Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?

Old May 5, 2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?

Well I'm in the market for a new car, and I want to get a Mitsubishi with AWD. As far as I can tell from the specifications on the official site, the evo and ralliart get the same MPG (which is pretty important to me) at 17/23 MPG. Wonder if the 2012 or 2013 AWD models will be more efficient? I'm moving to a country where gas costs $10 per gallon but the terrain is kinda mountainous and difficult when it snows in winter.

Other than saving about 5k, what're the incentives to get a ralliart over an evo? I'd appreciate any input at all from you all about it.

cheers

Last edited by tomatochucker; May 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tomatochucker
Well I'm in the market for a new car, and I want to get a Mitsubishi with AWD. As far as I can tell from the specifications on the official site, the evo and ralliart get the same MPG (which is pretty important to me) at 17/23 MPG. Wonder if the 2012 or 2013 AWD models will be more efficient? I'm moving to a country where gas costs $10 per gallon but the terrain is kinda mountainous and difficult when it snows in winter.

Other than saving about 5k, what're the incentives to get a ralliart over an evo? I'd appreciate any input at all from you all about it.

cheers
For me, the hatchback body shape was one of the main pluses. Have wife, kids, and the need to cart stuff about... so the "Sportback" fold-down rear seat and wide-open hatch is brilliant at this stage my life.

The RA does a wide range of things quite well. Late last month, I had a week like this:

Thursday: Track day afternoon.
Friday: Commute to work on congested roads.
Saturday: Three runs to the waste/recycling centre, with car stuffed full of junk from the shed.
Sunday: Took family out for a long drive to a park area in the hills.

Yes, some cars at the track were lighter and handled better. Yes, some heavy-haulage vehicles could have done 1-2 tip runs instead of taking 3. But the RA did it all without feeling like the "wrong" car for any one situation.

Can't speak for the "sedan" shape, but the hatch-style model is really quite versatile.

Rich
Old May 6, 2011, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

The RA has more trunk space and, if you're not driving aggressively, can get roughly 28 mpg highway. Cheaper to insure, too.
Old May 6, 2011, 04:58 AM

RA is obviously cheaper to purchase and insure. It also has less power than the EVO, so it depends on how much power you're looking for your car to have. There are a few styling differences. The EVO comes with a metal BOV where the RA comes with a plastic BOV. RA also has a smaller turbo and intercooler. Suspension and handling are also better with the EVO. Biggest thing that got me to get the RA is it was cheaper to buy and get insurance on it. Which left me with some extra money to play around with mods. Like anything else it will be up to what things you desire more. Most of us RA owners will tell you RA because of the reasons why we bought it, as most EVO owners will tell you to get the Evo because the value that they percieved the EVO as was higher than the RA.
Old May 6, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The way I see it, if you are going to leave it stock get the RA> The moment the speed bug gets you and you want to modify get the Evo X, I would recommend the 5 Speed and then later down the road upgrade the final drive. If you can look for an Evo IX, older but much cheaper now or an 08 X.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alien Visitor
The RA has more trunk space and, if you're not driving aggressively, can get roughly 28 mpg highway. Cheaper to insure, too.
that has yet to be seen from my point of view
Old May 6, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

If your looking for a strict SST tranny, the RA is a budget MR without any first gear limitations, but no launch control.

Look to the Evo more for the brakes and handling... the power difference is big, but that can be fixed with a free tune with the RA. What the tune can't add, is the AYC and Brembos
Old May 6, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

refer to my posts (and others) in this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-ralliart.html

overall, I think you should only buy an Evo if you can comfortably afford and without compromises. The Evo is not worth eating Ramen for the next 5+ years - figuratively (or literally) speaking
Old May 6, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by captobvious75
If your looking for a strict SST tranny, the RA is a budget MR without any first gear limitations, but no launch control.

Look to the Evo more for the brakes and handling... the power difference is big, but that can be fixed with a free tune with the RA. What the tune can't add, is the AYC and Brembos
And the "first gear limitations" can be fixed with a "free tune" too. Captain Obvious...
Old May 6, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
And the "first gear limitations" can be fixed with a "free tune" too. Captain Obvious...
Didn't know that! Cool
Old May 6, 2011, 01:05 PM

Thanks guys, really great responses and I've also been reading the same topic Exyia provided a link to.

It's such a hard choice to make between the RA and Evo, all the owners of either model seem to be equally happy with their decisions too. I've been hearing some good things about the sportback as well. I'm waiting on the 2012 models to score one though so I still have some time to deliberate, but it's good to know people feel like they're getting their money's worth with the AWD models.

cheers
Old May 6, 2011, 01:39 PM

If you want a family orientated/weekender car then its the RA. For a second car / Single person go the EVO.

Last edited by Lourance; May 6, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

If money isn't an option just get the Evo. If you want to save some and still have a fast fun ride go with the RA. I came from a 350z convertible and before that an s2000. I don't regret getting the RA one bit. With a tune and a couple mods the RA is faster than the Z and I can drive it in the winter just fine too.
Old May 6, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomatochucker
I'm moving to a country where gas costs $10 per gallon but the terrain is kinda mountainous and difficult when it snows in winter.
Unless you've got money to burn(literally and figuratively), forget it and look for a hybrid all-wheel drive vehicle that will get much better fuel economy than the Ralliart or Evo.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
Unless you've got money to burn(literally and figuratively), forget it and look for a hybrid all-wheel drive vehicle that will get much better fuel economy than the Ralliart or Evo.
Yeah, I was gonna say.... sounds more like you (the OP) need a hybrid suv rather than an awd sports car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What're the pros/cons of buying a ralliart over an entry-level evo?