EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Lancer Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general-266/)
-   -   New Guy - Questions Abbound (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general/754752-new-guy-questions-abbound.html)

mustang5o Jun 9, 2019 10:27 AM

New Guy - Questions Abbound

I'm looking at a Lancer Ralliart for a fun daily driver vehicle. From my username and vehicle list you might see I have a 2019 Mustang GT which will be my track day\good weather car. I've always been a Mustang fan but I've come to appreciate the imports as well. Especially when you can get great performance and AWD. I almost bought one of the last Focus RS' and an older track prepped Mustang but I got drawn into the new Mustang and I really like it. So now I'm looking for something to drive around most days when I'm not driving the Mustang or the F250. Which is to say, the DD car will be getting most of the overall drive time since it will be driven year round (and I might be dumping the F250).

What are some of the highest mileage Ralliarts you've seen? I found some for sale with like 130K or 140K miles. Is it worth looking at these higher mileage cars?

I know the transmission can be a source of concern. On a higher mileage vehicle would you recommend changing the trans fluids right away? Probably all the fluids would be a good idea I suppose. While I'm on the subject of the transmission, anyone know what Kozmic charges for a rebuild? I've seen the prices on Jacks web site and was wondering how they compare. Asking because I've seen several for sale that have trans problems and thought about just starting with a rebuilder. Going to talk to a local shop on engine rebuild costs just to have that info as well.

What other maintenance items should I be on the look out for? Differentials? Transfer case (center diff)? Seems I read about a remote reservoir for something???

Are any of the years better than others?I was hoping to find a sportback but the few I've come across haven't worked out. I could have had one about 14 hours away but the distance kept me from pulling the trigger.

WRX's are also on my list of cars to consider but it's crazy the prices they ask. Similar years/miles the RA's are a little lower from what I've seen. With a few exceptions. I like the look of the Lancers better overall and figure they are more unique. I guess that's a plus and a minus since parts and stuff might be easier to come by for the WRX.

Still reading up on these cars but any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

MinusPrevious Jun 9, 2019 01:24 PM

Hey Welcome @mustang5o

My EvO9 is my weekender / track car & drive a Scion for the DD

Cant help too much w/the RA questions, but hoping the guys chime in w/some tips

Always been a Blue Oval Mustang fan & have run w/them at the track. Always a competitive drive w/those guys

Joe :beer:

mustang5o Jun 9, 2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11875540)
Hey Welcome @mustang5o

My EvO9 is my weekender / track car & drive a Scion for the DD

Cant help too much w/the RA questions, but hoping the guys chime in w/some tips

Always been a Blue Oval Mustang fan & have run w/them at the track. Always a competitive drive w/those guys

Joe :beer:

Thanks. Haven't seen any EVOs at the road courses I go to but the guy who really got me going on track has a son who autocrosses an EVO. If I had a bit more spare cash I would consider the EVO MR. Just thinking an automatic would be better for my DD.

MinusPrevious Jun 9, 2019 07:51 PM

Yeah, my DD is an auto as well. No fun clutching a DD, especially in traffic

Spotting EvO's at the track is becoming more of a rarity these days. Was at a HPDE this weekend & not one EvO, except for mine & i was just there hard parking =)

mustang5o Jun 10, 2019 05:27 AM

I bet many people are not wanting to risk there cars since they aren't made anymore.

Laza Jun 13, 2019 08:39 AM

Some things to look out for / check:
* ACD pump; prone to corrosion
* Timing chain; stretch issues, mine was replaced at 130 000kms. Better change it before it causes actual issues (when warning light has come on).
* Transmission; with frequent oil changes most problems can be avoided so check the service history

mustang5o Jun 13, 2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Laza (Post 11876081)
Some things to look out for / check:
* ACD pump; prone to corrosion
* Timing chain; stretch issues, mine was replaced at 130 000kms. Better change it before it causes actual issues (when warning light has come on).
* Transmission; with frequent oil changes most problems can be avoided so check the service history

Thanks for the info. The current one I'm considering has less than 60K miles. I would plan to change trans fluid and oil very soon. Should I also plan for a transfer case and diff fluid change as well? Then I'd look into replacing timing chain next year. We'll see if this works out. I almost had a good deal on an STI today.

Laza Jun 15, 2019 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by mustang5o (Post 11876097)
Should I also plan for a transfer case and diff fluid change as well?

Yeah makes sense to change those as well. Also check for leaks, the seals in the diff case needed replacement in my case also as they were a bit leaky.

mustang5o Jun 15, 2019 06:05 AM

Thanks again.