Notices

Coilover recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evil03
either your contact dont know what they have or.... you got some bad info... i spoke with KW at SEMA and here is a line from turner shop

http://www.tunershop.com/Suspensions...h26_m7235.html

You might want to double check that part number. KW's site says its for CT0 not CY0. Regardless I will ping the KW guy again.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstevojr
I just gagged in those prices
Not really priced for the "individual consumer", those are more pro set-up prices, but the idea is noted
Price is slightly higher but the quality is there. Also with the price that high it will be very rare to see someone with that kit. To some that in itself is worth the bragging rights. To others, they see it as excessive and a waste of money.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not doubting the quality, I know they are awesome; those are for hard-core tracking. What I'm saying is at nearly $4K it's not exactly a "reasonable" option when someone wants to upgrade their DD. $1-2K can get you quite a few options for good coilovers, that will hold up to the occasional weekend track event. $4K is "slightly more" than "slightly more"
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I'm not doubting the quality, I know they are awesome; those are for hard-core tracking. What I'm saying is at nearly $4K it's not exactly a "reasonable" option when someone wants to upgrade their DD. $1-2K can get you quite a few options for good coilovers, that will hold up to the occasional weekend track event. $4K is "slightly more" than "slightly more"
still, many who have the money buy it anyway. I couldnt personally, I found my sweet spot balance between quality and price.

But some people will pay what ever the cost to get something that holds value to them. Brand loyalty, reputation, support. etc... etc...

but 1000 to 2000 for a daily drive is good. so long as the kit is expected to last.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil03
either your contact dont know what they have or.... you got some bad info... i spoke with KW at SEMA and here is a line from turner shop

http://www.tunershop.com/Suspensions...h26_m7235.html
Got another confirmation from KW regarding the clubsports:

from Tom Edge <xxxx>
to Bruce Herring <xxxx>
date Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM
subject RE: KW Automotive

hide details 1:15 PM (17 minutes ago)

Bruce

The kit being listed on both of these sites is the Clubsport from the
Evo 8 and 9.

While I believe this will fit the Lancer Ralliart (08+), we do not
recommend it for this use.

We currently have no specific Clubsport kit for the Ralliart vehicles.

Tom Edge
Senior Technical Advisor

KW automotive North America, Inc
1075 North Avenue
Sanger, CA 93657
Tel: +1 559.875.0222 ext. xxxx
Fax: +1 559.876.2259
Email:xxxx@kwautomotive.com

So, just to confirm they DO NOT make a clubsport kit for the 09+ Ralliart. The kits people are seeing are for the Evo VIII and IX. I image you could make it work, but I would never spend that kind of coin on coilovers that still require modification to fit.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:42 AM

I'm thinking about getting the KW V2's. how come everyone is so turned off based on the fact they aren't compatible with custom spring rates, whats wrong with the rate it comes with?.

as for the absence of camber plates in the front, this isn't necessary for the install right, they just bolt up like stock just without camber adjustment? or would i need to buy plates?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scarab23
I'm thinking about getting the KW V2's. how come everyone is so turned off based on the fact they aren't compatible with custom spring rates, whats wrong with the rate it comes with?.

as for the absence of camber plates in the front, this isn't necessary for the install right, they just bolt up like stock just without camber adjustment? or would i need to buy plates?
Depends, how much of a drop are you going for ?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:00 PM

probably go another inch all around on top of where I'm at right now with my sportlines. i don't need to buy more things to install these coils right, everything is included or reused from stock? i don't want to buy these and find that out that i need to buy camber plates. i can do that later down the road, but to bolt up i don't need them right, I'm good to go just buying these?

Last edited by Scarab23; Sep 11, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone tried the ISC N1's?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:56 PM

Coilovers

Originally Posted by BravoZero
Well I'd like to improve handling as well. It'll be both for function and for show. I hate the stock wheel gap so I would like to reduce that even if it's only a little more than an inch (Eibach Prokits for example), but I would also like the car to handle well, with the addition of upgraded swaybars and a rear strut bar of course.

Without a lot of abuse and exposure to road salt and sand, what's the average life of a set of coilovers compared to normal shocks and struts?
I was in the same position as you are a couple weeks ago. Didn't want to spend to much but wanted the ride for cornering i went with the KSport coilovers and i like them for the street scene.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone tried this? STD S1 Coilovers. i just came across them- im coilover shopping also.

http://www.maperformance.com/std-sus...td-mi-10x.html
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
<snip>
The kit being listed on both of these sites is the Clubsport from the
Evo 8 and 9.

While I believe this will fit the Lancer Ralliart (08+), we do not
recommend it for this use.
<snip>

So, just to confirm they DO NOT make a clubsport kit for the 09+ Ralliart. The kits people are seeing are for the Evo VIII and IX. I image you could make it work, but I would never spend that kind of coin on coilovers that still require modification to fit.
Sigh...if only they would fit without modification we'd have so many options (including Bilstein HDs, Sports and other kits)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
The rears are totally different on the 8/9 compared to the RA. It won't fit without a totally different bottom, at least.

The bottoms are DSM style, if I recall rear DSM struts correctly.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:01 AM

stance gr+ are great I've been running them for a while
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by sovietEVO
stance gr+ are great I've been running them for a while
Wrong forum.

Quick Reply: Coilover recommendations