Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mod friendly southern Ontario dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod friendly southern Ontario dealerships?

Hey guys just wondering what experience you guys have had with dealerships in southern Ontario(Preferrably anyone from Burlington, even London or Cambridge area), and which are mod friendly? Like which won't void you're warranty or deny major service work if you have a catback or some intercooler piping etc. Normally I don't bother with warranties and just do most of the work myself, but with a $12k transmission not such a good idea.
Searched for other threads but most of the info seems a bit outdated.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:33 AM

Nod friendly lol...stupid iPhone spell correction.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

It doesn't matter how good the dealership is, for expensive work they have to get Mitsu to approve

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/evo_warranty.jpg
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed. I work for Mitsu in Sudbury ON, and we don't get to say who does and who doesn't get warranty work for anything major. Mitsu corporate makes those decisions after reviewing the claim.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:47 AM

So basically according to that they could void my warranty if I have any mods. Even if I put coilovers on they would deny me a new transmission if it failed? Or just specific areas?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:56 AM

Sudz have seen people get denied major work for modifications that have nothing to do with a part that failed?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ParadigmOne
Sudz have seen people get denied major work for modifications that have nothing to do with a part that failed?
They can only deny a warranty if the mod is proven to be involved with the failure of the part. For example, if you have your ECU reflashed, you may have trouble getting warranty work for engine or transmission issues. Coilovers don't affect that part of the warranty.

We haven't had any warranty issues so far with modified Mitsus. We've actually only had a few warranty claims in total. I have heard of some cars being denied warranty repairs in southern Ontario (I actually talked to our service rep about exactly that earlier this week).
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

However, the mods have to directly impact the failed part for it to deny you warranty. If you get a new exhaust and your headlights melt, I don't think they will deny you if the headlight was defective.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:19 AM

Ok thanks sudz, good to have an inside man! The dealership I bought my RA at said I could do mods but to return it to stock everytime I brought it in for an oil change, maintenance, etc. Would be a pain the **** to put stock suspension back in for an oil change or something like that. Guess I'll leave the ecu and other power mods till the warranty is up as I'll be on my own then anyway. I can deal with taking out a catback or something cause I could see how they could make an argument for engine or transmission fail from that.

Last edited by ParadigmOne; Jun 4, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

If you're dealing with a good dealership, you can actually go in for maintenance without removing your mods. We have a few modded cars that come in for maintenance all the time and we don't document the mods unless it's a warranty thing. The mechanic MUST document all mods on a major warranty issue, so for something like that pull your mods off.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:33 AM

Guess I'll have to call around or make some trips to see which ones are good with mods. Your dealership sounds good but it would be a far drive for me to Sudbury lol. Unless anybody can chime in with any?

Last edited by ParadigmOne; Jun 4, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

Fluiid changes

Hey guys,
Just took the car in at it's 50,000 k mileage to get an oil change done and the service guy tells me that I need a whack load of different fluids changes at my scheduled 48,000 k service. It involves the sst fluid, transfer case, and the acd system. It's 1,400 dollars??????? Does that sound right. it has to be done EVERY 48,000 k or so. Apparently at the 96k mark the Fluids have to be changed again plus the spark plugs as well. The service guys was a bit smurky about it while explaining it to me.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

They're not wrong, it is time for a fluid change. If you want, you can do at least some of this yourself. There is a DIY on the forum showing how to do this for the SST, but be warned, the fluid + filter costs over $400. The transfer case and acd fluid is something I'd let my mechanic change, but only because I've never done that before.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shabsralliart
Hey guys,
Just took the car in at it's 50,000 k mileage to get an oil change done and the service guy tells me that I need a whack load of different fluids changes at my scheduled 48,000 k service. It involves the sst fluid, transfer case, and the acd system. It's 1,400 dollars??????? Does that sound right. it has to be done EVERY 48,000 k or so. Apparently at the 96k mark the Fluids have to be changed again plus the spark plugs as well. The service guys was a bit smurky about it while explaining it to me.
$1400!!! is way to much i got my 50k service sept last year and it only cost me $725. I didn't get the full service as i didn't need tire rotation or oil change, i just got the tranny and difs done. The other stuff is easy to do by urself.