EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Lancer Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general-266/)
-   -   Winter 2009, Harsh Starting Issues (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general/459822-winter-2009-harsh-starting-issues.html)

DatRAzn Nov 23, 2009 07:11 AM

Winter 2009, Harsh Starting Issues

Yay...another winter season, same problem that :mitsu: still has no idea about. A couple of us in the cold weather states saw this problem last year, and I believe :mitsu: still has no fix for it(?).

Went out to start my car this morning...it cranked and started fine, but it died just before it could idle. Stalled out? Started it up again, same thing. Third time, I blipped the throttle right as it started up, and it idled ok.

Another starting issue I've noticed, is that sometimes the car won't start at all. After a 4-5 second crank...nothing. When you wait a little bit (30ish seconds), and try again, it'll start up exactly like I described previously.

So, the purpose of this thread is to keep track of how many other people/how many times this happens. Maybe we can get a some insight to the problem, is it a climate issue (temp/humidity/etc)? Or mechanical issue (mods?)?

If this happens to you at all this winter, post up! :) I'll start it out, :beer:.
If you don't know where to get all the climate condition info, just hop on The Weather Channel and type in your ZIP code, take data from there.

Just copy/paste my format and add your own description of what happened to it.

Region: SE Michigan
Date: 11/23/2009
Time: 8:57am

Climate Conditions:
Partly Cloudy
Altitude: ~800ft
Temp: 43°F
Barometer: 29 inHg
Humidity: 94%
Air pressure: 30.24 in

Modifications:
K&N Drop-In Air Filter

xi Nov 23, 2009 07:32 AM

Had that problem this weekend, it usually starts immediately when I crank it. Took about 2-3 seconds on the 2nd try. The 1st try was as you've described, it cranked and fired up then died. Temperature was ~37 degrees. Everything is bone stock.

Psycho09RA Nov 23, 2009 08:01 AM

I heard that there was an ECU flash that fixes this issue. Don't remember the TSB # for it though. Also, the 2008 Lancer's needed to get replacement Relays in the engine compartment fuse box in order to resolve the hard starting issues in cold weather (might be related?).

I too have experienced this issue, but my dealership was "unable to recreate" the issue, so they refused to perform the TSB. Luckily I don't encounter this issue very often, but it is annoying when it occurs.

DatRAzn Nov 23, 2009 08:31 AM

^It "supposidly" does, but I've had the cold weather reflash done...didn't fix it.

Ice[DDZ] Nov 23, 2009 08:35 AM

I've also had this occur. Has never been below 32 degrees when it occurs, I do recall that once started, everytime it happen it was 37 degrees or lower. It has never happen mid-day when the sun is out to help keep the car warm. Always in the morning. I'll have to capture the exact weather conditions when it occurs again.

I will also ensure I approach my dealer about this one, I unfortunately doubt they will do anything about it. It's taken them 3 visits to still not fix my driver's side speaker from cutting in and out.

Taranis Nov 23, 2009 08:37 AM

I have experienced a similar issue in my 2010, so unfortunately I do not think they have actually fixed the problem. I've had my car for almost 2 months now, and it has happened maybe 3 times, and it hasn't even been that cold. I've been trying to see if there is any sort of pattern, but nothing obvious yet. Basically I just try to start it and it keeps cranking until I stop it. Usually on the second attempt once I stop trying to start it the engine seems to barely "catch" and sputters to life. But of course it is not easily reproducible, so that dealership can't / won't do anything. =/

-Taranis

DatRAzn Nov 23, 2009 08:46 AM

I'm about to just take a video camera into the car every time I start it up in the morning...I'll catch it on video eventually...:lol:

Taranis Nov 23, 2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitRA (Post 7735797)
I'm about to just take a video camera into the car every time I start it up in the morning...I'll catch it on video eventually...:lol:

Hah. Sad, but true! =)

-Taranis

C H Nov 23, 2009 09:03 AM

Mitsu tech said it is a common problem on the 4B11T and to just keep cranking until it starts. Otherwise they need to replace the plugs and change the oil since the engine is prone to flooding if it doesn't start and you try again immediately after.

evo_soul Nov 23, 2009 09:27 AM

possibly make a switch to a 0w30 and see if there is much of an improvement. i dont think its the oil. temps just arent low enough to be that much of a bother. u can ask for a spark inspection and swap out for somethings else. problem with a weak fire in the sequence will trigger an abort.

that said... could be anything... i recommend getting an active monitoring scan tool.

then u can see see if anything else is a miss.

crpearce Nov 23, 2009 09:43 AM

There have been quite a number of mid to low 30s mornings so far this Fall, and I haven't had any issues with the car starting. My RA is bone stock, too. If I begin to experience problems, I will let you all know.

Jyrk Nov 23, 2009 04:36 PM

How much gas was in the car at the time of the problem? I had this once but my car was just under 1/4 when it happened.. Haven't ran that low since and it hasn't happened again.

No idea if its related or not.. tossing it out there anyways.

DatRAzn Nov 23, 2009 04:43 PM

Full tank of gas. Happens sporadically, hoping to catch it on video soon. :)

EricJ@AMS Nov 23, 2009 05:12 PM

I've had it happen twice now.

dukeds Nov 23, 2009 05:45 PM

i read on the forum somewhere that cranking up the engine while stepping on the gas paddel would help. I tried once last winter with my GTS it did work. The temperature of Vancouver Canada in winter time rarely drops below -10C