Notices

Noise from turning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise from turning

Ok guys got another one of those questions to see if anyone else has it or how to get rid of it. I got a clicking noise from turning hard when driving slow mostly backing out of things or pulling into things at low speeds like 10mph or lower it is very prominate. The noise seems to be coming from what sounds like directly behind the steering wheel, some kind of belt or pulley or something. I just newly installed about a month ago some springs, now it never did this prior to them, so i kno for sure it must be them that is the root cause for this. However do i need to get something checked?, do i need to have my alignment done? Just totally confused has to what to do to fix it as most things i do myself and i dont take to anyone. So if anyone else has this noise please post and let me kno im not alone
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
Ok guys got another one of those questions to see if anyone else has it or how to get rid of it. I got a clicking noise from turning hard when driving slow mostly backing out of things or pulling into things at low speeds like 10mph or lower it is very prominate. The noise seems to be coming from what sounds like directly behind the steering wheel, some kind of belt or pulley or something. I just newly installed about a month ago some springs, now it never did this prior to them, so i kno for sure it must be them that is the root cause for this. However do i need to get something checked?, do i need to have my alignment done? Just totally confused has to what to do to fix it as most things i do myself and i dont take to anyone. So if anyone else has this noise please post and let me kno im not alone
I just created a thread with the exact same problem...didnt see this one before

So my car has developed a new noise that doesn't sound good. When turning the wheel either direction I get a grinding/quick popping/creaking sound coming from the firewall area. It happens while sitting still or in motion and is most noticeable when pulling into or out of a parking spot (I think mainly due to the low speeds making it easier to hear).

My first thought is upper strut bearing since the same thing happened on my GTI but that was more of a single pop like something that was wound up popping from tension. Being lowered is the main culprit in the GTIs and as my RA is lowered too it seems to be similar.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

^^ double post delete pls
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

what type of clicking noise is it making?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Account Disabled

its a suspension noise. I get it when its cold, goes away once the car warms up.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

nah cant be, like dajackson ended up saying in his post, its a rotational noise, hot or cold, its there, and its coming from the firewall area behind the steering wheel. Just think of like a chain n sprocket kinda noise in a box, this is how this sounds. Its not loud or disturbing just when people point it out to me when i drive the car i feel bad cuz its supposed to be nice. Not crealing and rattling and sounding like a neon
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Westbound&down
its a suspension noise. I get it when its cold, goes away once the car warms up.
nah cant be, like dajackson ended up saying in his post, its a rotational noise, hot or cold, its there, and its coming from the firewall area behind the steering wheel. Just think of like a chain n sprocket kinda noise in a box, this is how this sounds. Its not loud or disturbing just when people point it out to me when i drive the car i feel bad cuz its supposed to be nice. Not crealing and rattling and sounding like a neon
I just updated my post, mine does have something to do with temperature it seems. Last night after driving for a bit I couldn't get the noise to happen. This morning it was back. Its been below freezing the last few nights here.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

does it make this noise when turning the wheel or then its full lock? either side? when does it make this noise what are you doing when it happens?

and does this noise you hear sounds like this duh duh duh duh or is it a metal clicking?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil03
does it make this noise when turning the wheel or then its full lock? either side? when does it make this noise what are you doing when it happens?

and does this noise you hear sounds like this duh duh duh duh or is it a metal clicking?
The noise happens before getting to full lock and throughout the turn when the car is cold. Both left and right.

Its a clicking, metal sound.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

yep dajackson hit that right on the head lol, it just sounds like the steering wheel is clicking as i spin it from behind the firewall. left and right, and at extremely low speeds like idling backwards or forwards where u have to muscle the wheel and not the inertia of the tire spinning helping u.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:25 PM

I had the same exact noise. I took it to the dealership and I had a bad wheel bearing. Got it replaced.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

My mates EvoX just started doing this too (after being lowered for 8 months already).
Checked the strut brace (as this was an issus for someone else), and the strut's themselves. Still unable to find the cause of the issue.

He's taking it back to the dealer next week so I'll let everyone know what they say.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

it just sounds like some sort of linkage or something, im really not sure, its so damn cold out im not going to go outside and play under my hood to find out what it is lol, so once u find out let me kno jcm! thanks
Old Jan 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

anit...

what wheels do you have what springs and how low are you? camber set up?

i think i found out what your issue
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I get some noise when backing up and turning sharply because my aftermarket tires (stock size) rub slightly on the fender liner even on stock suspension.

Quick Reply: Noise from turning