Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Moving from RSX Type-S to Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving from RSX Type-S to Ralliart

Been wanting a turbo charged all wheel drive car for a while now. I currently have a 2003 Rsx Type s and I've been considering different options. I've read all the pros and cons for the Ralliart. It sounds silly to ask, but would I be making the right move?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you don't mind the automatic transmission then yes. If You need to row through gears to be happy, No.
The following users liked this post:
RJSX (Feb 15, 2018)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I went from
2006 Civic SI to 2009 RA
Moved from PR to Florida sold the RA on the process
Then in FL bought a 2009 Civic SI Sedan because couldn't find a good deal on a RA until I found a lightly used 2015. The best year to buy a car is the last one before the maker stops making it. Most of the bugs from the earlier years are squashed.

Anyway Civic SI and RSX-S are pretty much the same. So I had been on your boat multiple times.

Pros of going to a RA from a K series:
1) Low end Torque - Pulls really hard from the factory
2) Road Grip during acceleration is amazing thanks to AWD
3) No miss shifts and ultra fast shifting thanks to the Dual Clutch Trans
4) Turbo spool sounds
5) Amazing factory sound system if you get the Rockford Fosgate setup
6) Doesn't consume oil like a K-Series. LOL
7) At least mine gets a lot of attention in the streets. Mitsu is a rare brand in USA and the RA has a very aggressive frontal image.

Cons:
1) Reliability you will be constantly worried that something might break. With the Acura you don't have that stress.
2) Get ready for the costly maintenance. SST oil changes every 30K miles are mandatory and doing it yourself is around $450. Differential oil change are mandatory too. Tires need to have the same thread on all 4 tires. So if one blows up you have to change all four or request the tire seller to shave a bit of thread to match yours to avoid stress on your differentials.
3) At least my custom tuned Civic SI was doing 30mpg on each fill up. The RA is 21 mpgs so you will get a hit on fuel consumption.
4)You will miss the sweet engine sound that a K-Series does when it switched to the High Cam profile (the infamous VTEC). Also 8K redline will be a thing of the past.
5) Height is greater and suspension is softer
6) Trunk Space sucks. Is less than the regular lancer and more than the EVOX.
RJSX (Feb 15, 2018)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 06:15 PM

I thank you both for your responses. I'm willing to give up manual transmission since it can be difficult to drive in traffic up here. I really like having the idea of having the engine of an Evo, yet I can make all the suspension upgrades myself. I will miss my high rpm car, but It can get old. I'm getting a bit older and I don't want the boy racer stigma. I feel the RA is a great all arounder for fun and practicality.

One more thing, If I do get my hands on one, what would be the best steps to take on increasing reliability? I don't drive like a mad man, I let my car warm up, etc. But I do want to do some spirited driving once in a while.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The best answer to that is
Keep the engine stock
No exhaust upgrades
No intake upgrades
No BPV (Blow off Valve) upgrades

Nothing

But with turbo cars even on a stock engine setup you have a greater chances of blowing it than in a N/A setup. So all is about luck and no abuse.

My 2015 has the mods listed in my signature. A week after I bought it I put the GST 93 Oct Map with a Boost Pill, EVOX BPV and K&N drop in filter. 2 years with that setup and zero problems so far. I have a heavy foot and love to feel the push back into the seat very often.

Last edited by SharkyPR; Feb 16, 2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I too had a K20 in a FG2 Civic SI a while back for 6-7 months. If you're looking for a more "grown-up" car the Lancer will be good overall, especially if you're OK with losing the manual. The SST shifts really quick and crisp. And the engines make a lot of down low power to be fun.

If you want to keep it reliable, do all the maintenance and don't skimp out. Especially on the transmission. Proper warm-ups are essential too.

As for the 8k RPM limiter, if you mod it correctly you can have that back. The bone stock 4B11 doesn't mind revving out to 8000 if it has a bigger turbo and supporting mods + tune. The stock turbo will die off long before that, and revving it out just becomes painful. But it can be done in the future. Trunk space isn't the greatest but overall space a lot more than the RSX. They drive nice, are safe, and comfortable even on long road trips. But the mileage does blow lol
RJSX (Feb 21, 2018)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
And if you need plenty of storage space (or removable roof rack) get the Ralliart Sportback
RJSX (Feb 21, 2018)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 09:40 AM

Thanks again everyone for your input, I do appreciate it. For any of my other questions I'll poke around the forum and find the answer.

PS: You guys are a lot more professional than the guys over in CRSX, major thanks for that.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
You're very welcome! But now that you mention it, you gotta post the link. I'm curious what they have to say
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:09 AM

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...402&highlight=
White 02 was probably kidding, but just poking around the FAQ for a bit and they come down hard on newbies.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by RJSX
Thanks again everyone for your input, I do appreciate it. For any of my other questions I'll poke around the forum and find the answer.

PS: You guys are a lot more professional than the guys over in CRSX, major thanks for that.
Haha, I had an RSX and was a member of CRSX. Those guys are dicks. There was always someone with something negative to say, for no reason except just to be an *** and start ****. You'll find everyone on here is very helpful and welcoming.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJSX
Been wanting a turbo charged all wheel drive car for a while now. I currently have a 2003 Rsx Type s and I've been considering different options. I've read all the pros and cons for the Ralliart. It sounds silly to ask, but would I be making the right move?
Don't do it. Get an Evo 8/9 or an Evo X GSR. If you want to be fast you don't want the TC-SST. I sold mine for that specific reason, and ended up in Corvette.

If you must buy a Ralliart, get a Sportback - at least you can haul a bunch of stuff around. I liked my Sportback, but was too afraid to mod it because of the transmission.

I have had my share of Hondas. Once you go turbo AWD you will never go back if you have a choice.