Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Having a wierd problem with my 09 ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a wierd problem with my 09 ralliart

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, I looked at the other sub forums and didn't see one that would fit this question since I don't even know what's causing the issue.

Whenever I start it up after it has been sitting for around 8 or so hours, pretty much a shift at work, a few seconds after it starts it kinda jerks forward and sometimes it is accompanied by a grinding noise. The gears shift fine, nothing else seems to be wrong while driving it, at least I don't notice anything else. It's sitting at 59k miles, I had the transmission fluid changed when it started to do it just out of a hunch and it fixed it for about a month, but then it came back. They used the DiaQueen fluid for that which I read was the right type. I bought the car at 49k miles, so I just started to have all the services done since I had no idea if the previous owner did.

If this is the wrong place for this, I do apologize, I just didn't see any other spot for it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 01:47 PM

Jerks forward like its in gear? Does it feel like a quick clutch grab and release? If that makes sense
Old Jul 21, 2017, 01:58 PM

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the clutch engagement assembly possibly sticking a bit after its been sitting. But I am new to this platform and especially the trans lol so I could be completely wrong. Im sure a more seasoned individual can chime in on this. Or its the starter not retracting correctly after start up. That could be why you get the jerking sensation and the flywheel could be lightly hitting the starter gear causing the grinding noise you hear. Actually now I'm gonna lean more towards the starter acting up. Still just a guess though lol
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:14 PM

Yes, the jerking almost feels like it's engaging as if it's in gear and I just took my foot off the break for a split second. And most of the time the grind comes with it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:01 AM

Have you been keeping up with the trans fluid changes? How many miles are on it? Does the trans slip at all when you are wide open?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 09:41 AM

nvm I answered my own questions re- reading your first post lol. That is a pretty strange issue... especially with the amount of miles you have... did you ever do the tc sst update? I believe the dealerships are supposed to flash the trans over to the new operating software. Im sure this would be easier to diagnose if I knew all of the mechanics inside our trans.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 07:11 PM

Tc sst update? Honestly, this is the first time I have heard of that. What does that do exactly? Is it something I would have to specifically ask for? I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can get it in to get it done, I doubt it had been yet to the car.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 07:45 AM

If I remember correctly its a tsb to fix a few bugs with the trans? They did it to the evo mr as well I believe.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 07:51 AM

Make sure you put the ebrake on before putting the car in park. It takes the load off the gears, and allows them to disengage when you turn the car off. If the gears can't disengage, the dripping power at cold start, is much greater and the clutched can make contact. This is all explained in the TC-SST TSB.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 07:54 AM

Sorry, I meant "gripping" power, lol!In my experience, taking that load off the transmission before going into park, makes everything easier. Especially getting out of park. If there's load on the gears, then it's possible they won't disengage when turning off the car.