Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I really want an EVO, should I just get a Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really want an EVO, should I just get a Ralliart?

Those on the border about getting an RA over an EVO just because of the price, please consider:

The 1 week cycle of the unconditional EVO lover that settled down for an RA:

Day 1: Yay. It's almost an EVO! Goes to every forum he knows, professes his love for the car and defends every critique made against the RA.

Day 2: Why the hell is it slower than an EVO... Maybe if I... (Insert mods here) ultimately mods the car to be faster than a stock EVO X.

Day 3: I don't care if the normal non-mitsubishi versed people can't tell the RA and EVO apart, I'm getting that awesome wanna-be EVO X body kit and sticking an "Evolution" and "MR" on my rear trunk with that epic SSS behemoth of a wing.

Day 4: Filled with regrets and posts pictures up of his "sheep in wolf's clothing" on forums to gain approval only to be ridiculed by people who can still tell that it's not a real EVO.

Day 5: What the hell??? That used GSR is the same price of my new RA!!! Damn you mitsubishi!!!

Day 6: Realizes the overall price of his RA to EVO journey costs almost the same as a new EVO X MR... Starts to imagine of ways to "dispose" of the RA

Day 7: Trades in for an EVO then proceeds to every forum he knows to bad mouth the RA for not performing and looking the same as it's superior track-ready older brother that he should've bought in the first place.

With that said, I've had the pleasure of interacting with a few RA owners that have successfully and reliably modded their cars to either be in the EVO's stock power territory or even beyond and have happily been satisfied with keeping their RA. But I guarantee you...

None of them was bothered even a little bit by the fact that the word "evolution" is absent on their trunk.

This is the biggest problem I see with regretful RA owners. They wanted everything that the EVO offered: the power / performance, aggressive exterior, and the earned respect and admiration from the EVO namesake.

The RA can be modded to give you some of those things you're going to lack in the beginning, while being stock. BUT be real...

The Evolution is the bread winner of the entire Lancer lineup. It's the one car from Mitsubishi that even non enthusiasts know about. And nothing but buying that EVO can give you that.

For me, I think it's wonderful when I get the "Is that an EVO" question and I can say no. I even just leave it at that. I don't bother explaining that it's turbo or it's AWD, or that it looks like an EVO (to the non-enthusiast) from the factory.

Validation by a badge or namesake... Nothing wrong with that. It's just a shame that for a lot of people, it is that one thing that will overshadow a good entry level, AWD, turbo platform that can haul your family, second only to an EVO.

Coming from a satisfied Ralliart owner, I hope I prevented at least one unsatisfied new owner to be with this rant.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:32 AM

I think that if someone really want an EVO, they should get an EVO and don't settle for anything less. I'm not knocking the Ralliart because I love mine. I did not buy it to build a bad a** race car. I bought it because it pretty quick and fun to drive as a DD. But anyways there no point in settling for 2nd best especially if your financing the car. I'm sure as hell don't want to be making payment on a car I don't really want. .
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:17 AM

i love my RA, sure its not an evo but you cant really compare a new car to a used car. apples n oranges. i think if you cant make up your mind about it just get rid of it. love it or leave it.

and about moding the car, your either a mod'er or not no matter which car you get your gonna spend money to make it quicker. might as well save money on the car so you can mod it

Last edited by mirage4g64; Dec 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mirage4g64
i love my RA, sure its not an evo but you cant really compare a new car to a used car. apples n oranges. i think if you cant make up your mind about it just get rid of it. love it or leave it.

and about moding the car, your either a mod'er or not no matter which car you get your gonna spend money to make it quicker. might as well save money on the car so you can mod it
spoken like a true ra owner
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by todd6027
spoken like a true ra owner
spoken like a true Evo owner
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:14 AM

I do wish the "Ralliart" sticker stood out a bit more, you can barely notice it under the huge (Not really an Evo) LANCER logo.

What if the Evolution logo was just a tiny sticker under a Lancer logo?

As a proud RA owner I just wish Mitsubishi did more to distinguish this model as they do the Evo.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by todd6027
spoken like a true Evo owner
ya A typical EVO owner
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

I love my RA. It's not an Evo and it will never be an Evo, but i still love it...enough said lol
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If they ever make an X with sportback body (which they won't), I'll be the first to buy it, lol.

Pigs will fly first...

Rich
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

I know there are actual satisfied customers with the RA who didn't look at the car as a temporary fix until they can get their hands on an EVO. This is more for the influx of new members opening up a can of worms with their first post of:

"Should I get a Ralliart or Evolution."

Then the endless ballet of this "car does that particular aspect of driving better than yours would" and the omnipresent "well if I mod this it will be as fast as yours for half the price" to the end result of threads being locked leaving a bunch of people with their feelings hurt while the OP regrets ever finding evolutionm.net.

These Lancers were made with a natural order:

DE < ES < GT < SE < RALLIART < EVOLUTION

"BUT the Ralliart is a better daily-driver, it's in the EVO realm of power with a boost pill and basemap (thanks Brian and Rich), I bought it for $18k with only 600 miles."

