Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why is the fuel economy for the Ralliart so poor?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
x3 Because Race Car

"If fuel economy was important - why didn't OP do more research?"

I get same/similar fuel economy as my 350Z. And NOBODY buys a Z for the fuel economy - jus' sayin'...

It is all about your requirements, priorities, and the trades you make to arrive at a logical decision.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right Veronica. This isn't a car one should buy looking for great fuel economy numbers. I was more just wondering how/why it stacked up against a car with more hp and better fuel economy.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

And a fair question. But also keep vehicle cost a factor as well. The key is how much engineering investment and component selection.

For Performance/$ the RA is teh winnah! (That is why I selected it after a pretty rigorous requirement and assessment process)

If you expand the requirements to Performance/Economy/$ you might get a different answer. Always factor - the additional cost of getting better economy versus value of money saved (less gas purchased).
Old Feb 17, 2016, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lets see how well it does in central florida planes my 2015 RA.
In PR I was in the very low 20s MPGs with the old RA.

I still on half of my first gas tank.

Ninja Update 2-23-2016
Two last tanks did high 21s. Measured at the pump.

After many years driving a torqueless civic is very hard to avoid the pulls on the RA.

Last edited by SharkyPR; Feb 23, 2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old May 9, 2016, 09:08 AM

i get about 18 city and 25 highway with some spirited driving in city lol
Old May 9, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Slowly going up. Miss the high 20s of the SI but I dont miss the torqueless feeling.
Old May 10, 2016, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I've had my '10 RASB since July 2011. After 205 fuel-ups (99% at Chevron), 53,026.1 miles and 2,198.739 gallons purchased, I have an overall average of 24.1165 miles per gallon. So says my spreadsheet.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 09:55 AM

I know this is a rather old thread, but I seem to get pretty decent numbers according to the estimations done by the car. If I am not paying attention and casually driving, I get around 25mpg. If I pay attention and really try to get the best MPG I can, I actually do quite well.

I normally use manual/sport mode, and make by shift points just after 2500 RPM, very light throttle the entire time, mostly cruising in 6th. The speed limit is 55 MPH most of the way which is a great speed for gas mileage with this car.

It all depends on the light system too. Today was a good day, with 10 stop lights, I had green lights all the way to work with one exception. The best results I had, I hit no lights at all and was able to cruise non-stop the whole way to work.

These two were both this morning on my commute to work. The first showing my mileage at the Safeway by my work, and the second showing my highest MPG on the 26.6 mile trip from my home to work.

This is the best I have been able to get with my Ralliart SB, again at the Safeway down the road from my work (I stop there a lot for coffee).

Old Nov 18, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yep. But I can't help me'sef from dropping tha' hamma' just to spool!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Veronica
Yep. But I can't help me'sef from dropping tha' hamma' just to spool!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1999VR-4EVO
I know this is a rather old thread, but I seem to get pretty decent numbers according to the estimations done by the car. If I am not paying attention and casually driving, I get around 25mpg. If I pay attention and really try to get the best MPG I can, I actually do quite well.

I normally use manual/sport mode, and make by shift points just after 2500 RPM, very light throttle the entire time, mostly cruising in 6th. The speed limit is 55 MPH most of the way which is a great speed for gas mileage with this car.

It all depends on the light system too. Today was a good day, with 10 stop lights, I had green lights all the way to work with one exception. The best results I had, I hit no lights at all and was able to cruise non-stop the whole way to work.

These two were both this morning on my commute to work. The first showing my mileage at the Safeway by my work, and the second showing my highest MPG on the 26.6 mile trip from my home to work.

This is the best I have been able to get with my Ralliart SB, again at the Safeway down the road from my work (I stop there a lot for coffee).

That is cool but how those numbers translate to the pump?

(Total miles driven on the current tank) / (gallons to fill it up again)
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by SharkyPR
That is cool but how those numbers translate to the pump?

(Total miles driven on the current tank) / (gallons to fill it up again)
The way home is completely opposite, so it doesn't translate too well. The drive home is bad for gas mileage due to heavy traffic and the timing for the lights cycles change so I hit at least 5 lights. Not to mention picking my daughter up at the in laws who live on a sizeable hill. I got 23.63 overall.

I wish I could isolate my drive to work in the morning and see how accurate it is. I guess I can fillthe car up. Stop at the gas station by the office and then fill it up again. Just to see if the car is accurate or not.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that car tuned? If it is leaned out maybe you could see that mpg that high, but I never hit more than 25 or 26 with strict highway driving with my bone stock setup.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
Is that car tuned? If it is leaned out maybe you could see that mpg that high, but I never hit more than 25 or 26 with strict highway driving with my bone stock setup.

haha stock I was averaging 18 a gallon lol...but warming up in the winter doesn't help though
Old Dec 6, 2016, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
A proper tune will actually help your fuel economy tremendously...until you remember how much more fun it makes your skinny pedal...

Quick Reply: Why is the fuel economy for the Ralliart so poor?