Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I really want an EVO, should I just get a Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definately your wording - comes across as an attack on Ralliarts and that Evo's are the best (for the extra $ they'd damn well want to be) rather than an informed critique of the differences between the vehicles.

The RA is a great car, but yes it's not an Evo. It's also not an S5, M3 or AMG either but that doesn't make it any less of a decent fast fun car. I think a lot of issues come about because people see the RA as a de-tuned Evo, whereas I see it more as a top of the line Lancer. The Evo is a different car all together..

Last edited by bunnishiwa; Dec 24, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: .
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
If they ever make an X with sportback body (which they won't), I'll be the first to buy it, lol.

Pigs will fly first...

Rich
Word
Over the last couple years, I've thought several times of trading in for an MR/SE.
But then I think of:
a)how far gone I am on this car
and about moding the car, your either a mod'er or not no matter which car you get your gonna spend money to make it quicker. might as well save money on the car so you can mod it
yep, $8-10 for a comparably equipped MR is no little thing. Sure you can compare a used base GSR to a fully loaded RASB on a price point; but they all complain about the interior, I love my interior (have had several X owners in the car who all start off with "dude this car is really nice on the inside?!?!"; let's be honest, a base GSR is complete crap inside )

b)I mention something to anyone who know's me and they all say "I love your Sportback, I've been trying to convince my wife/girlfriend to get one so I can own both"

Then I look at my car, which is exactly how I want it (even though I wish we had better after market support for certain parts), and think of how much it would cost me to re-create it as an Evo

In the end I LOVE my car, and when I upgrade one day, it will be to a new make/model and I hope to keep the RASB as a permanent weekend toy. The one thing that could change this is if I did something so stupid as to ruin the car and make it inoperable (totally possible, just ask Rich, ha!)

Last edited by sstevojr; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
If they ever make an X with sportback body (which they won't), I'll be the first to buy it, lol.

Pigs will fly first...

Rich
Haha, this man speaketh the truth

The sportback is where it's at - it is so practical for a dd. I went into the RA with my eyes wide open and enjoyed the path less trodden

Last edited by billyboy1; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bunnishiwa
Definately your wording - comes across as an attack on Ralliarts and that Evo's are the best (for the extra $ they'd damn well want to be) rather than an informed critique of the differences between the vehicles.

The RA is a great car, but yes it's not an Evo. It's also not an S5, M3 or AMG either but that doesn't make it any less of a decent fast fun car. I think a lot of issues come about because people see the RA as a de-tuned Evo, whereas I see it more as a top of the line Lancer. The Evo is a different car all together..
^ YES!!! This is the case that new buyers seem to never be aware of. That's what I'm trying to get across.

Even if you look up professional reviews, they put the EVO in as a benchmark and then thrash the RA for not being exactly like it.

One of the main thing I absolutely LOVE about the RA is that it's so under-rated and most major performance companies outright ignored trying to provide a purchase and go fast type of mod.

Who has been responsible for most of the RA's leaps in performance? It's been mostly the determined owners here in EVO M:

Brian's GST Basemaps, Boost Pill, Rich's tweaking of the maps, figuring out how to get the EVO MR TCU software into our cars...

It's a car earning it's reputation from NOTHING without riding the coat tails of Rally wins of the past. <- Buyers better be prepared for that... and if that aspect gets you excited, as it does me... then by all means... the RA is for you.

EVO vs RA threads will never get this deep into it.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:48 PM

Evo FTW!! Don't settle for less
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SLVRcarbonEVO8
Evo FTW!! Don't settle for less

Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bunnishiwa
I think a lot of issues come about because people see the RA as a de-tuned Evo, whereas I see it more as a top of the line Lancer. The Evo is a different car all together..
I agree with you point. Something that most people ignored is that RA is actually an upgrade from a basic Lancer. This why you can find a lot of different between RA and EVO. In comparison, WRX is the downgrade of STI. They have more in common especially for the newest model.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll admit it. I like my RA but I need more speed/performance and dont want to get into the whole modding thing right now so I'm planning on upgrading to a X sometime next year....
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinRR
I think that if someone really want an EVO, they should get an EVO and don't settle for anything less. I'm not knocking the Ralliart because I love mine. I did not buy it to build a bad a** race car. I bought it because it pretty quick and fun to drive as a DD. But anyways there no point in settling for 2nd best especially if your financing the car. I'm sure as hell don't want to be making payment on a car I don't really want. .
This. There's is absolutely nothing wrong with the RA but if you really want an Evo, and can afford an Evo, buying a RA is a bad idea.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:41 PM

I love my Ralliart, but:

If you want the Evolution, then buy the Evolution not a Ralliart.
If you want the STI, then buy the STI, not a WRX.
If you want the 60" television, then buy the 60" television, not a 42" television.

You may learn to live with what you pick, but you'll always have that "what if" thought running through the back of your mind. If your means allow for it, I say you're best off getting what you really want.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'm one of he rare few that actually really wanted an RA... I loved how the sportback was so rare and unheard of by 99% of the car enthusiast community. When I go to meets all I hear is people say "what is that?" I also get some people derisively making mention that the car is not an evo, to which I actually appreciate the car's sleeper factor.

Even if someone has their heart set on an evo, I don't see the RA route to be much of a compromise at all. A stage 1 flash is about as powerful as a stock evo X. A stage 2 flash is about as powerful as a stage 1 evo X. Modest suspension upgrades can bring the RA in line with a stock evo handling-wise. My own RA significantly outperforms a stock evo X and I've spent much less between initial cost and insurance than buying an evo. So many people drive stock evo Xs when there is such a large cost differential to buying a RA and lightly modding it. The cars are so close performance-wise that I think where most of the regret of not getting an evo comes from is having an inferiority complex of knowing that they technically have something perceived as less than an evo. If a person is secure in themselves and their choice, and doesn't let the perceptions of others get in the way of their own happiness, then I don't see how someone could regret that choice.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The Ralliart was not designed to have Evo level performance for rather obvious reasons. Yes you can modify a Ralliart to be fast, but you can do the same to an Evo. The Ralliart vs. Evo debate is shockingly similar to the WRX vs. STI debate.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Accursed
I do wish the "Ralliart" sticker stood out a bit more, you can barely notice it under the huge (Not really an Evo) LANCER logo.

What if the Evolution logo was just a tiny sticker under a Lancer logo?

As a proud RA owner I just wish Mitsubishi did more to distinguish this model as they do the Evo.
Just debadge the car
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

I actually would not complain about that. The very first successful Mitsubishi rally car was just a Lancer. Evo came out later under the Lancer series. Plus the fact that a base Lancer look nicer than any other cars in the same class 5 years ago, even better than Impreza. I am only talking about the exterior!!!

Last edited by mitlan; Jan 10, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:42 PM

I like my RA as well... I had a Nismo 350Z that I was trading in to get an Evo X (cause I needed more trunk space). I can easily afford the X, but in my line of work I needed a bigger trunk with laydown back seats. I work for a media company so I do a lot of photography and filming... So I have giant tripods, stands, power generators, lens bags, etc.. That was the point of trading in my Z. But as fun and awesome as the X was I really needed to have the laydown backseats. And it didn't help that the X's trunk was just as small as the Z's trunk.

It was a hard decision... either bite the bullet and try to "Macgyver" all my equipment into a X, or be practical and get the RA. I wanted to be smart about this one cause I didn't think about the pros and cons when I bought the Z... I just wanted it, so I bought it... and then sold it 2 years later cause I couldn't fit anything into it...

I didn't want to have to go through that problem again, so I slept on it and decided on the RA. I've had my RA for 6 months now and I still have fun driving it. However, I do get teased a lot for having a non-evo, but I don't mind. I enjoy the car and that's all that matters... I can easily fit my gear into it with no problems and have fun driving

Quick Reply: I really want an EVO, should I just get a Ralliart?