Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rally Innovations RA Sportback Diffuser - Who wants one

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stundies
Here:-

http://www.atbodykits.com/content/mi...it-abs-plastic - Part No. 9004.

I have emailed them some time ago and they said they would sell just the rear diffuser at a price of £120 (UK Pounds)

I am off for a weekend break in Ayr in May so I might pop in to the company and offer a diffuser up to the bumper.

Wrapped in CF it might look nice
I see these all over ebay... The only thing is its a tiny piece for the center and not a full diffuser replacement like we were looking for...

Originally Posted by robyn402
any updates on this?
I just posted a link to this thread on their Facebook wall and asked for pricing and/or illustrations. Let's see what they say...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by majinfajita
Thread necro....any thoughts about this:
http://gladfab.myshopify.com/collect...-with-hardware

It's technically an s2000 rear diffuser, and it's CHEAP but I am mystified as to how/where to attach the front without fabbing brackets (rather, paying someone to fab them for me)
im thinking the only way we will ever get a functional rear diffuser is to get something like this and custom fit, or going to a shop and getting a diffuser completely custom made...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:02 PM

I'm about to order the hatch spoiler from rallyinovation, but I'm interested on the diffuser for my sportback too! please add my name to the list! 110% support!!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:06 PM

yeah, if its CF

I like it. I would buy if its CF.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ohiodish
I like it. I would buy if its CF.
I'm working on something in carbon fiber that I hope to have ready by east coast MOD and produce for the community. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the rough estimate of the prototype costing?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neogeo64
What's the rough estimate of the prototype costing?
I would like to keep the price below $400. CF is pretty expensive but I think it would be the best material to work with for a piece this size to keep the weight down. I'm designing a fully functional, pretty large piece that I believe should work with the sedan RA as well. If you look behind the stock "diffuser," you'll see that the design is so inefficient and prone to drag... I'm not sure what Mitsu was thinking, haha.

Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

so this will go below the exhaust it looks like.
I was trying to play with designs in my head and while laying under the car. I seems like there are only 2 options, to go above exhaust replacing the existing heat shield.. then down a little to replace the black section of out rear bumper.

The other was to go below the exhaust but this is complicated by all of the different exhaust setups.. some hang lower, dual pipe/single, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

I think to have a true diffuser on these cars, the most functional design would be to mount it below the exhaust area so that air could be channeled throughout the entire width of the underbody of the car and to accommodate a variety of exhausts. A diffuser that mounts below the factory faux diffuser would channel the air away from the inefficient area on the stock "diffuser" that causes drag. I predict an improvement of a couple fractions of a second in the quarter mile is possible with a large functional diffuser that spans the entire width of the car. It would be similar in design to the Varis diffuser on the Evo X but in a better looking design IMO:

Looking forward to finishing this up to get all of your opinions!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you build a diffuser that runs under the exhaust like the pic above I can pretty much guarantee youll sell less because exhausts like the AMS, DC, etc that are large with mufflers at the end will not work with this. I run the AMS single and it hangs quite a bit lower from the bumper than a stock looking dual exhaust. Also If you make a diffuser that runs under both exhaust holes, it is going to look wierd if people have single exhausts. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
If you build a diffuser that runs under the exhaust like the pic above I can pretty much guarantee youll sell less because exhausts like the AMS, DC, etc that are large with mufflers at the end will not work with this. I run the AMS single and it hangs quite a bit lower from the bumper than a stock looking dual exhaust. Also If you make a diffuser that runs under both exhaust holes, it is going to look wierd if people have single exhausts. Just my opinion.
I’m designing this piece with variety of exhausts in mind. The center portion of the diffuser will have a steep slope to accommodate mufflers that sit in the center of the bumper, while there will be plenty of space for single exit exhausts as well. I have the Magnaflow cat-back myself with the large center muffler in the middle and exhaust clearance had been my main concern preventing me from buying a universal aftermarket diffuser. By designing a diffuser that sits below the exhaust area, this allows more flexibility for exhaust clearance (the design will be different from the Varis.) I’m also working on a carbon fiber cover to enhance the appearance of the stock diffuser. I can make this on order to have a filled in exhaust hole if requested.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

I had a rough idea I was going to play around with a year ago but have no time. I hate the stock black section on our bumper and want to replace that whole piece. I used the uk sportback diffuser as a template to make a real diffuser, it would use the existing upper and lower mounting spots (2 drop down behind out black section and are hidden) and replace the heat shield. This could me made of cf or aluminum or both.

Below is a crude design in ms paint.

Name:  RAreardiffuserrough2_zpse17efae5.png
Views: 0
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  RAreardiffuserrough_zps3259b919.png
Views: 0
Size:  5.3 KB

If you started a prototype research fund ..aka paypal donation i'd contribute a little to help. if enough pitched in and got this thing into production it would sell pretty good i think.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for your input and willingness to contribute, though at this stage I don't think it would expedite development. Given the resources I'm equipped with, I think the most feasible design would be a piece that mounts below the factory diffuser. That said, I think it's still possible to have a design that vastly improves the appearance of the rear and delivers a significant improvement to the aerodynamics of the car. This design would also lower the rear a bit, which I think is aesthetically much better as the rear bumper sits way high in the air (much higher than the side skirts and front bumper.) Here is a quick mock up of the design that I'm working with:

Last edited by ever12; Sep 26, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats pretty.... i'm staying tuned for more
Old Oct 9, 2013, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Here's how it came out. It's a fiberglass piece and mounts without the stock diffuser. (The angle with the stock diffuser ended up not being workable.) There were some issues with fitment, namely, the piece is a bit short where it should line up with the wheel well. I ended up using the 7"x7" metal covers that came with my SSP undertray to cover this area up. My apologies that this isn't a better fitting piece. Also, there wasn't any clear place I could mount it at the end so I ended up putting a hose clamp around my exhaust and hooking it up to the end of the diffuser. It's tightened enough that I don't hear any rattling or anything. If anyone is still interested, please note that it would require modification by either yourself or a body shop to make work. I don't see why it couldn't also work for the RA sedan. Don't want to get in trouble here by posting prices so PM me if interested. Some of you might have seen my car at East Coast MOD. Without further ado:

As you can see in the pictures, the 7"x7" plate was used for mounting/covering the empty area. 7"x7" plates can be found in home improvement stores or online. Here is one I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370763885734?lpid=82

Quick Reply: Rally Innovations RA Sportback Diffuser - Who wants one