EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Lancer Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general-266/)
-   -   What are your opinion on the nav's music server (owners of nav only please)? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general/430557-what-your-opinion-navs-music-server-owners-nav-only-please.html)

kal0051 Jun 29, 2009 10:08 PM

What are your opinion on the nav's music server (owners of nav only please)?

How do you like the usability of the nav's music server. Personally I love the idea, but before I burn a portion of my music collection to transfer to it (and yes I know I can't copy as mp3s) I'd like to know just how good it is. I'll probably still use my ipod occasionally (have too much music, lol), but my favourite cds are going on the nav. Also, how much space is reserved for the music server (will help to weed out which cds go on it). Thanks. Oh, and some pics of the music server would be nice.

rams3234 Jun 29, 2009 11:41 PM

Ehh the music server is OKAY. I did not use it much on my GTS because everytime I put a CD in there to copy, it came out all choppy. I think if you are going to download a CD into the system you should do it at a stand still instead of driving so it comes out better. I personally always just used MP3 CD's.

DatRAzn Jun 29, 2009 11:51 PM

I've never had a "choppy" rip, I rip CD's while driving all the time. The only that I notice once in awhile about the music server, is that there is a slight pause in between each song. Doesn't bother me much at all, because 9/10 times I don't notice it. If I'm not mistaken, there is around 5-6 GB dedicated to music on the 40g HDD.

Drows Jun 30, 2009 09:00 AM

I've put about 15 cds onto the HDD, I've NEVER heard anything choppy, or a skip. I'm always driving when I rip the cd's about 1/2 were original cds and 1/4 copys and 1/4 mp3 converted to cd. Sound is good.

rams3234 Jun 30, 2009 09:36 AM

Hmmm I guess my GTS was just messed up then...well w/e glad I switched into a RA {thumbup}

razkal Jun 30, 2009 09:35 PM

The only thing that is annoying is the silent gap between songs. Especially for mixed Cds, ruins the experience for me.

I use my iPhone on AUX like 90% of the time.

GTE28 Jul 1, 2009 07:06 AM

yeah I find when i'm listening to my CD with burned mp3's the lag between songs (when fast forwarding or reversing) is quite long...a bit annoying actually. I haven't tried listening to regular music CD's in the MMCS however. With the server there is very little lag between songs.

I'm quite happy with it so far though. Its just too bad that you can't copy the mp3's directly to the server, its gotta be burned to a music CD to do this.

Drows Jul 1, 2009 07:49 AM

Really wish they would have let us just put the mp3's over ourselves. I had to convert several cds and reburn as cds (from mp3's), lot of time wasted to get the files I started with on the HDD heh. I like the music server feature (though I mostly listen to Sirius now since it's free. I'll probably end up keeping it.

Originally Posted by GTE28 (Post 7232841)
yeah I find when i'm listening to my CD with burned mp3's the lag between songs (when fast forwarding or reversing) is quite long...a bit annoying actually. I haven't tried listening to regular music CD's in the MMCS however. With the server there is very little lag between songs.

I'm quite happy with it so far though. Its just too bad that you can't copy the mp3's directly to the server, its gotta be burned to a music CD to do this.

aestival Jul 1, 2009 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitRA (Post 7228071)
I've never had a "choppy" rip, I rip CD's while driving all the time. The only that I notice once in awhile about the music server, is that there is a slight pause in between each song. Doesn't bother me much at all, because 9/10 times I don't notice it. If I'm not mistaken, there is around 5-6 GB dedicated to music on the 40g HDD.

Ditto -- mine's also error-free (no skips, choppiness, or other flaws).

The ripping itself is almost painfully slow -- switch to satellite or radio while ripping, and it goes marginally faster (don't switch to playing from the music server itself while ripping, or the ripping gets even slower than while playing from CD).

The player ought to support import of MP3/AAC CDs and DVDs -- very sad that it doesn't.

kal0051 Jul 1, 2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drows (Post 7232991)
Really wish they would have let us just put the mp3's over ourselves. I had to convert several cds and reburn as cds (from mp3's), lot of time wasted to get the files I started with on the HDD heh. I like the music server feature (though I mostly listen to Sirius now since it's free. I'll probably end up keeping it.

yeah, the burning cds is what I'm dreading, since I have a large music collection so I'll need quite a few cds and a lot of wasted time. I'll probably start burning the cds now so when I get my car in a couple months I'll have all my music. I don't know if I'll keep the sat radio, don't know if I'll like the sirius stations enough, but we'll see.

MacGyverGT Jul 1, 2009 05:12 PM

The music server plays back fine in my RA, however the interface is rather "wonky" and I tend to just use my Ipod to listen to music through the AUX input.

It seems like the interface could have been made more user friendly or allow the ability to sort or search via more categories. However I would trade all of that for full Ipod controls (wonder why they can't do that) via the fullspeed cable and seeing track data on the nev screen, etc.

When I use the Ipod through AUX, it seems to be a bit quieter than when listening to a CD or the radio. I've thought of getting an amp and replacing the stock speakers with something middle of the road to improve on this but don't know if it will necessarily help with the low volume levels through the AUX input.