as i need it to get to work in the city etc.. having tested both its more comfortable to drive slowly, but has more than enough power for what i need which is nice to have .

PROS
EVO - performance, thrills and exitement
RA - Comfortability, affordability, cheaper to run and insure
Old May 17, 2013, 01:52 PM

Great stuff in here and its interesting to see different perspectives on the issues. I am one for being responsible most of the time but like a little speed here and there and the car world has always been where iv made a ton of friends and just good times. Iv drive Evo's and i already knew what the fuss was about. The Evo is truly a car that deserves a lot bragging rights. When i finished school i bought an Lancer ES it was affordable and i wasnt sure how the job market was going to go i felt like i made a good decision and i ended up modding it just for kicks in my spare time. So i bypassed the Evo X

Now years later with a decent job at Mercedes ( co workers make fun of me for not driving MB when i easily can now lol) i decided to sell my Lancer and i looked at getting an Evo but then i started thinking i want a house so once again i gave up the Evo to be responsibly but i still missed having boost so i bought the RA after speaking with a couple of guys who already own them. I can say that the only thing i have been disappointed with is the brakes which can be overcome with some better pads.

Over all sometimes in life you need to make a compromise if you have room for a Evo in your life and can afford the amount of money it takes to keep them going i say go for it i highly doubt anyone will be disappointed with the power and handling of any Evo for that matter. But dont discount the RA its a fun car to drive and has enough power to make your DD experience pleasant i have no complaints. The RA is really in a class of its own within Mitsu and a lot of people dont know that fact. It may take a little getting use to drive it in Eco mode i hardly ever do i drive it in Sport M 99.9% of the time.

Eventually i will probably get an Evo but it will most likely be an older one and i will keep my RA for DD and have my house to work on both if i so chose. Everyones has to do whats right for them. Its all well and good to get an Evo only to realize that you cant afford it down the road. I have seen a ton of people lately selling their Evo's and going into cheaper cars and i can only assume the price of the upkeep and modding drains their wallets.

Going fast is fun but no one wants to go fast into the poor house. I dont regret my decision nor the decision to put a little more money into it for a little more speed and some nice aesthetic parts.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:19 AM

Buying a Ralliart when you really want an Evo is like going out with a girl because you really wanted to hook up with her hot sister. If you date the girl for her own merits, you are going to have a good time. However, if you date her so you can pretend you are dating her hot sister, you are setting yourself up for trouble.

With that being said, it's probably worth it nowadays to just get the GSR over the Ralliart. When I bought my Ralliart, they have just come out, no one knew about the car and the dealership has no idea how to sell the thing. They sold it to me for $23,434 after taxes and fees with extended warranty; essentially the price of an upgraded GTS. When my friend and I went in to get a ’13 Ralliart, the dealership knew what they were doing and they won’t go below $28,000 for a base model before fees and taxes. I even showed them the receipt for my car from the same dealership. Their response is that people know about the Ralliart now and that inventory turnover ratio is much better so the incentive to drop the price is gone. As a result, the price gap difference between a GSR and a Ralliart is close to being nonexistent.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinestra
I can say that the only thing i have been disappointed with is the brakes which can be overcome with some better pads.
The Ralliart is a very nice car with sub-par tires. Changing them makes a bigger difference than any mods to the otherwise acceptable brakes. Sure, it's far from the Brembos on the Evo in terms of brake fade, so it's not all that great for aggressive track triving, but it will stop well in a pinch with some proper rubber.

As far as my opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of the Ralliart and Evo X, for me the Ralliart is just right, so I'm very glad I got one. The Evo X would be good for extra bragging rights for people who care about that sort of stuff, but it has some very poor design decisions in terms of usability, especially the trunk. If the STI can have a ton of trunk space and folding seats with comparable performance, the Evo X has no excuse for putting silly stuff like the washer fluid in the back (I've heard some salespeople claim that it's for "weight distribution", which is just crazy talk; it's just poor design). I can easily afford an Evo X, but trunk space alone breaks the deal for me despite the slight (and easily fixed) performance disadvantage of the Ralliart. Couldn't care less about the AYC diff on the Evo either, a rear mechanical diff is more than enough.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:59 PM

Get a Skoda Yeti
Old Jun 2, 2013, 01:48 PM

thx

Great info in this thread!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlDim
The Ralliart is a very nice car with sub-par tires. Changing them makes a bigger difference than any mods to the otherwise acceptable brakes. Sure, it's far from the Brembos on the Evo in terms of brake fade, so it's not all that great for aggressive track triving, but it will stop well in a pinch with some proper rubber.

As far as my opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of the Ralliart and Evo X, for me the Ralliart is just right, so I'm very glad I got one. The Evo X would be good for extra bragging rights for people who care about that sort of stuff, but it has some very poor design decisions in terms of usability, especially the trunk. If the STI can have a ton of trunk space and folding seats with comparable performance, the Evo X has no excuse for putting silly stuff like the washer fluid in the back (I've heard some salespeople claim that it's for "weight distribution", which is just crazy talk; it's just poor design). I can easily afford an Evo X, but trunk space alone breaks the deal for me despite the slight (and easily fixed) performance disadvantage of the Ralliart. Couldn't care less about the AYC diff on the Evo either, a rear mechanical diff is more than enough.
The evo 8 and 9 also have the washer reservoir in the trunk. Probably has to do with the limited room in the engine bay. Could be weight distribution too...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
The evo 8 and 9 also have the washer reservoir in the trunk. Probably has to do with the limited room in the engine bay. Could be weight distribution too...
Absolutely. The old WRX STI didn't have folding seats either, but Subaru actually fixed that design flaw, while Mitsubishi didn't care to. Actually I can't think of a single direct competitor to the Evo X that doesn't offer more space. Audi S4, Golf R, BMW 335, you name it. The funny thing is, even with the battery and washer fluid in the back, the Evo X still has worse weight distribution than the supercharged, 6-cylinder S4. I'm sure Mitsubishi's engineers could have gotten around the problem as well if they actually bothered. I'm also sure that they wouldn't have lost so much of their sports car market share if they had made a product that offers a bit of practicality on top of the awesome performance. I'd buy an Evo X in a heartbeat if that was the case. I have only one car, so it needs to be easy enough to live with as a daily driver while still putting a big smile on my face while I'm driving it.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Ralliart:

- tcsst on the cheap
- boost comes early, more useable as a DD
- cheaper to maintain, cheaper insurance
- better fuel economy
- simpler rear end, cheaper repairs
- trunk space

Evo:

- better brakes and tires