Notices

AMS Ralliart's Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it the offset or overall width that prevents them from fitting? Since most of the RA owners seem to be moving toward wider rims (but maintaining the offset), this might be an important thing to know. Either way, if you can post the wheel template soon, I think that will help a lot of us out when deciding what aftermarket rim to go with.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

The ap kit is from tmr in Australia, but hasn't been released yet.

Thanks for the info Eric and appreciate the effort in developing this kit for us ralliart guys
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by billyboy1
The ap kit is from tmr in Australia, but hasn't been released yet.
Nice. I'll keep a lookout for it. Will be interesting to see what the price ends up being. Good to see that it fits under the stock rims
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Is it the offset or overall width that prevents them from fitting? Since most of the RA owners seem to be moving toward wider rims (but maintaining the offset), this might be an important thing to know. Either way, if you can post the wheel template soon, I think that will help a lot of us out when deciding what aftermarket rim to go with.
The offset is going to be the deciding factors. You will need the right offset to be able to clear the calipers.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
The offset is going to be the deciding factors. You will need the right offset to be able to clear the calipers.
If that's the case, then these brakes won't work without rolling the fenders. If a mid 40s offset won't clear them, it doesn't leave us a lot of options.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

besides getting new rims to ditch the pizza cutter spec rims that the RA came with
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billyboy1
besides getting new rims to ditch the pizza cutter spec rims that the RA came with
You missed my point. If you want to switch out to a wider, aftermarket rim (which no one is disputing that a Ralliart owner should do), you will be limited in your options because of the offset required to clear the brakes. Running anything wider than 225 with an offset of less than 40 will occasionally rub in day-to-day driving and definitely will rub if lowered.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Will spacers remedy the situation though? I know that we would need wider fenders for it if that is the case. It just seems like alot to do just to improve on the brakes. If you have money then your definetely not limited to what you can do to the car. New Rims + Suspension + Brake Kit + Possible Spacers + Wider Fenders= I should have bought an Evo.

Then again SS brake lines and upgraded rotors and pads is probably best for the weekend warrior.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by japan101
Will spacers remedy the situation though? I know that we would need wider fenders for it if that is the case. It just seems like alot to do just to improve on the brakes. If you have money then your definetely not limited to what you can do to the car. New Rims + Suspension + Brake Kit + Possible Spacers + Wider Fenders= I should have bought an Evo.

Then again SS brake lines and upgraded rotors and pads is probably best for the weekend warrior.
Spacers don't really solve the problem. The problem is that wider tires at the proper offset (doesn't matter how you get there) will require some type of fender rolling/widening.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:21 PM

Spacers could solve the brake clearance axially but not radially. Also like it has been said, you'll have to roll the fenders or something to get the tires to fit. You need a combination of both depending on the offset and the tires.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

No one really knows for sure whether you will "have" to roll the fenders because no body actually knows what offset they will require. Also, there will be no problem radially with 18". If you want to go down to 16", then you might run into some problems.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry guys, I know you all have a lot of questions about what will and will not fit. When we get some time here I will have the guys build a downloadable PDF outlining the dimensions of the kit and how you can use that to determine what wheels will and will not fit.

18" diameter are required but offset, and spoke design are just as pertinent when choosing a wheel to clear any brig brake kit.

Eric
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

No one really knows for sure whether you will "have" to roll the fenders because no body actually knows what offset they will require. Also, there will be no problem radially with 18". If you want to go down to 16", then you might run into some problems.
I can tell you right now that you definitely WILL need to roll your fenders if you try to run EVO X rims on the Ralliart. Outside of that, it might or might not be necessary. If, with a >40 offset, the rims won't clear the brakes, you will need to move to <40 offset.

Right now, with +38 rims and 235s, I will occasionally rub at STOCK height. If lowered, I would rub and need to have my fenders rolled. Anecdotal? Sure. Relevent and applicable to most Ralliart owners. I hope so.

I will say that I find the 18" rim requirement to be a bit disconcerting. There are some nice 18" options for rims, but I don't want to limit my options like that. Further, I don't think that a brake kit should require us to make those kinds of concessions when choosing aftermarket options. I know of other brake kids with even larger rotors that can fit under 17"s, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Larger calipers maybe?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I will say that I find the 18" rim requirement to be a bit disconcerting. There are some nice 18" options for rims, but I don't want to limit my options like that.
Evo X can't go any smaller then 18". So what's the problem?

Further, I don't think that a brake kit should require us to make those kinds of concessions when choosing aftermarket options. I know of other brake kids with even larger rotors that can fit under 17"s, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Larger calipers maybe?
If you don't like it, no one is going to force you to buy it, so why complain? If you want good strong clamping power, you will suffice. Otherwise....
Old Sep 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Evo X can't go any smaller then 18". So what's the problem?

If you don't like it, no one is going to force you to buy it, so why complain? If you want good strong clamping power, you will suffice. Otherwise....
Well, I'll admit: I'm not exactly certain of what you are trying to say. My point was we already know what has to happen if we want these brakes to fit. And I'm not complaining; I'm simply stating that I have seen BBKs with 13" rotors that don't require 18" rims. 17" yes, but not 18". I'm guessing that it varies from kit to kit, but we will have to wait for Eric to supply us with a wheel-fitment guide.

Quick Reply: AMS Ralliart's Brake Kit