Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Did anyone do the 25000km service at Mitsubishi Dealer? Is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone do the 25000km service at Mitsubishi Dealer? Is it worth?

Hi,

Did anyone do the 25000km service at Mitsubishi Dealer?
It is so expensive like $700!
This service checks something that I can't do myself.

- Check twin clutch sportronic shift transmission for leaks
(check oil level)
- Inspect ball joints and steering linkage seals for leaks
and damage
- Check reserve tank fluid level for active center
differential
- Check brake hoses for deterioration and leaks
- Inspect suspension for looseness and damage
- Underbody inspection
- Inspect air purifier filter for clogging

Is it worth to do this inspection for the car?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Uhm, no. Not for me. I do it me'sef' with the help of the maint manual and this excellent forum!

And it won't help you at warranty time to have the dealership do it. (IMHO)
Old Dec 20, 2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Uhm, no. Not for me. I do it me'sef' with the help of the maint manual and this excellent forum!

And it won't help you at warranty time to have the dealership do it. (IMHO)
Is it possible to Check twin clutch sportronic shift transmission for leaks yourself?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:29 AM

That's nothing, I was quoted over 1600$ for the 145k service. Changing the transmission oil will cost you about 1000$ alone, if you change the filter. Just an FYI for future reference: I found the OEM tranny filter for 70$ on Ebay, and there is an aftermarket oil (not rated for our cars, but works just the same). There is also no need for flushing the fluids since the Ralliart's SST tranny works like a standard shifter, for the most part. I took me hours of internet research to find all that info, but I ended up paying less than 300$ for the quoted 1000$ work.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:31 AM

In my opinion, if you really care about the car, you can get a different mechanic to inspect it for you. But don't go to a big chain place. Try to find people who specialize in imported japanese cars. There is one here in Edmonton that did a great job, Apex. But since the car is new, that inspection might be worth it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:30 AM

That's a lot of "checking" an "inspecting" for $700.

Read up on here and do it yourself. Learn about your car and save some money.

I'm at 30k (miles, not kmh) and am starting to read on how to do the sst fluid change.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Senvae
That's nothing, I was quoted over 1600$ for the 145k service. Changing the transmission oil will cost you about 1000$ alone, if you change the filter. Just an FYI for future reference: I found the OEM tranny filter for 70$ on Ebay, and there is an aftermarket oil (not rated for our cars, but works just the same). There is also no need for flushing the fluids since the Ralliart's SST tranny works like a standard shifter, for the most part. I took me hours of internet research to find all that info, but I ended up paying less than 300$ for the quoted 1000$ work.
Where did you read that you don't need to flush the fluids? If you think that your sadly mistakened. If your looking for a filter just get a reusable one like the SSP one. That will save you some money down the road. Also the tranny fluid is expensive! I've already changed mine out and I can tell how dirty it was.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Steven_Trujillo
Where did you read that you don't need to flush the fluids? If you think that your sadly mistakened. If your looking for a filter just get a reusable one like the SSP one. That will save you some money down the road. Also the tranny fluid is expensive! I've already changed mine out and I can tell how dirty it was.
I don't remember where exactly, but I read this long winded forum thread about the transmission TC-SST fluid change and there was a large debate about it. How it was concluded is that the SST is essentially a fancy manual transmission. It share a LOT more with Manuals than automatics. In that sense, there is 3 drain plugs for the tranny, meant to drain the fluids from the transmission properly. Like manual transmissions, a flush is not necessary. In fact, the quote Mitsubishi gave me did not contain any labour time for flushing. There was a mechanic in that forum that seemed dead certain that a flush was absolutely not necessary.

Second, there is an actual thread somewhere in EvolutionM where some guy explains how he went about a huge research about the DiaQueen tranny oil part # and how the company that manufacters it, also does trannys for other car manuf. such as the Nissan GTR and Volvo. Some guy in the forum thread implied that he does track with his RA and he uses this Pentosin liquid meant for Audi twin clutch vehicles, which sells for a much more reasonable price. I paid 150$ Can for 8L using a website called German Auto Parts. Others who do racing with Evos have claimed that there is no way in hell anyone pays that premium price for the Diaqueen, and most people use alternatives like this Pentosin. As long as the liquid is designed for twin clutch transmissions, it should be fine. But at least the Pentosin liquid has been tried and tested. I have been running that liquid for about 5k KM now and my transmission still works, even in the brutal Canadian winter cold front.

So you can go ahead and pay 1000$ for your transmission service, but that's the end of that for me. My car is out of warranty now anyways, so I will be using other Twin Clutch liquids so I can change it more often and keep my transmission running in clean liquid.

Luckily, the limited-slip-differential oil is cheap, and Mitsu sold me the stuff for a reasonable price, so that service was cheap and easy.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OE Style Replacement Filter, $36.57
http://kozmicmotorsports.com/product...cement-filter/

And at $36 each, you can change this 6 times by the time you pay for the cheapest "lifetime" filter on the market. At 6 changes, if you are flushing every 30k, that is 180k miles. Who is honeslty keeping the car that long? lol.

Last edited by KozmicMotorSpts; Dec 21, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by KozmicMotorSpts
OE Style Replacement Filter, $36.57
http://kozmicmotorsports.com/product...cement-filter/

And at $36 each, you can change this 6 times by the time you pay for the cheapest "lifetime" filter on the market. At 6 changes, if you are flushing every 30k, that is 180k miles. Who is honeslty keeping the car that long? lol.
You're in the US though, that changes everything. Our prices, especially for car parts, are usually much higher here in Canada. I paid 70$ and it was delivered to me for free. If I order a filter from the US it will cost me shipping.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RA2013
Is it possible to Check twin clutch sportronic shift transmission for leaks yourself?

Fluid level check/leak check:

Safely Jack car/use jack stands.
Remove plastic undertray.
Look up. No wet spots? Leak Check Good!

No leaks? No operating issues? No need to check level...

SRSLY, this what they are charging you for.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're in the US though, that changes everything. Our prices, especially for car parts, are usually much higher here in Canada. I paid 70$ and it was delivered to me for free. If I order a filter from the US it will cost me shipping.

I bet if you buy 6 he will ship it to you for free!