Notices

Coilovers - Street and Track

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Holy giant post Batman.

You can find bad reviews for HSD as well. Like I said, it doesn't matter what the product is, someone out there likes it and someone out there does not. People on here stood by Ksport, yet it's garbage. Same with Megan, a lot of Subaru guys love Megan and don't see why anyone would buy KW, Ohlin, etc. However, when the suspension is actually objectively tested, meaning a shock dyno, none of these cheap brands hold up.

An entire thread on HSD coilovers.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oil-overs.html
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you explain fortune auto being "crap" when they are dynoed?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Just being dynoed isn't enough, what do the dynos actually say? If it was my money, I wouldn't spend it on Megan, Fortune Auto, Ksport, etc.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:27 PM

You contradict yourself. You said let them be shock dynoed and none of them will hold up. All fortune auto coilover are shock dynoed... And they hold up..
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nv82
You contradict yourself. You said let them be shock dynoed and none of them will hold up. All fortune auto coilover are shock dynoed... And they hold up..
No I didn't. You can shock dyno any suspension setup out there, but it doesn't mean it's good. I also said the fact someone, somewhere, said Fortune Auto is good does not make it good; there are people that stand by those electric superchargers. If it's my money, I would spend it on a kit from a manufacturer with a reputation for performance, which Fortune Auto does not have. It's not in the same league as Bilstein, Ohlin, KW, Tein, AST, Koni, etc. and for that reason alone, I would not spend $1000+ on a kit from them.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Holy giant post Batman.

You can find bad reviews for HSD as well. Like I said, it doesn't matter what the product is, someone out there likes it and someone out there does not. People on here stood by Ksport, yet it's garbage. Same with Megan, a lot of Subaru guys love Megan and don't see why anyone would buy KW, Ohlin, etc. However, when the suspension is actually objectively tested, meaning a shock dyno, none of these cheap brands hold up.
Left the post in its largely untouched manner. I honestly don't care what you are going to buy but please don't say that you didn't say what you said. Anywho... Arguing reputation when you drive a Mitsubishi is ironic seeing how most of America thinks a Kia is better then anything that Mitsu makes.

Reputation doesn't mean better it many times just better known. If I were to buy on reputation I would have bought a Subaru because in the US of A Mitsubishi might aswell be a Yugo.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Left the post in its largely untouched manner. I honestly don't care what you are going to buy but please don't say that you didn't say what you said. Anywho... Arguing reputation when you drive a Mitsubishi is ironic seeing how most of America thinks a Kia is better then anything that Mitsu makes.

Reputation doesn't mean better it many times just better known. If I were to buy on reputation I would have bought a Subaru because in the US of A Mitsubishi might aswell be a Yugo.
Yes and reread what I said. I said, when tested objectively, none of these cheap brands hold up. I stand by that. Brands like Ksport, Megan, DGR, HSD, etc. are cheap for a reason. Yes you can shock dyno them, but the results are not as good or as consistent as brands like Bilstein, KW, Ohlin, Tein, etc. They're simply not in the same league.

I don't drive a Mitsubishi anymore. I'll offer an analogy using the brands you referenced. Do you see people driving Kia competitively? Do you see people, independent people mind, not those sponsored by a specific brand, using Ksport, Megan, HSD, Fortune Auto in competitive motorsports?

If all you care about is slamming your car, a cheap brand works. If that's your goal, you don't give a **** about performance anyways so it doesn't matter. However, I'm assuming the OP wants real performance, not poser, hellaflush performance thus I think he is better off spending his money on a reputable brand.

Last edited by ambystom01; Jun 15, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Do you see people, independent people mind, not those sponsored by a specific brand, using Ksport, Megan, HSD, Fortune Auto in competitive motorsports?
Yes (look at the bottom for competitors who have won with their products):
http://www.fortune-auto.net/shocktech.htm

You logic of "only use well known companies" is the equivalent of saying "he who spends the most for the advertising must be the best" or "if they say it on TV it must be true".
It would seem based on this comment:
If you don't recognize a brand and it's not popular among championship winning racers, it's not worth your business.
that the concept of business diffusion completely escapes you. Just because you happen to be a late majority type consumer, does not mean that innovators or early adopters are wrong in their product selection.

Do you see people driving Kia competitively?
Apparently you have never heard of Grand-Am racing, let alone the hugely dominating Kinetic Kia's
http://www.grand-am.com/Standings/ContinentalTire.aspx

I said, when tested objectively, none of these cheap brands hold up.
Again, false

And the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT statement you made:
I don't drive a Mitsubishi anymore.
Speaks for itself really......

Last edited by sstevojr; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Yes (look at the bottom for competitors who have won with their products):
http://www.fortune-auto.net/shocktech.htm

You logic of "only use well known companies" is the equivalent of saying "he who spends the most for the advertising must be the best" or "if they say it on TV it must be true".
It would seem based on this comment:

that the concept of business diffusion completely escapes you. Just because you happen to be a late majority type consumer, does not mean that innovators or early adopters are wrong in their product selection.

Apparently you have never heard of Grand-Am racing, let alone the hugely dominating Kinetic Kia's
http://www.grand-am.com/Standings/ContinentalTire.aspx

Again, false
Like I said, find competitors who are not sponsored by Fortune Auto, Ksport, whatever. I would run Fortune Auto if they were paying me to. However, how many independent competitors do you see promoting their products?

That's not the logic at all. In fact, I don't see Bilstein, KW, or Ohlin advertising as much as the other guys. When I open an import magazine, I see far more advertisements for lower brands. Same with on forums. Bilstein, KW, Ohlin, etc. don't need to advertise nearly as much because they've already proven themselves.

