Notices

Beware of Brake/Rotor Failure

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of Brake/Rotor Failure

8,500 miles;

Front left rotor is completely gone; scratched, messed up to the bottom.

Dealer says it could be normal wear and tear and they wouldn't cover it by my warranty, then a friend that works there tried to convince them otherwise cause that does not look like normal wear and tear with only 8,500miles, no matter how hard I pushed the car; I have never tracked the car, ever, not once.

It started happening on Saturday when a friend told me he was hearing something come off the front wheel, from the rotor to be exact;

I checked the front rotors to make sure; everything was fine; Sunday I didn't move the car at all; then Monday morning I went to work and the noise was unbearable.... when I got out the car, my left rotor all scratched and I could barely brake

I had to move the car again to take it to the dealer later after work, and when I got there the rotor was gone... (I made it using the e-brake) my friend at the dealer told me they might be able to rectify the rotor, but in case they couldn't I Had to pay for it but he was going to go the extra mile to get them to cover the rotors as well.

I left the car at the dealer yesterday;

He called me 10 minutes ago saying I can't pick up the car today either cause they're waiting for "special" pads from Alabama.

So tomorrow is when I can get her back

They rectified the rotors, and will be covering all the pads, repairs and labor by my warranty. They still have to explain to me why and how did the pads wore out COMPLETELY at only 8,500 miles and weekends spirited driving (you really can't be driving "spirited" in Miami, you'll get ur *** kicked by Doral and/or Pinecrest Police)

I'm waiting for a report from the dealer; I should get it tomorrow when they release my darling, to see wtf is going on;
Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:20 PM

I knew the brakes were a weak point on the car but that is extreme. That is great that you got all that under warrenty. Let us know how it goes!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It would depend on how "spirited" the driving is.
I work next to a cab repair place and certain cabbies would need like, a new pad every 2-3 months and new rotors every year.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xi
It would depend on how "spirited" the driving is.
I work next to a cab repair place and certain cabbies would need like, a new pad every 2-3 months and new rotors every year.
I know, I'm really not sure why it happen so suddenly; My wife's ES has 22,000 miles on them and the pads are 70% gone... I drove that car hard for the first 10,000 miles until I got the RA;

problem is I use my car 7 days a week so I supposed I'd need new pads by 14,000 miles; the funny thing is that only the LEFT front pad is gone completely and so is the rotor... all other 3 rotors pads are good for some extra wear

I'm also trying to make some sense here, and guessing the left pad should leave first than the rest cause there's more weight there since that's where the driver's located.... but I didn't expect it to leave soooooooooo suddenly and drastically
Old Jul 7, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the caliper is frozen. You should make sure they check it.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ +1 If some crap gets into the slide or it rusts up, the caliper won't fully release again after braking. On most cars it's protected with a rubber boot, but they can still seize up (like on my past car). Though...that shouldn't be happening <10,000 miles...
Old Jul 7, 2009, 04:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jkennedy293
Sounds like the caliper is frozen. You should make sure they check it.
Winner. Caliper is probably dragging.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
^ +1 If some crap gets into the slide or it rusts up, the caliper won't fully release again after braking. On most cars it's protected with a rubber boot, but they can still seize up (like on my past car). Though...that shouldn't be happening <10,000 miles...
that's exactly what I was thinking, that it wouldnt release for some reason cuz after I had applied some braking and let go of the pedal, the pads were still rubbing to the rotor, which caused all the damage

I didn't tell them but I hope they find out/understand/are cautious enough as to check every single possible issue

I never had a frozen caliper on any car i owned but it sounds like it cause of the rubbing issue ion a single rotor, while all 3 remaining pads are still good and usable for at least couple more months

if it is frozen then I suppose warranty should cover replacing the caliper... or rebuilding it?

damn, rebuilding a damn caliper of a 2009 car with 8 thousand miles.... wtf
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

If a caliper is frozen, wouldn't the car drag a bit?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
If a caliper is frozen, wouldn't the car drag a bit?
the pad draggs/grinds agains the rotor cause it's stays a bit pressed against it cuz of what velocityhead said; maybe a piston is rust cause of a boot giving out on it so it wont allow the caliper to full release backwards (depress); I didn't fully inspect anything I just took it straight to the dealer to have them fix it soonest!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:39 PM

i have had mine for about 3500 miles and i just stated hearing a squealing from the front left brake myself. and i dont drive hard enough to say the rotor or pads gone at 3200 miles. not happy ill tell you that much.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

the pads tend to squeal when the rotors are cold... does it happen after driving for a while or only at the beginning?

if it aint that, make sure you have them checked before what happened to me happens to you too!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
the pads tend to squeal when the rotors are cold... does it happen after driving for a while or only at the beginning?

if it aint that, make sure you have them checked before what happened to me happens to you too!

only when they get nice and hot do thay start to squeal. they dont do it when there cold. but when you say get them checked befor what do you mean?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

tell them you want the brembro upgrade at their cost
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by havock28
tell them you want the brembro upgrade at their cost
too bad the Evo has a different braking system, so them brembo's won't fit on our cars.

Quick Reply: Beware of Brake/Rotor Failure