EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Lancer Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general-266/)
-   -   H&R spring rates & coilover question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general/743753-h-r-spring-rates-coilover-question.html)

robban87 Oct 3, 2017 11:11 PM

H&R spring rates & coilover question

Hi!

I am considering doing something about the handling of my RA. I have been doing a lot of research on coilovers and it seems BC Racing provides the best value for money. A cheaper option would be the Tein street basis which have the same spring rates as the BC’s but doesn’t have adjustable dampers. Even cheaper would be Eibach Pro or H&R springs which lowers the car without screwing up your stock dampers.

Now for the questions. Anyone know the spring rates of the eibachs and h&r’s? How do they “cooperate” with the stock dampers when it comes to body roll and daily driveability? Finally, has anyone compared the teins to the bc’s when it comes to daily driveability?

Robdee30 Oct 11, 2017 05:49 AM

As far as I can tell, people have been very adamant that if you just want lowering springs to get swift. They are supposedly the best choice for stock struts. I would also like to know about the Tein vs BC. I would assume that BC would be the best performing setup for street and track. I have been looking into the Tein basis z for coilovers simply because my car is a DD. I have read that the Teins are a great replacement vs the stock setup. Do you track your car at all? If you do then the street basis are out.

robban87 Oct 11, 2017 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robdee30 (Post 11777504)
As far as I can tell, people have been very adamant that if you just want lowering springs to get swift. They are supposedly the best choice for stock struts. I would also like to know about the Tein vs BC. I would assume that BC would be the best performing setup for street and track. I have been looking into the Tein basis z for coilovers simply because my car is a DD. I have read that the Teins are a great replacement vs the stock setup. Do you track your car at all? If you do then the street basis are out.

No I don’t track the car very often. To me it seems there is a general consensus around Eibach Pro being the best spring only solution. Problem for me is I live in Sweden where H&R is easy to get and Eibach Pro or Swift means I have to import from the US.

Regarding Tein vs BC, it seems the street basis and BC coils have about the same spring rates, so it becomes a matter of which dampers will suit a DD best...

superhawk996 Dec 9, 2017 05:45 PM

I have the Swifts on a 2009 Ralliart (sedan) after debating other springs / coilovers. I think it comes down to the qualities you're looking for (I know these are a bit apples-to-oranges, but these forums reflected my experiences):

Swifts (stock struts) in Seattle, WA area
+ Great for daily driving, handle potholes and uneven pavement well.
+/- Car feels more planted than stock, but still has some body roll at speed.
+ Wife thinks the car is as comfortable as it was stock.
- Drop (visually) is unsatisfying to me - car doesn't look lowered enough.

Tein SSPs (coilovers) in Los Angeles, CA area on 2001 MR2 Spyder
- Awful with uneven pavement.
+ Car felt more planted at all times, stuck like glue (as long as my tires were good).
- Wife hated the ride comfort of the car.
+ Drop (visually) was satisfying to me - looked lowered.

H&R Sports (stock struts) in Los Angeles, CA area on 1997 Eclipse GSX
- Didn't do great with uneven pavement.
- Car felt more planted than stock, but not particularly balanced.
- Wife (girlfriend at the time) commented on the car being a little uncomfortable.
+ Drop (visually) was satisfying to me - looked lowered.