Crap's irrelevant. The Ralliart doesn't need it's owners defending it or justifying it's existence next to an EVO. The simple fact is: RALLIART < EVOLUTION. Even with mods; you start off with a better performing car in the EVO.

1. EVO
2. RALLIART

I don't see anything about the Ralliart that needs defending here.

Pre 2009 that crap looked like:

1. EVO
2. ...WRX... ahem
3. Lancer Ralliart, OZ Rally, and all the rest of the Lancer trims.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:44 AM

What a rubbish thread. If you don't research what you want in a car and decide to drop A$40k on an RA when you wanted an Evo then you're an idiot and deserve to rue your decision.

The RA is $40k, has good acceleration, can have a 20kw power increase for $15 and a flash, can comfortably shoot past the unmodded Evo in power for a <$10000 investment and is a very practical 4 door saloon that serves excellently as a daily driver.

However, spend an extra $30k and you get one of the most awesome rally cars in existence. More power, superb brakes and handling that turns the car on a dime. Also very moddable, it can serve well as a daily but is more at home on a track.

At the end of the day people buy firstly to whst they can afford and secondly for purpose. If you never go near a track is an Evo ever going to reach its true potential? Would be a bit of a waste imo.

Most RA drivers are happy with their cars, just as Evo drivers are happier with theirs

My 10c

Last edited by bunnishiwa; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: spl
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

My whole thread reeks of superiority?

I own a RALLIART.

Just making a point that the EVO is a superior performance car out the box and ultimately trying to prevent a person love-struck on an EVO to "settle down" on an RA.

BECAUSE you shouldn't "settle" for an RA. You should WANT it without having to justify it's existence against the EVO. Look at the Ralliart alone and what it offers. It's an AWD, turbo sedan with a twin clutch tranny (even fun for me to drive when it was stock) which can be a beast with mods a monkey could do (again, thanks to Brian and Rich) / (translation = it's an awesome car).

AND if you can't do that... move on to the EVO because you'll be the next person trading upside down for something you should have bought in the first place.

Bunnishiwa; see how you threw acceleration, pricing, modding, and track performance at me (all truthful points)... That's exactly what all these RA vs EVO threads turn into. Back and forth justification of why one is superior to the other; why one is a stupid purchase, why one is easier or cheaper to get power out of, and so on and so on.

And at the end of it all, I'm always left with the suspicion that the potential EVO or RA buyer:

1. Never researched either of the cars.
2. Never drove either of the cars.
3. Is trolling.
4. Not even reading valid points why one is smarter to buy than the other
5. Is already being magnetically pulled to the "Evolution" brand name

That's all this thread is for...

I think I was a bit naive to think this thread would work; oh well. Let the next EVO vs RA thread commence in the next three weeks from another potential buyer.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roversix
Just making a point that the EVO is a superior performance car out the box and ultimately trying to prevent a person love-struck on an EVO to "settle down" on an RA.

BECAUSE you shouldn't "settle" for an RA. You should WANT it without having to justify it's existence against the EVO.

AND if you can't do that... move on to the EVO because you'll be the next person trading upside down for something you should have bought in the first place.
This is good advice for any potential RA/Evo owner and the path that I took. I settled on a RA and regretted it because I wanted an Evo. Traded RA for Evo and lost in the trade in.

Get the one you want and be happy with your decision.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

roversix: I am confused after reading all your comments. Why don't you just buy an EVO if you like it so much? There is noting wrong with upgrading your car. You should know you will have this feeling the first day you bought your RA. Also, it is meaningless to compare the price of a new car and a used. If you do that, I am pretty sure you will regret buying any cars forever.
When you get a new EVO, you will say that a used BMW is the same price of my new EVO!!!
When you get a new BMW, you will say that a used Porsche is the same price of my new BMW!!!
When you get a new Porsche, you will say that a used Ferrari is the same price of my new Porsche!!!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Good God.. I must be wording my thoughts wrong.

I like my RA. I have no problems with the car and am not thinking of trading for an EVO any time in the future.

The Ralliart is performance enough for my driver type.

I'm simply trying to convey, that when a new person begins a thread of EVO vs RA, it is nothing more than car specs and prices being thrown at one another and ideas of mods that will make both cars as fast as you have the money to dispose of.

Mitlan, what you said is exactly what I'm getting at.

I am not against upgrading any car. I have the boost pill and GST basemaps and am happy with how it is night and day against the stock settings.

This is all I'm saying folks:

Considering a Ralliart when you wanted an EVO will only work out when you only truly care about price point and performance. The RA has that... no question.

BUT your normal buyer who only thought of Mitsubishi because of the EVOLUTION (common guys, stop thinking like a performance enthusiast and think of when you were in highschool and EVO was the only Mitsu you knew) are never going to be satisfied with just the RA because it's not carrying the EVO name.

THAT IS ALL I'M TRYING TO GET AT.

I'm actually pretty happy that people attacked me for this thread. Gives me hope that not all people are in the dark about the RA and see it as the great car that it is.

Quick Reply: I really want an EVO, should I just get a Ralliart?