Notices

EvoX steering rack on Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvoX steering rack on Ralliart

Ok folks, just trying to figure out if an evoX steering rack will bolt up to the Ralliart.

I have access to a spare EvoX one and want to bolt it up. But before I start stripping off the subframe and such I would like to know if anyone else has done it. Or if the mounting points are the same. I know the EvoX is a little wider so I will have to use shorter tie rods from the Ralliart.

EvoX Turn to Lock is 2.3
EvoX Steering Ratio is 13.3:1

Ralliart Turn to Lock is 3.2
Ralliart Steering Ratio is 15.2:1

If this works, the Ralliart will have the crisp tight point and shoot steering of the EvoX.

Thanks,
NEWB
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

EvoX steering rack.

Name:  DSC_0278.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  170.0 KB
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This would be a terrific RA tweak. Best of luck - I'm watching with great interest!

Rich
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
This would be a terrific RA tweak. Best of luck - I'm watching with great interest!

Rich
Wurd, I just need someone to measure the two mounting bolt brackets. Centre to centre. If this thing bolts up, were all in for some good times
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

very interested to see how this pans out!! although it may ruin the turning circle of the ra? only downside, but to get that crispness would be a well worthy trade!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

i'm just speculating, but i imagine the mount/bolt points are gonna be the same, the part that would worry me are the tie rods and tie rod ends. X's have a wider stance, so there's potential for the tie rods and ends to be too long to fit a RA. I see this playing out in 3 ways:

1) it's a perfect fit

2) the tie rod ends are too long... swapping for RA tie rod ends solves the issue

or

3) the tie rods are too long ... would require swapping the tie rods from a RA into the rack (assuming the tie rods can be removed)
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
I know the EvoX is a little wider so I will have to use shorter tie rods from the Ralliart.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by nunyas
i'm just speculating, but i imagine the mount/bolt points are gonna be the same, the part that would worry me are the tie rods and tie rod ends. X's have a wider stance, so there's potential for the tie rods and ends to be too long to fit a RA. I see this playing out in 3 ways:

1) it's a perfect fit

2) the tie rod ends are too long... swapping for RA tie rod ends solves the issue

or

3) the tie rods are too long ... would require swapping the tie rods from a RA into the rack (assuming the tie rods can be removed)
Thats what I'm trying to determine.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

One of the few complaints I have about the RA. This would be an awesome mod...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats what I'm trying to determine.
d'oh... that's what i get for skimming
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Be sure to add the EvoX power steering pump, as it differs than the RA's pump.

The smaller RA pump easily reaches its functional capacity with it's current ratio. Some folks (Sharky in PR?) have reported RA power steering limits surpassed during quick-steering maneuvers. You'll know when you reach the limit because, during heavier input you will briefly feel an abrupt halt in steering similar to the steering lock. This could end very badly if you are trying to quickly steer around an obstacle...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alterna

The smaller RA pump easily reaches its functional capacity with it's current ratio. Some folks (Sharky in PR?) have reported RA power steering limits surpassed during quick-steering maneuvers. You'll know when you reach the limit because, during heavier input you will briefly feel an abrupt halt in steering similar to the steering lock. This could end very badly if you are trying to quickly steer around an obstacle...
Good info! I dont know if its just the difference in the steering pump wheel or the whole mechanism.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

I thought the pump was the same, but the X has a PS cooler in the nose, where the RA doesn't?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alterna

I felt this very thing in the RA, on a skidpan course. It only happened in the first few months of ownership, so I guess I've changed my driving approach to avoid it (ie. smoother inputs). But it could also be heat-related, as the first few months of ownership was in summer...!

The X rack could indeed exacerbate this issue... great point.

Rich
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I thought the pump was the same, but the X has a PS cooler in the nose, where the RA doesn't?
O wow, this is turning into a bigger project then I thought...............fear not though. Coming weekend ill be able to measure things
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the Evo X "PS cooler" is little more than a pipe extension that loops around in the airflow. But it's there for a reason, and must be doing something right...

How about I just buy an X, and do a hatchback-swap. It'd surely be easier.

Rich

Quick Reply: EvoX steering rack on Ralliart