OK, I'll clarify. Do you see amateurs using Kias for series like Time Attack? This point is largely irrelevant anyways as it was purely in response to another poster's comments about Mitsubishi. Yes Kia is present in racing, or at least in one series. My point was simply that if these lower brands were as good as people said they were, they'd be used by people who need good suspension at a competitive price, namely racers. We don't see that at all.

OK, prove to me that these lower brands are on par with Ohlin, KW, Tein, AST, etc. So far, it's been all talk from the "supporters". I want real proof.

The fact remains that you get what you pay for. If you buy a $1000 set of coilovers, it'll perform like a $1000 set of coilovers. If you buy a more expensive kit from a reputable brand, it'll perform better. Good shocks don't come cheap. If you don't want to spend big bucks, that's fine, it's your car after all, but don't go spreading false information about how these entry-level, bargain basement kits are somehow comparable to the kits made by Ohlin, KW, Bilstein, or any of the other long-established brands.

Last edited by ambystom01; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

The fact remains that you get what you pay for. If you buy a $1000 set of coilovers, it'll perform like a $1000 set of coilovers. If you buy a more expensive kit from a reputable brand, it'll perform better. Good shocks don't come cheap. If you don't want to spend big bucks, that's fine, it's your car after all, but don't go spreading false information about how these entry-level, bargain basement kits are somehow comparable to the kits made by Ohlin, KW, Bilstein, or any of the other long-established brands.
None of that works. Why would you take the cheapest street coilover and try to compare them to a track coilover? No one would ever hope to get a $1000 coilover to keep up with a $4000, that's just silly. But you can get $2500 coilovers that will compete with the $4000 "well known brands".
Who's "spreading false information"?
Not one statement in this thread said $1000 coilovers are comparable to Ohlins, whatever. What it did say was the valving in the 510's and Dreadnaughts are on par with the valving in the "more expensive brands".
You are trying to take two extreme's, apply them absolutes, and make a stance. Once again, you are simply arguing to argue
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

None of that works. Why would you take the cheapest street coilover and try to compare them to a track coilover? No one would ever hope to get a $1000 coilover to keep up with a $4000, that's just silly. But you can get $2500 coilovers that will compete with the $4000 "well known brands".
Who's "spreading false information"?
Not one statement in this thread said $1000 coilovers are comparable to Ohlins, whatever. What it did say was the valving in the 510's and Dreadnaughts are on par with the valving in the "more expensive brands".
You are trying to take two extreme's, apply them absolutes, and make a stance. Once again, you are simply arguing to argue
I'm talking about the coilovers mentioned here, which are entry-level coilovers. I'm not comparing a $1000 set to a $4000 set, I'm comparing equivalent kits from the various brands, eg. fairly basic KWs to basic Megans, Fortune Autos, HSDs, etc. And no, you cannot get a $2500 set of coilovers that competes with a $4000 set of coilovers. If the OP wants a good dual purpose set of coilovers, I think it would be a bad idea to settle for those made by HSD, Ksport, Fortune Auto, etc. That is my point. The valving in those cheaper brands is not comparable anymore than McDonalds is comparable to an actual restaurant. You get what you pay for, 100%. Cheap coilovers from brands that a lot of automotive enthusiasts have never heard of will perform as you would expect, cheaply.

That's not what I'm doing at all, but feel free to attack me personally again, I'm sure that will end well .

He is trolling.....
Yes, I'm trolling. I've been here for nearly 10 years now but I've just been trolling the entire time . I'm providing honest advice to help the OP but no, you're right, I'm just trolling.

Last edited by ambystom01; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no need to get in to personal attacks. Everyone can express a point or two without getting overly defensive and off topic.

I think the debate is pretty interesting so far.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Well, kw only sell the v2 and not the v3 for the ralliart or for that matter the club sport would would have been perfect for my applicant, and bilstein and ohlins don't make coil overs for the ralliart. The only proper track coil overs that I've really come across is suprashock which are completely custom to ones needs and driving style and are built around it, but don't really want to fork out $10k... Would be good to know if there are any track orientated coil overs under $4k for the ralliart

On a side note, have found out that my racing logic can be fully rebuilt

Last edited by billyboy1; Jun 16, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billyboy1
Well, kw only sell the v2 and not the v3 for the ralliart or for that matter the club sport would would have been perfect for my applicant, and bilstein and ohlins don't make coil overs for the ralliart. The only proper track coil overs that I've really come across is suprashock which are completely custom to ones needs and driving style and are built around it, but don't really want to fork out $10k... Would be good to know if there are any track orientated coil overs under $4k for the ralliart

On a side note, have found out that my racing logic can be fully rebuilt
And there in lies the problem with Amby's need to argue. There are no Ohlins, there are no Bilstiens, there are no ASTs, and there are only the cheapest KW (not track suited). Why argue for something that doesn't exist?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

And there in lies the problem with Amby's need to argue. There are no Ohlins, there are no Bilstiens, there are no ASTs, and there are only the cheapest KW (not track suited). Why argue for something that doesn't exist?
Yep, once again you're 100% right, I'm just here to argue. That's why I actually went to Tirerack to find that KW does indeed make kits for the Ralliart, and provided a link.

AST will make a kit for your car. Therein lies the beauty of companies like AST which will make you a custom kit. That's probably far outside of the OP's budget though. The KWs I linked are not badly priced.

I used Ohlin, Bilstein, etc. as examples of quality manufacturers. However, don't let things like facts get in you way, I know they haven't in the past .

The cheapest KWs are far more track suited than anything by Fortune Auto, Ksport, Megan, etc.

Quick Reply: Coilovers - Street and Track