EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Lancer Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general-266/)
-   -   Wheel is shaking (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general/523071-wheel-shaking.html)

chlucero Nov 3, 2010 03:31 PM

Wheel is shaking

So I just put new rims and tires on my car and now the steering wheel shakes alot when I am traveling 70+ MPH. Any ideas on why or how to fix this?

Geereg Nov 3, 2010 03:35 PM

I assume they were balanced?

AntiBlitz Nov 3, 2010 03:35 PM

Mounted and balanced? btw i have same problem mine is just around 70 mph steering wheel shakes to death and stops before and after it like yours. Mine were balanced and what not just not sure why they do it as it didnt do it before the new rims

Magnus82 Nov 3, 2010 03:38 PM

Hub rings?

Same thing happened to me. I had new wheels installed last week... had a lot of vibration in my steering wheel and when I checked my wheels... they didn't install hub rings even though they said they were going to. Had them installed and all is good.

evil03 Nov 3, 2010 03:51 PM

hub rings for sure... and check the balance on the wheels to be safe!

did you read my wheels fitment thread?

jkennedy293 Nov 3, 2010 04:33 PM

Also check that the lugs were properly torqued as well.

DatRAzn Nov 3, 2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jkennedy293 (Post 8807354)
Also check that the lugs were properly torqued as well.

I was just going to suggest this. {thumbup}.

Hub rings, balance, lug torque.

jan_ralliart Nov 3, 2010 04:51 PM

many possibility can cause that~
1. over torque the wheels
2. wheels deflected
3. wheels not balanced correctly
4. hub centric rings
it s more likely the wheels not balanced correctly because the vibration only appears at high speed

T67@20ART Nov 3, 2010 06:24 PM

I had the same thing happen after getting new tires, at around 70 mph steering wheel would vibrate, after rotating tires front to back, it was smooth as butter, so I had the wheels rebalanced and vibration went away.

crpearce Nov 3, 2010 08:32 PM

Make sure that your tire pressure is even all around, too.

When I got my new tires, I noticed a minor vibration in the steering wheel at speeds around 60+ MPH. After having the dealer check the balancing a couple of times, I was able to decrease the vibration by simply making sure that the tire pressure was where it needed to be.

lancer0220 Nov 3, 2010 09:00 PM

going to guess its hub rings as this has happened to me before. get the right ones for the wheels / cars bore size (67.1mm i believe)

RGRA Nov 4, 2010 06:08 AM

This is a good thread to bring attention to getting aftermarket rims w. tires installed in the mail, assuming that's what you did. I've purchased 4 sets of the rims over the years that way, and three of times, the wheels were out of balance. I've never had a hub size issue, but that should be easy enough to check online, or by simply calling the supplier to make sure your hub size matches up with the car. If it does, just get the rims/tires (re)balanced and you'll be good to go.

Kieffer87 Nov 4, 2010 06:27 AM

Same thing happened to me. I retoqued the wheels, still did it, took it in they aligned it still did it, rebalanced the wheels, still did it, took it back they rebalanced teh wheels again and now it's butter smooth.

chlucero Nov 4, 2010 06:36 AM

Well I guess I can take it back to DT and see. Thanks for the response!